- Pierre Mulele
Pierre Mulele (August 11, 1929 - October 3 [or October 9, depending on the source], 1968) was a Congolese revolutionary who was briefly minister of education in Patrice Lumumba's cabinet. He was member of the Bapende ethnic group. In 1964, during the Simba rebellions, Mulele, who had previously undergone training in the Eastern bloc as well as Red China, led a Maoist faction in the province of Kwilu. After the rebellion's defeat, he fled into exile in Congo-Brazzaville. In 1968, then-President Joseph-Désiré Mobutu (later Mobutu Sese Seko) lured Mulele out of exile by promising him amnesty. Mulele returned to Congo-Kinshasa, believing he would be granted amnesty. Instead, he was publicly tortured and executed: his eyes were pulled from their sockets, his genitals were ripped off, and his limbs were amputated one by one, all while he was alive. What was left was dumped in the river.
- ^ Congo, David van Reybrouck, 2010
- ^ http://www.irinnews.org/print.asp?ReportID=52245
- ^ Michela Wrong. In The Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz: Living on the Brink of Disaster in Mobutu's Congo. pp. 90.
- ^ Michela Wrong (2000). In the footsteps of Mr Kurtz: living on the brink of disaster in the Congo. Fourth Estate Ltd (Harpercollins Publishers). pp. 86. ISBN 1841154210.
- Death of a Rebel. Time Magazine. 1968-10-18. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,902443,00.html.
- Martens, Ludo. Pierre Mulele ou la Seconde Vie de Patrice Lumumba. EPO. (unknown ISBN)
- Martens, Ludo. The people's uprising in the Congo (Kinshasa) 1964-1968: The way of Patrice Lumumba and Pierre Mulele. Labour Party of Belgium. ASIN B0007B9CMY
- Martens, Ludo. 10 jaar revolutie in Kongo, 1958-1966: De strijd van Patrice Lumumba en Pierre Mulele. EPO. ISBN 90-6445-854-5
- Wrong, Michela. In The Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz: Living on the Brink of Disaster in Mobutu's Congo. Perennial. ISBN 0-06-093443-3
- Young, Crawford, and Thomas Turner. The Rise and Decline of the Zairian State. University of Wisconsin Press. ISBN 0-299-10110-X
- Source of Mulele's date of death
- Information on the 1964 Simba rebellions, including Mulele's rebellion
- Additional information on Mulele (in French) (PDF format)
This biographical article related to an African military person is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.