- WAVE Radio
Infobox Radio Station
name = WAVE Radio
December 14, 1998
frequency = 105.9/99.9 (MHz)
Belize City, Belize
area = National
owner = United Democratic Party
erp = 105,900
branding = "WAVE 105.9 FM"
slogan = The Station that plays the Hits!
website = [http://www.belizeweb.com/wave-radio.htm/ WAVE on Belizeweb]
[http://waveradiobelize.org/ WAVE website]
callsign_meaning = none
sister_stations = none
: "For other radio stations which may use "Wave" as a brand name, see
WAVE Radio, a
Belize Cityradio station operating since 1998, is the radio arm of the United Democratic Party (UDP). It is located at the corner of Ebony Street and the Belchina Bridge entrance, at the UDP Headquarters.
WAVE Radio was formed on
December 14[http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=1456 WAVE on the air] , 1998as an indirect result of the dismantling of the former Broadcasting Corporation of Belize. WAVE was located on Fabers' Road on Southside Belize Cityand headed by veteran radio journalist Brian Mossiah. [http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=1620 New station broadcasts next week] Other veterans joining the staff included Ed Yorke (now deceased), Adrian Harris and Kenny Morgan, with popular youth announcer Olden Young joining the staff two months later. Ironically, the station's opening was reported for News 5 by Hyacinth Latchman, who currently works at WAVE as an announcer. Mossiah denied reports that the UDP had financed the establishment of WAVE, but those reports gained some steam following an incident on May 13, 1999.
1999 Michael Rudon false accusations
WAVE's Young reported on May 13 that then editor of the
Belize Times, Michael Rudon, was under lockdown for allegedly molesting a primary school student. [http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=2294 False accusations raised at Belize Times editor] Channel 5 and other media houses had been fed the same story, proven false. After checking with the police to confirm the story, WAVE claimed, they had gone ahead, believing in the accuracy of the report. Rudon called over to complain and WAVE's contact retracted the story, saying there had been a mistake in the police files. WAVE retracted onair and Channel 5 laid the blame at the door of then Senator, attorney, and editor of the Guardian, Audrey Matura, who had apparently been wronged by the Times editorial staff, though Matura denied it.
Takeover by the UDP and transition
Entering the 2000's WAVE Radio faced several changes in staff. Mossiah, Harris, and Yorke had all left for LOVE FM and FM 2000 respectively, with Mossiah being named Government Press Officer in 2002. It is presumed that by this time the Opposition UDP moved WAVE to its headquarters on the Belchina Bridge. WAVE was now in transition as new stars emerged, led by Juliet Thimbriel, who became WAVE's general manager. The station lost the popular Olden Young to suicide in 2003. He was replaced by new stars as Hyacinth Latchman, Dale Anthony McDougal, Alfrain "Mr. Hype" Supaul and David "International DJ" Busch.
* 105.9 FM (Belize City)
* 99.9 FM (elsewhere)
Other station taglines
*Ride the WAVE...Don't Bother with the Ripples!
*Entertainment with an Attitude, Reaching High Altitudes!
*The Baby of the Bunch...with the knockout punch! (refers to relative newness among radio counterparts)
* New Age Radio!
Mondays to Fridays
* 7:00-9:00 AM: Fus' Ting Da Mawnin (talk show)
* 9:00 AM -12:30 PM: Millennium Woman (music and self-help tips)
* 1:00 pm-4:00 pm: Light Chop to Choppy (contemporary music; host Kenny Morgan; second half with DJ Bush called the "International Power Hour")
* 4:00 pm-6:00 PM: Drivetime Splash (rap/hip-hop/dancehall; host Alfrain Supaul)
* Newscasts: 6:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 6:00 PM
* Primetime: Volunteer DJ's host various programs from 7:00 PM to 12:00 AM except for Mondays, when Red Review airs, and Wednesdays, when "Lik Road" with MP Michael Finnegan airs (both simulcast with Channel 7)
* Volunteer DJ's host all weekend
* Sunday morning: gospel music followed by "Moment of Truth" with Delroy Cuthkelvin
Personalities of WAVE Radio
* Juliet Thimbriel: General Manager, host of "Fus' Ting Da Mawnin"
* Joe Bradley: co-host, "Fus' Ting Da Mawnin"
* Hyacinth Latchman: City Councillor, host "Millennium Woman"
* Kenny Morgan: DJ and activist, host "Light Chop to Choppy"
* Alfrain Supaul: DJ, host "Drivetime Splash"; guest host on "Millennium Woman" (Fridays)
* Dale McDougal: newsreader and technical director
* Paula Ack: news editor and Spanish-language newsreader
* Michael Finnegan: Mesopotamia Area Representative, host "Mek Wave and Lik Road"
* Delroy Cuthkelvin: UDP strategist, host "Moment of Truth" (Sundays)
* DJ Bush: host of weekday afternoon program
* C-Dog: DJ for "Millennium Woman"
* Matrix Sounds: DJ's on weekends
* [http://waveradiobelize.org/ WAVE website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wave radio — can refer to:*Wave radio (internet), the internet radio station *Bose wave systems * WAVE Radio, a Belize City radio station … Wikipedia
Wave radio (internet) — Infobox Radio station | name = Wave Radio city = New York area = Worldwide branding = New York s Wave Radio slogan = The Internet s #1 Hit Music Station airdate = January 2, 2003 frequency = Internet format = 80s, 90s, Top 40 power = erp = class … Wikipedia
Radio News — was an American monthly technology magazine published from 1919 to 1971. The magazine was started by Hugo Gernsback as a magazine for amateur radio enthusiasts, but it evolved to cover all the technical aspects to radio and electronics. In 1929 a … Wikipedia
Radio jamming — is the (usually deliberate) transmission of radio signals that disrupt communications by decreasing the signal to noise ratio. Unintentional jamming occurs when an operator transmits on a busy frequency without checking that it is in use first,… … Wikipedia
Radio Philippines Network — (RPN) Type Broadcast … Wikipedia
Radio Praga — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Receptor de radio Radio Praga (Radio Praha) es una cadena checa de radiodifusión de capital público. Emite programación para el extranjero en seis idiomas: checo, inglés, alemán, español, francés y … Wikipedia Español
Radio Trst A — (called also Rai Trst A) is a Medium wave radio station in Slovene language, based in Trieste (Friuli Venezia Giulia), and broadcasted by the Italian state broadcaster RAI … Wikipedia
Radio broadcasting — Long wave radio broadcasting station, Motala, Sweden … Wikipedia
radio wave — noun an electromagnetic wave with a wavelength between 0.5 cm to 30,000 m (Freq. 2) • Syn: ↑radio emission, ↑radio radiation • Hypernyms: ↑electromagnetic radiation, ↑electromagnetic wave, ↑nonparticulate radiation … Useful english dictionary
radio emission — noun an electromagnetic wave with a wavelength between 0.5 cm to 30,000 m (Freq. 16) • Syn: ↑radio wave, ↑radio radiation • Hypernyms: ↑electromagnetic radiation, ↑electromagnetic wave, ↑nonparticulate radiation … Useful english dictionary