- Stingray City, Grand Cayman
s are found in abundance and visitors can feed, pet, and interact with the animals.
Stingray City is located in the shallow waters of the northwest corner of Grand Cayman's
North Sound. It is just inside a natural channel that passes through the barrier reefand consists of a string of sand bars that crosses the North Sound from Morgan Harborto Rum Point.
Stingray City and a second site near Rum Point Channel called Sandbar are known throughout the world and have been featured on prestigious television
documentariesand seen as underwater advertising backdrops for everything from automobilesto batteries.
Kissing the stingrays is believed to bring "seven years of good luck".Fact|date=June 2008
Local legend has it that the stingrays began gathering in the area decades ago when fisherman would return from an excursion and navigate behind a reef into the sound and clean the fish in the calm water of the shallows and sand bar area. The
fishguts were simply thrown overboard and the stingrays eventually congregated to feast on the discarded guts. Soon the stingrays began to associate the sound of a boat enginewith a free meal. As this practice turned into a tradition, local divers realized that the stingrays could be fed by hand. In 1987, Skin Diver Magazinesent a reporter to do an article on this anomaly which fascinated the world.
There are three ways to experience the rays, and each involves a short boat ride to the sandbar area at the North Sound.
* The most popular is a
snorkelingtrip, which has been called the best snorkeling experience in the world. This trip normally occurs in the heart of the sandbar where the water is only 3 to 5 feet deep.
* The second way to experience Stingray City is as a SCUBA diver. Dive groups consist of ten to twenty divers, wearing no fins as they may hurt the congregating stingrays. The divers are over-weighted, which keeps them on the bottom and the dive master swims from diver to diver dispersing diced squid and fish pieces. Stingrays quickly surround the divers.
* The third way to experience Stingray City is via
glass bottom boat, which is an alternative if the weather is too windy for snorkeling.
* Backstrom , D. (1999, 02, 17). Stingray City . Retrieved August 29, 2006, from The world's greatest 12' dive! Web site: http://www.cayman.org/divesite/stingray.htm/
* Garrison, L. (n.d.). Stingray City on Grand Cayman Island. Retrieved August 29, 2006, from About Web site: http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/stingray_city.htm/
* Layman , L. (2004). Stingray City, Grand Cayman. Retrieved August 30, 2006, from Be Stingray Friendly Web site: http://www.stingraycity.org/studio/
* Button, M. (2008). Stingray City, Grand Cayman. Retrieved May 1, 2008, from Moby Dick Tours Web site: http://www.mobydicktours.com/Stingray-City/Stingray-City.html
* [http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/stingray_city.htm/ Caribbean Shore Excursion]
* [http://www.cayman.org/divesite/stingray.htm/ North Sound, Grand Cayman]
* [http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=grand+cayman&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=19.375729,-81.304815&spn=0.003522,0.006781&t=h&om=1 Stingray City on Google Maps]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Grand Cayman — Infobox Islands name = Grand Cayman image caption = Grand Cayman from space, April 1994 image size = locator Location map|Cuba|lat=19.333333|long= 81.216667|caption=Grand Cayman (off the coast of Cuba) map custom = yes native name = native name… … Wikipedia
Grand Cayman — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Cayman. Grand Cayman Image satellite de Grand Cayman … Wikipédia en Français
Stingray City — 19° 22′ 33″ N 81° 18′ 17″ W / 19.3757, 81.3048 … Wikipédia en Français
Cayman Islands — Cayman Islands … Wikipedia
Stingray (disambiguation) — Stingrays are members of a family of rays related to skates and sharks.Stingray or Sting Ray may also refer to:Ichthyology*Deepwater stingrays (Plesiobatidae), family of rays **Deepwater stingray ( Plesiobatis daviesi ) *River stingrays… … Wikipedia
Stingray — This article is about the group of fishes. For other uses, see Stingray (disambiguation). Stingrays Temporal range: Early Cretaceous–Recent … Wikipedia
Cayman-Inseln — Cayman Islands Kaimaninseln … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cayman Islands — Kaimaninseln … Deutsch Wikipedia
Southern stingray — Conservation status Data Deficient … Wikipedia
CAY — Cayman Islands Kaimaninseln … Deutsch Wikipedia