- Craig David
Craig David, 2009
Background information Birth name Craig Ashley David Born 5 May 1981
Southampton, Hampshire, England
Genres R&B, UK garage, hip hop, dance Occupations Singer-songwriter, MC Years active 1999–present Labels Universal (2009-2010)
Warner / Atlantic (1999-2009)
Craig Ashley David (born 5 May 1981) is an English singer and songwriter. He has released five studio albums: Born to Do It, Slicker Than Your Average, The Story Goes..., Trust Me, Signed Sealed Delivered and a Greatest Hits album. Craig David has sold over 13 million albums worldwide.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 Activism
- 6 References
- 7 External links
David was born in Holyrood, Southampton, Hampshire, the son of Tina (née Loftus), a retail assistant at Superdrug, and George David, a carpenter. David's father is Grenadian and David's mother is English and related to the founders of the Accurist watch-making company; David's maternal grandfather was an Orthodox Jew and his maternal grandmother a convert to Judaism. David's parents separated when he was eight and he was raised by his mother. He attended Bellemoor School and Southampton City College.
David's father played bass in a reggae band called Ebony Rockers. As a teen, David began accompanying his father to local dance clubs, where DJs let him take the microphone.
Wildstar Records first became aware of Craig David when the artist's then manager Paul Widger met the label's co-owner Colin Lester and played some of his music. Lester later told HitQuarters that he was particularly impressed by the first song he heard, "Walking Away", saying "That was an absolute stand out ... It struck me that any seventeen year-old that could write a song like this had huge potential." The Wildstar boss was further won over when, on later visiting the artist's home in Southampton, he found that David's tiny bedroom stacked from floor to ceiling with 12" vinyl records, commenting: "That convinced me he was the real deal and not just some kid acting out the part." At that point Lester offered him a development deal with his label. When Lester later heard the song "7 Days", he said he immediately heard a #1 record and promoted the contract to an album deal the same day.
The song "Re-Rewind", from the Artful Dodger album It's All About the Stragglers, hit Number 2 on the UK charts in 1999; thus, paving the way for a solo career. David's first single, "Fill Me In", released on Colin Lester's and Ian McAndrew's Wildstar Records, made him the youngest solo male artist ever to reach Number 1 in the United Kingdom (he was 18 years old at the time). This was the first of a string of four Top 10 singles from his debut album Born To Do It, which eventually sold more than seven million units worldwide, earning multi-platinum status in more than 20 countries. The song "Key To My Heart", taken from the US version of the album, was also featured on the award-winning Warner Brothers animated film Osmosis Jones.#
2000–2001: Born to Do It
The success of David's debut, which was written almost entirely by David and Mark Hill of Artful Dodger, led to the United States release of "Fill Me In" in May 2001. It reached Number 15 on the Billboard Hot 100. Born to Do It was released in the United States on 17 July 2001, peaking at Number 11 on the Billboard 200 and sold over one million copies. The single "7 Days" hit the Top 10 in the U.S.; although "Walking Away", which had reached Number 3 in the UK and Number 5 in Australia, missed the Top 40 in the U.S. and was the last of his singles to chart there.
2002–2003: Slicker Than Your Average
The follow-up album, Slicker Than Your Average, was released in 2002. The albums' first four singles continued his streak of Top 10 hits in the UK, bringing a total of nine consecutive Top 10 hits until "World Filled with Love" peaked at Number 15 in 2003. None of the six singles released from the album charted in the U.S.. Although "What's Your Flava?" and "Rise & Fall" (duet with Sting) received airplay on the Urban Contemporary and Soft AC formats, they did not make the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles Tracks chart or the Adult Contemporary chart. However, "What's Your Flava?" made the Rhythmic Top 40 (Number 32), Top 40 Mainstream (Number 24) and the Top 40 Tracks (Number 37). According to the RIAA Slicker Than Your Average reached Gold Status in the USA.
David also commented that the album title could be looked at in two different ways: "On the one hand, it's coming across like I'm arrogant. On the other hand, it's saying I have a lot more composure on the album." "
The album was leaked onto the internet prior to its official release but David was not too bothered as he feels it "spreads the word".
2005–2006: The Story Goes...
David later signed on with Warner Music and put together his third album, The Story Goes..., which was released worldwide in August 2005 (excluding the U.S. where it was never released). The first single, "All The Way", returned him to the Top 3. The second single, "Don't Love You No More (I'm Sorry)", tied with "7 Days" as his longest running single in the charts since "Re-Rewind", spending 15 weeks inside the UK Top 75. The album's third single, "Unbelievable", debuted at Number 18 in March 2006.
2007–2008: Trust Me
In 2007, David collaborated with UK rapper Kano on his upcoming album London Town, for the single "This is the Girl". The track was released on 27 August 2007 and debuted at Number 18 on the UK charts.
The first single "Hot Stuff" from his album Trust Me, was released on 5 November 2007 . The single was a top ten hit, whilst the album charted at Number 18 on the UK Albums Chart. "6 of 1 Thing", the second single to be taken from Trust Me, charted at number 39 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming his third-lowest charting single to date.
"Officially Yours" was released on 23 June 2008 and peaked at Number 158 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming his lowest-charting single to date and was the final single from Trust Me.
In July, a new track titled "Are You Up For This" started receiving airplay on various radio stations as part of a promo with Ice Cream Records, which also featured a remix with Witty Boy called "Nutter Butter."
David took part in Soccer Aid 2008 at Wembley Stadium on 7 September 2008. He picked up the "Man of The Match" award on the night and played in the same England side as ex-internationals such as Alan Shearer, Teddy Sheringham and David Seaman, and played against the likes of Romário, Paolo Di Canio, Jaap Stam, and Luís Figo.
On 7 November, David was recognised for his 'contribution' to the music industry by receiving an honorary degree of Doctor of Music, from Southampton Solent University at a graduation ceremony held at Southampton Guildhall.
2008–2009: Greatest Hits
David released his first Greatest Hits album on 24 November 2008. In support of the release, David released two singles to promote the album. "Where's Your Love" featuring Tinchy Stryder and Rita Ora, a homage to his UK garage days, was digitally released on 10 November 2008. The second single, "Insomnia", produced by Jim Beanz from Timbaland productions, a dance track with hard bassline beats, was released the following week on 17 November 2008. Toby Gad and Eimear Crombie provided backup vocals and instrumental stylings.
On 29 December, a new mix of "Insomnia", titled "Up All Night Mix", was made available for digital download.
As part of the Greatest Hits compilation, David re-recorded "Walking Away" with four different artists across Europe, Monrose from Germany, Nek from Italy, Lynnsha from France and Alex Ubago from Spain.
The album debuted at Number 48 on the UK Albums Chart.
From February to April 2009, David toured Russia, the Far East and performed one show in Los Angeles as part of a Greatest Hits tour. He met fans at a meet and greet session at Singapore Changi Airport before his show.
On 26 July 2009, David participated in the Sir Bobby Robson Trophy match at St. James' Park, playing alongside boyhood hero Alan Shearer.
2009–2010: New label and Signed Sealed Delivered
On Friday 18 September 2009 fans got the first taste of the new album with an exclusive demo posted on his official website, a thirty second snippet covering Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours".
The new album Signed Sealed Delivered, finds Craig largely covering and sampling soul hits from the Motown era while giving them his own modern twist. Songs covered include Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"; The Temptations' "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"; and Stevie Wonder's "For Once in My Life".
The first single from Craig's fifth studio album Signed Sealed Delivered was "One More Lie (Standing in the Shadows)" and it was released in the UK on 22 March 2010 where it made No.76 with the album following one week later on 29 March 2010, which entered the UK chart at number 13.
On 17 March 2010 Craig will be releasing a Garage compilation album titled 'Rewind Old Skool Classics' mixed with DJ Spoony featuring some of their favourite UK Garage hits from the last ten years.
Two weeks later on 31 May 2010, the second single to be taken from Signed Sealed Delivered, titled 'All Alone Tonight (Stop, Look, Listen)' will be released. The chorus of the single samples The Stylistics hit Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart) but features completely new verses. In the weeks leading up to the release BBC Radio Two have backed the single by naming it their 'Record of The Week' and adding it to their 'A-List'.
On 27 August 2010 Swiss DJ Remady is releasing an album titled "No Superstar" on which Craig features on the House/Dance track "Do It On My Own".
David is nominated for 'Best Video' at the 2010 Urban Music Awards for the song "One More Lie (Standing In The Shadows)".
According to his Twitter he is now working on new music.
The 2010 Sunday Times Rich List indicated that Craig David is worth £8 million.
Whilst doing a show in Russia, David confirmed he has left Universal Records and hopes to release his new album in America as well as the UK.
In February 2011 David agreed to do a desert trek for Comic Relief as part of Red Nose Day 2011. A host of celebrities including Dermot O'Leary, Olly Murs and Lorraine Kelly treked 100 kilometres across a Kenyan desert to raise money for preventable blindness across Africa.
In May 2011 David made a guest appearance on NRJ12's French reality TV show "Les Anges 2" where he offered advice to contestants trying to make a life in Miami.
- Studio albums
- Born to Do It (2000)
- Slicker Than Your Average (2002)
- The Story Goes... (2005)
- Trust Me (2007)
- Signed Sealed Delivered (2010)
- Compilation albums
- Greatest Hits (2008)
Awards and nominations
- BET Awards
- 2002: Best R&B Male Artist (Nominated)
- 2002: Best New Artist (Nominated)
- BRIT Awards
- 2006: Best British Urban Act (Nominated)
- 2003: Best British Urban Act (Nominated)
- 2003: Best British Male Solo Artist (Nominated)
- 2002: Best British Album: Born to Do It (Nominated)
- 2002: Best British Dance Act (Nominated)
- 2002: Best British Male Solo Artist (Nominated)
- 2001: Best British Album: Born to Do It (Nominated)
- 2001: Best British Dance Act (Nominated)
- 2001: Best British Male Solo Artist (Nominated)
- 2001: Best British Newcomer (Nominated)
- 2001: Best British Single: "7 Days" (Nominated)
- 2001: Best British Video: "7 Days" (Nominated)
- Goldene Kamera
- 2004: Pop International
- Grammy Awards
- 2003: Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: "7 Days" (Nominated)
- 2002: Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: "Fill Me In" (Nominated)
- Ivor Novello Awards
- 2001: Best Contemporary Song: "7 Days"
- 2001: Best Dance Single Award: "Woman Trouble", shared with Robbie Craig and Artful Dodger
- 2001: Songwriter Of The Year, shared with Mark Hill
- MOBO Awards
- 2001: Best UK Act
- 2001: Best R&B Act (Nominated)
- 2001: Best Album: Born to Do It (Nominated)
- 2000: Best R&B Act
- 2000: Best UK Newcomer
- 2000: Best UK Single of the Year: "Fill Me In"
- 2000: Best Video: "7 Days" (Nominated)
- 2000: Best UK Single of the Year: "Woman Trouble" (Nominated), shared with Robbie Craig and Artful Dodger
- MTV Europe Awards
- 2001: Best Male (Nominated)
- 2001: Best New Act (Nominated)
- 2001: Best R&B Act
- 2001: Best UK & Ireland Act
- MTV Video Music Awards
- 2002: Best Male Video: "Walking Away" (Nominated)
- 2001: MTV2 Award: "Fill Me In" (Nominated)
- MTV Video Music Awards Japan
- 2006: Best R&B Video: "All The Way" (Nominated)
- 2003: Best Male Video: "What's Your Flava?"
- Radio Music Awards
- 2001: Most Requested Song: "Fill Me In" (Nominated)
- Urban Music Awards
- 2010: Best Video: "One More Lie (Standing In The Shadows)" (Nominated)
- Other awards and honors
On 24 March 2010 (World TB Day), Craig David was named the newest Goodwill Ambassador against Tuberculosis. He is lending his voice to the Stop Tuberculosis effort. Craig’s first activity as an Ambassador was to travel to South Africa to learn more about tuberculosis, where he met the people who have beaten the disease, people who are still fighting it, kids who face the threat of tuberculosis every day, and scientists who have dedicated their lives to making tuberculosis history. Craig stated that the mission is to help overcome the social stigma of TB in order to beat the disease.
- ^ http://www.mtv.co.uk/music/urban/199879-craig-david-interview
- ^ The A to Z of Craig David
- ^ Cowan, Amber (20 August 2005). "I'm hungry for love . . .". Times Online. http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article556682.ece. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- ^ Stucliffe, Phil (15 April 2001). "Will We Dance to His Tunes?". Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/2001/apr/15/entertainment/ca-51090. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- ^ Lester, Paul (1 February 2008). "A Star Called David". The Jewish Chronicle. http://website.thejc.com/home.aspx?AId=57854&ATypeId=1&search=true2&srchstr=loftus&srchtxt=0&srchhead=1&srchauthor=0&srchsandp=0&scsrch=0. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- ^ Salt, Henry (2 November 2002). "Article: Interview - Craig David: Careless Wispas". The Mirror. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-94068819.html. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- ^ a b c d "Interview With Colin Lester". HitQuarters. 10 December 2001. http://www.hitquarters.com/index.php3?page=intrview/opar/intrview_Colin_Lester_Interview.html. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- ^ Craig David Biography musicianguide.com
- ^ Billboard.com - Artist Chart History - Craig David
- ^ "Michael Jackson's Thriller voted best album since 1981". http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/04/09/michael-jackson-s-album-thriller-voted-best-album-since-1981-115875-21265620/. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- ^ Gonshor, Adam (29 November 2002). "Craig David releases Slicker Than Your Average". andPop.com. http://www.andpop.com/2002/11/29/interview-craig-david-releases-slicker-than-your-average/. Retrieved 9 June 2009.
- ^ 7th annual Urban Music Awards 2009 Urban Music Awards
- ^ "R&B Sensation Craig David meets travelers at Singapore Changi Airport". http://www.etravelblackboardasia.com/article.asp?id=60799&nav=46. Retrieved 15 April 2009.
- ^ MTV's Greatest album ever - The Results MTV UK
- ^ Twitter update
- ^ Craig David interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' March 2010
- ^ Charts news and reviews DVD Fever
- ^ Various - Rewind Old Skool Classics (3CD) Play.com
- ^ Do It On My Own (Feat. Craig David) Remady 'No Superstar'
- ^  Interview with Dr Jays.com
- ^  Comic Relief Trek
- ^ 
- ^ "Craig David: "I've been booked for Michael Jackson tribute concert"". NME. http://www.nme.com/news/craig-david/58491. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- ^ "Craig David Becomes a Doctor". NME. http://www.nme.com/news/craig-david/40675. Retrieved 29 December 2008.
- ^ "R'n'B singer/songwriter Craig David receives honorary Doctor of Music". SOUTHAMPTON SOLENT UNIVERSITY'S PRESS OFFICE. http://www.solent.ac.uk/news/newsarchive/2008/r57y08.aspx. Retrieved 29 December 2008.
- ^ "R&B star Craig David joins the fight against tuberculosis". World Health Organization. 24 March 2010. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2010/tb_craig_david_20100324/en/index.html. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
Compilation albums Singles"Fill Me In" • "7 Days" • "Walking Away" • "Rendezvous" • "What's Your Flava?" • "Hidden Agenda" • "Rise & Fall" • "Spanish" • "World Filled with Love" • "You Don't Miss Your Water ('Til the Well Runs Dry)" • "All the Way" • "Don't Love You No More (I'm Sorry)" • "Unbelievable" • "Hot Stuff (Let's Dance)" • "6 of 1 Thing" • "Officially Yours" • "Where's Your Love" • "Insomnia" • "One More Lie (Standing in the Shadows)" • "All Alone Tonight (Stop, Look, Listen)" Featured singles"Re-Rewind" • "Woman Trouble" • "This Is the Girl" Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Craig David — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Craig Ashley David Información personal Nombre real Craig Ashley David … Wikipedia Español
Craig David — (2009) Craig Ashley David (* 5. Mai 1981 in Southampton) ist ein britischer Sänger und Songwriter. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Craig David — Pour les articles homonymes, voir David. Craig David … Wikipédia en Français
Craig David discography — Craig David discography Releases ↙Studio albums 5 ↙ … Wikipedia
Craig David Wallace — is a Canadian Film and Television director, writer and producer. He is the Co Creator, Executive Producer, and Showrunner of the live action half hour supernatural comedy high school series, Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, broadcast in Canada on… … Wikipedia
Craig David Greatest Hits — Infobox Album | Name = Greatest Hits Type = Compilation Artist = Craig David Released = Flagicon|Europe November 24, 2008 Recorded = 2008 Genre =R B Length = Label = Warner Music, Sire Records Producer = Various Chart = TBA Reviews = Last album … Wikipedia
Signed Sealed Delivered (Craig David album) — Signed Sealed Delivered Studio album by Craig David Released 29 March 2010 … Wikipedia
Discographie de Craig David — Sorties ↙Albums studio 5 ↙Compilations 1 … Wikipédia en Français
Greatest Hits (Craig David album) — Greatest Hits Greatest hits album by Craig David Released November 24, 2008 (Europe … Wikipedia
Walking Away (Craig David song) — Infobox Single Name = Walking Away Artist = Craig David from Album = Born to Do It Released = 2000 Format = CD single, vinyl Recorded = 2000 Genre = R B Length = 3:24 Label = Wildstar Records / Edel Germany / Atlantic Records Writer = Craig David … Wikipedia