Carniola ( _sl. Kranjska; _de. Krain) is a traditional and historical region of
Slovenia. As part of Austria-Hungary, the region was a crown landofficially known as the Duchy of Carniola("Vojvodina Kranjska, Herzogtum Krain") until 1918. The region is subdivided into Upper Carniola, Lower Carniola(with White Carniola), and Inner Carniola.
After the fall of the
Roman Empire, Lombardssettled in Carniola, followed by Slavsaround the 6th century AD. As a part of the German Empire, the area was successively ruled by Bavarian, Frankish and local nobility, and eventually fell to the Austrian Habsburgs almost continuously from 1335 to 1918, but many Ottoman raids and rebellions by local residents against Habsburg rule occurred from the 15th to the 17th centuries. From about 900 AD until the 20th century, Carniola's ruling classes and urban areas spoke German while the peasantry often spoke Slovenian.
The capital of Carniola, originally situated at
Kranj(Krainburg), was briefly moved to Kamnik(Stein) and finally to the current capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana(Laibach).
Antiquity and Middle Ages
Before the coming of the Romans (c. 200 BC), the
Tauriscidwelt in the north of Carniola, the Pannoniansin the south-east, the Iapodesor Carni, a Celtic tribe, in the south-west.
Carniola formed part of the
Roman provinceof Pannonia; the northern part was joined to Noricum, the south-western and south-eastern parts and the city of Aemonato Venice and Istria. In the time of Augustus all the region from Aemonato the Kolpariver (Culpa) belonged to the province of Savia.
After the fall of the Western Roman Empire (476), Carniola was incorporated into the Kingdom of Italy, and (493) under Theodoric it formed part of the
Ostrogothic kingdom. Between the upper Savaand the Sočarivers lived the Carni, and towards the end of the sixth century Slavssettled the region called by Latin writers "Carnia", or "Carniola" meaning 'little Carnia', i.e. part of greater Carnia. Later on the name was changed to Slavic "Krajina, Kranjska" or, in German, "Chrainmark, Krain". The new inhabitants were subjected to the Avars, but threw off their yoke, and joined the great Slavic state of Samo.
March of Carniola
Carniola was governed by the Franks about the year 788. When
Charlemagneestablished the margraviate of Friuli, he added to it a part of Carniola. After the division of Friuli, it became an independent margraviate, having its own Slavic margrave residing at Kranj, subject to the governor of Bavaria at first, and after 976 to the Dukes of Carinthia. Henry IV gave it to the Patriarch of Aquileia(1071).
In the Middle Ages the Church held much property in Carniola, thus in Upper and Lower Carniola the
Bishop of Freisingbecame in 974 a feudal lord of the city of Škofja Loka, the Bishop of Brixenheld Bledand possessions in the valley of Bohinj, and the Bishop of Lavantgot Mokronog. Among secular potentates the Dukes of Merano, Gorizia, Babenberg, and Zilliheld possessions given to them in fief by the patriarchs of Aquileia. The dukes governed the province nearly half a century. Finally Carniola was given in fief with the consent of the patriarch to Frederick II of Austria, who obtained the title of duke in 1245. Frederick was succeeded by Ulrich III, Duke of Carinthia, who married Agnes of Andech a relative of the patriarch and endowed the churches and monasteries, established the government mint at the city of Kostanjevica, and finally (1268) willed to Ottokar II, King of Bohemia, all his possessions and the government of Carinthia and Carniola.
Duchy of Carniola
Ottokar was defeated by
Rudolph I of Germany, and at the meeting at Augsburgin 1282, he gave in fief to his sons Albrecht and Rudolf the province of Carniola, but it was leased to Meinhard, count of Gorizia-Tirol. Duke Henry of Carinthia claimed Carniola; and the Dukes of Austria asserted their claim as successors to the Bohemian kingdom. When Henry died 1335 Jan, King of Bohemia, renounced his claims, and Albrecht, Duke of Austria, received Carniola; it was proclaimed a duchy by Rudolf IV, in 1364. Emperor Frederick III united Upper, Lower, and Central Carniola as Metlika and Pivka into one duchy. The union of the dismembered parts was completed by 1607.
The French revolutionary troops occupied Carniola in 1797, and from 1805 to 1806. Under the Treaty of Vienna, Carniola became part of the
Illyrian provincesof France(1809–1814), with Ljubljanaas its capital, and Carniola formed a part of the new territory from 1809 to 1813. The defeat of Napoleon restored Carniola to Austrian Emperor Francis I, with larger boundaries, but at the extinction of the Illyrian Kingdom Carniola was confined to the limits outlined at the Congress of Vienna, 1815. From 1816 to 1849 Carniola was part of the Austrian Kingdom of Illyriawith capital in Ljubljana.
Austrian Empirereorganized the territory in 1849 as a duchy and a Cisleithanian crownlandin Austria-Hungaryknown as the Duchy of Carniola. It was bounded on the north by Carinthia, on the north-east by Styria, on the south-east and south by Croatia, and on the west by Trieste, Goritza, and Istria; with area of 3,857 square miles (9,990 km²) and population of 510,000. The capital, Ljubljana, was the see of a prince-bishop, population, 40,000; it was known to the Romans as Aemona, and was destroyed by Obri in the sixth century. Carniola was divided into Upper Carniola (Slovenian name: Gorenjska), Lower Carniola (Slovenian: Dolenjska), and Inner Carniola (Slovenian: Notranjska). Politically the province was divided into eleven districts consisting of 359 municipalities; the provincial capital was the residence of the imperial governor. The districts were: Kamnik, Kranj, Radovljica, the neighbourhood of Ljubljana, Logatec, Postojna, Litija, Krsko, Novo Mesto, Crnomelj, and Gotschee or Kocevje. There were 31 judicial circuits. The duchy was constituted by rescript of 20 December 1860, and by imperial patent of 26 February 1861, modified by legislation of 21 December 1867, granting power to the home parliament to enact all laws not reserved to the imperial diet, at which it was represented by eleven delegates, of whom two elected by the landowners, three by the cities, towns, commercial and industrial boards, five by the village communes, and one by a fifth curia by secret ballot, every duly registered male twenty-four years of age has the right to vote. The home legislature consisted of a single chamber of thirty-seven members, among whom the prince-bishop sits ex-officio. The emperor convened the legislature, and it is presided over by the governor. The landed interests elected ten members, the cities and towns eight, the commercial and industrial boards two, the village communes sixteen. The business of the chamber was restricted to legislating on agriculture, public and charitable institutions, administration of communes, church and school affairs, the transportation and housing of soldiers in war and during manoeuvres, and other local matters. The land budget of 1901 amounted to 3,573,280 crowns ($714,656).
In 1918, the duchy ceased to exist and its territory became part of the newly formed
State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbsand subsequently part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes(later known as the Kingdom of Yugoslavia). The western part of the duchy, with the towns of Postojna, Ilirska Bistrica, Idrijaand Šturje was annexed to Italy in 1920, but was subsequently also included into Yugoslavia in 1945. Since 1991, the region is part of an independent Slovenia.
In early Christian times the duchy was under the jurisdiction of the metropolitans of Aquileia (who became Patriarchs), Syrmium, and Salona. In consequence of the immigration of the pagan Slovenes, this arrangement was not a lasting one. After they had embraced Christianity in the seventh and eighth centuries Charlemagne conferred the major part of Carniola on the
Patriarchate of Aquileia, and the remainder on the Diocese of Trieste. In 1100 that patriarchate was divided into five archdeaconries, of which Krain was one.
The diocese of Ljubljana or Laibach was established by Emperor Frederick III on
6 December 1461. It was directly subject to the pope. This was confirmed by a Bull of Pope Pius II, 10 September 1462. The new diocese consisted of part of Upper Carniola, two parishes in Lower Carniola, and a portion of Lower Styria and Carinthia; the remaining portion of Carniola was attached to Aquileia, later on to Goriziaand Trieste. At the redistribution of dioceses (1787 to 1791) not all the parishes in Carniola were included in the Diocese of Ljubljana, but this was accomplished in 1833, by taking two deaneries from the Diocese of Trieste, one from Gorizia, and one parish from the Diocese of Lavant, so as to include all the territory within the political boundaries of the crownland.
ources and references
* [http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/CAR_CAU/CARNIOLA_Ger_Krain_.html 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica]
* [http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08696a.htm Catholic Encyclopaedia]
* [http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/kuk_krain.htm Donaumonarchie - in German] (not yet worked in)
* [http://www.terra.es/personal7/jqvaraderey/185915BK.gifMap - Carniola in 1849]
* [http://www.terra.es/personal7/jqvaraderey/193818BK.gifMap - Carniola in 1918]
History of Slovenia
Duchy of Carniola
March of Carniola
Battle of Sisak
Janez Vajkard Valvasor
The Glory of the Duchy of Carniola
Flag of Slovenia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Carniola — (de «Carniola», antigua región de la Italia septentrional) f. Variedad de *calcedonia de color rojo amarillento. * * * carniola. (De Carniola, antigua región del norte del Adriático). f. Geol. Roca dolomítica que, debido a la disolución de la… … Enciclopedia Universal
carniola — (De Carniola, antigua región del norte del Adriático). f. Geol. Roca dolomítica que, debido a la disolución de la caliza por las aguas infiltradas, adquiere una apariencia cavernosa … Diccionario de la lengua española
Carniŏla — (Min.), so v.w. Carneol … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
CARNIOLA — vulgo il Cragno, regio Norici inter Alpes Iulias, et Saum fluv. quae etiam Iapodes Liburnis finitimos complectitur. Populi Carniolenses. Baudrand. inter Carinthiam et Stiriam, in Boream, et Foro Iulium Istriamque ad Austrum, Croatiam autem ad… … Hofmann J. Lexicon universale
Carniola — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar … Wikipedia Español
Carniola — Carniolan, adj. /kahr nee oh leuh, kahrn yoh /, n. a former duchy and crown land of Austria: now in NW Yugoslavia. * * * Region, western Slovenia. It is located northeast of the head of the Adriatic Sea and includes a mountainous area. Its chief… … Universalium
Carniola — Wappen von Krain (bis 1918); Die Landesfarben sind blau rot Sveti Rok im südlichen Hügelland Unterkrains … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carniola — geographical name region S & W Slovenia NE of Istrian Peninsula • Carniolan adjective … New Collegiate Dictionary
CARNIOLA — (500), a crownland of the Austrian empire, SW. of Austria, on the Adriatic, S. of Carinthia; contains quicksilver mines, second only to those of Almaden, in Spain; the surface is mountainous, and the soil is not grain productive, though in… … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
carniola — car|ni|o|la Mot Pla Nom femení … Diccionari Català-Català