- Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham
Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham — Metropolitan borough — Rotherham
Coat of Arms of the Borough Council
Motto: Operor non exsisto ignavus (no slacking)Rotherham shown within England Sovereign state United Kingdom Constituent country England Region Yorkshire and the Humber Ceremonial county South Yorkshire Founded 1974 Admin. HQ Rotherham Government - Type Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council - Leadership: Leader & Cabinet - Executive: Labour - MPs: Kevin Barron,
Area - Total 110.6 sq mi (286.5 km2) Area rank 142nd Population (2010 est.) - Total 254,600 - Rank Ranked 50th - Density 2,301.6/sq mi (888.7/km2) Time zone Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0) - Summer (DST) British Summer Time (UTC+1) Postcode ISO 3166-2 ONS code 00CF OS grid reference NUTS 3 Ethnicity 95.5% White
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire, England. It is named for its largest town, Rotherham, but also spans the outlying towns of Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Wath-upon-Dearne, as well as a suburban and rural element composed of hills, escarpments and broad valleys.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the County Borough of Rotherham, with Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Wath-upon-Dearne urban districts along with Rotherham Rural District and Kiveton Park Rural District.
Although support decreased in 2008, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council it is one of the safest Labour councils in the United Kingdom and now their only safe council in Yorkshire. Neighbouring districts Barnsley and Wakefield are also held by Labour but only by a majority of one in each case.
Settlements in the borough of Rotherham include:
- Anston, Aston, Aughton
- Bramley, Brampton, Brinsworth, Brecks
- Canklow, Catcliffe, Clifton
- Gildingwells, Greasbrough
- Harthill, Hellaby, Herringthorpe
- Kimberworth, Kimberworth Park, Kiveton Park
- Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Letwell
- Maltby, Manvers, Masbrough, Morthen
- Ravenfield, Rawmarsh, Ryecroft
- Swallownest, Swinton
- Templeborough, Thorpe Hesley, Thorpe Salvin, Thrybergh, Thurcroft, Todwick, Treeton
- Wales, Wath-upon-Dearne, Wentworth, West Melton, Whiston, Wickersley, Woodsetts
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham was founded in 1973, and Labour have been in control of the council since the first election.
Year Labour Conservative Others BNP 2010 election 50 10 2 1 2008 election 50 10 1 2 2007 election 54 7 2 0
- ^ "Resident Population Estimates by Ethnic Group (Percentages); Mid-2005 Population Estimates". National Statistics Online. Office for National Statistics. http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=3&b=276793&c=Rotherham&d=13&e=13&g=364445&i=1001x1003x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1206654993375&enc=1&dsFamilyId=1812. Retrieved 2008-03-28.
- ^ a b "Election Results 2008, Rotherham council". BBC News. 19 April 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/elections/local_council/08/html/cf.stm. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/elections/local_council/08/html/cc.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/elections/local_council/08/html/db.stm
- ^ Election 2010 | Rotherham Council, BBC News
- ^ Election 2007 | Rotherham Council, BBC News
Ceremonial county of South Yorkshire Yorkshire Portal Metropolitan districts Major settlementsAskern • Barnsley • Bawtry • Brierley • Conisbrough • Dinnington • Doncaster • Edlington • Hatfield • Hoyland • Maltby • Mexborough • Penistone • Rotherham • Sheffield • South Kirkby and Moorthorpe • Stainforth • Stocksbridge • Swinton • Thorne • Tickhill • Wath upon Dearne • Wombwell
See also: List of civil parishes in South Yorkshire
Rivers Topics Districts of Yorkshire and the Humber Lincolnshire North Yorkshire South Yorkshire West Yorkshire Metropolitan counties and metropolitan districts Greater Manchester Merseyside South Yorkshire Tyne and Wear West Midlands West Yorkshire
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster — Metropolitan borough Doncaster Sovereign state United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley — Borough Arms of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Bury — Metropolitan borough Bury Town Hall, the seat of Bury Council … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale — Metropolitan borough Municipal Offices, Rochdale … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Dudley — Metropolitan borough Dudley Council House in Dudley, West Midlands … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead — Metropolitan borough Gateshead Council Building, the seat of the Borough Council … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Solihull — Metropolitan Borough … Wikipedia
Metropolitan borough — For other uses, see Metropolitan borough (disambiguation). Metropolitan district Metropolitan counties shown within England Also known as Metropolitan borough Category Districts Location … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Wigan — For the main settlement, see Wigan. Metropolitan Borough of Wigan Metropolitan borough Wigan Civic Centre … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Borough of Oldham — For the settlement, see Oldham. Metropolitan Borough of Oldham Metropolitan borough Oldham Civic Centre … Wikipedia