- Chester-le-Street (district)
Shown within ceremonial County Durham
Geography Status District 1974 area 16,243 acres (65.73 km2) HQ Chester-le-Street ONS code 20UB History Origin Chester-le-Street urban and rural districts Created 1974 Abolished 2009 Succeeded by County Durham Demography 1973 population 48,730 1992 population 52,900 2001 population 53,692 Politics Governance Chester-le-Street District Council
The district was formed on 1 April 1974 as part of a general reorganisaton of local administration throughout England and Wales carried out under the Local Government Act 1972. Chester-le-Street was one of eight non-metropolitan districts into which County Durham was divided, and was formed form the areas of the abolished urban district of Chester-le-Street along with the bulk of Chester-le-Street Rural District, namely the parishes of Bournmoor, Birtley (reduced in size), Edmondsley, Great Lumley, Lambton, Little Lumley, North Lodge (created from the part of Harraton outside Washington New Town), Ouston, Pelton, Plawsworth, Sacriston, South Biddick (reduced in size), Urpeth and Waldridge. The remainder of the rural district was transferred to the metropolitan boroughs of Gateshead and Sunderland, in the new county of Tyne and Wear.
The district council did not have a coat of arms, but instead used the design of the chairman's badge of office as its logo. the design consisted of a circle divided by a curved cross into four quarters.
- In the centre of the cross was a lion, taken from the arms of the Lambton family of Lambton Castle.
- In the top left quarter was a crosss of Saint Cuthbert. The saint's remains lay in Chester for more than a century, and the town was the see of a bishop. The saint's relics and the bishopric were subsequently transferred to Durham. The River Wear formed the background.
- In the top right quarter was a depiction of the pithead gear of a coal mine, illustrating the area's traditional source of wealth. Behind this was shown the Chester-le-Street Viaduct
- In the bottom left quarter was a falcon, with Lumley Castle in the background.
- In the bottom right quarter was a depiction of the legendary Lambton Worm.
The emblems in the upper left and lower left quarters were subsequently altered to a bishop's mitre and a Roman eagle standard.
The district was abolished as part of the 2009 structural changes to local government in England being replaced by a new unitary authority called Durham County Council.
- Chester-le-Street North and East Chester East ward; Chester North ward
- Chester-le-Street South Chester South ward; Edmondsley and Waldridge ward
- Chester-le-Street West Central Chester Central ward; Chester West ward; Pelton Fell ward
- Lumley Bournmoor ward; Lumley ward
- Ouston and Urpeth Grange Villa and West Pelton ward; Ouston ward; Urpeth ward
- Pelton North Lodge ward; Pelton ward
- Sacriston Kimblesworth and Plawsworth ward; Sacriston ward
Villages in Chester-le-Street District
- ^ a b c Local government in England and Wales: A Guide to the New System. London: HMSO. 1974. p. 46. ISBN 0117508470.
- ^ OPCS Key population and Vital Statistics 1992
- ^ "Chester-le-Street". Census 2001. Office for National Statistics. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pyramids/pages/20ub.asp. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- ^ Description of the Chairman's Badge, information sheet published by Chester-le-Street Council, 1989.
- ^ "History and Profile". Chester-le-Street District Council. 2001. http://www.chester-le-street.gov.uk/hist.html. Retrieved 2002-04-30.
BedfordshireAbolishedNewExisting (1990s) CheshireAbolishedNewExisting (1990s)Warrington • Halton CornwallAbolishedNewExisting (1890s) County DurhamAbolishedNewExisting (1990s) NorthumberlandAbolishedNewExisting (1990s)None ShropshireAbolishedNewExisting (1990s) WiltshireAbolishedNewWiltshireExisting (1990s)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chester-le-Street (District) — Chester le Street District Lage in Durham Status District Region North East England Verw.grafschaft Durham … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chester Upland School District — Address 1720 Melrose Avenue Chester, Pennsylvania, Delaware, 19013 … Wikipedia
Chester County School District — The Chester County School District is a school district that operates public schools in Chester County, Tennessee. It has six schools that provide and education from kindergarten to 12th grade. As of 2005, there were 2438 children of school age… … Wikipedia
Chester-le-Street — Coordinates: 54°51′34″N 1°34′12″W / 54.8594°N 1.5699°W / 54.8594; 1.5699 … Wikipedia
Chester-le-Street Rural District — Coordinates: 54°51′36″N 1°34′26″W / 54.860°N 1.574°W / 54.860; 1.574 Chester le Street was a … Wikipedia
Chester-le-Street — 54° 51′ 34″ N 1° 34′ 12″ W / 54.8594, 1.5699 … Wikipédia en Français
Chester-le-Street — ▪ England, United Kingdom town and district, administrative and historic county of Durham, England, at the southern edge of the Tyne and Wear metropolitan area near the River Wear. It was the site of a Roman station behind the frontier of… … Universalium
Park Street District — Infobox nrhp | name =Park Street District nrhp type = hd caption = Park Street from near the Massachusetts State House location= Boston, Massachusetts lat degrees = 42 lat minutes = 21 lat seconds = 26 lat direction = N long degrees = 71 long… … Wikipedia
Chester High School (Chester, Pennsylvania) — Chester High School Location 200 W 9th Street Chester, PA 19013 Information Type Public Motto C Pride In Pursuit of Excellence Principal Dr. Darla Hammond Color(s) Orange and Black … Wikipedia
Chester County High School — Location 552 East Main Street Henderson, Tennessee 38340 Information Type Public grades 9 12 Motto Dare to Soar Established 1913 … Wikipedia