- Tao Group
company_name = Tao Group
foundation = 1992
location = , England
company_slogan = Imagine Tomorrow.
Tao Group was a software company headquartered in
Reading, Berkshire,UK. It developed intent, a software platform. intent enabled content portability by delivering services in a platform independent format called Virtual Processor(VP). Its business was sold in May 2007.
* Tao Group was set up by
Francis Charigand Chris Hinsleyin 1992.
* In 1992, Tao Group released the first generation of its
virtual machinecalled Virtual Processor(VP).
* In 1998, Tao Group released the second generation of its virtual machine called VP2.
* In 2002, Tao acquired [http://www.intermorphic.com/company/history.html SSEYO] , a British audio company specializing in generative music technologies, and creators of the Koan generative music engine. In 2007 the founders of SSEYO established
intermorphic[http://www.intermorphic.com] , a generative tools company.
* [http://www.intermorphic.com/company/history.html SSEYO] won a
BAFTAInteractive Entertainment Award in 2001.
* Tao won a
BAFTAInteractive Entertainment Award in 2005 for the miniMIXAproduct.
* Tao licensed more than 20 million copies of intent to clients such as Sony, NEC and Panasonic.
Open Contents Platform Association, headquartered in Tokyo and chaired by Yasuo Nishiguchi, the President of Kyoceraand then by Francis Charig, the Chief Executive of Tao spent three years from 2001 looking at networked device standardization using intent. More than 50 companies were members, mostly Japanese.
* Red Herring included Tao in its top 100 European privately held companies in both 2005 and 2005.
* In 2006
Francis Charig, Chief Executive of Tao was named a World Economic ForumTechnology Pioneer.
* Tao ranked 26th in the
Fast Track2006 Tech Track 100in association with the Sunday Times.
* Investors in Tao Group included
Motorola, Freescale Semiconductor, Sony, NEC, Sharp, Kyocera, and Mitsubishi.
* In June 2007
Cross Atlantic Licensing, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cross Atlantic Capital PartnersLLC acquired the IP assets. Licensing of the technology is now managed by an SPV (Special Purpose Vehicle), Replevix LLC.
Replevix LLCsued Taiwanese handset maker HTCin November 2007 for patent violations.
* [http://antixlabs.com/ Antix Labs Ltd] is a service company founded in mid-2007 by
Francis Charigand headquartered in Reading, England employing more than forty of the team previously working at Tao.
* In 2008, [http://www.intermorphic.com/ Intermorphic Ltd] acquired the intent Sound System (iSS) technology (including Koan and miniMIXA). The technology is rebranded as the Intermorphic Sound System, part of Intermorphic's "tikl tech" platform. Koan has been superseded by Intermorphic's [http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/noatikl/index.html Noatikl] music engine, and miniMIXA has been rebranded and further developed into [http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixtikl/index.html Mixtikl] .
The company's main products were:
* intent: A hardware independent software platform
* miniMIXA: A BAFTA award winning multimedia
Tao Group's intent was a software platform which was licensed to third party hardware or service providers. It enabled
gamesand multimediaentertainment to be delivered on mobilesand other digital devices. It simplified content managementby delivering code in an efficient hardware independent format. Hardware independence is important to suppliers of mobiles, PDAs, set top boxes and other devices that can run multimedia or need software updating as it both reduces the support cost of older equipment and also ensures older content can be used on new equipment.
The intent platform could be run either as the native
operating systemor as an application under another OS. Service code was delivered in a format called Virtual Processor(VP) which was translated on the device to the particular native machine code.
The intent portfolio included support for:
C++games with openGL ES3D rendering
* A Java virtual machine which translated to native code.
internet browseroptimised for small screens
* A BAFTA award winning multimedia
Unlike .NET CIL and
Java bytecodeintent's intermediate language VP did not inherently provide security facilities. Such facilities were available under its JVM but 'native' intent code could only be run from a trusted supplier. The VP code was however more compact and had better optimisation hinting so the translator could be both small and efficient.
The intent JVM ran Java bytecode by first translating it to VP and then translating the result to native code. This resulted in a Java implementation which was very fast, albeit challenging to port.
Systems without a
memory manager, such as uCLinux, were supported, including support for shared libraries. The stack could be extended automatically by linking to extra space. Object-oriented methods and subclassing were an integral part of the system design and the audio visual interface used this methodology extensively.
* Announcement of formation of Open Contents Standard Association: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ECZ/is_2001_July_16/ai_76556099
* Interview with Tech Pioneer, Tao Group: http://www.weforum.org/en/fp/TechPioneerTaoGroup/index.htm
* Red Herring Europe 100 Award in 2006: http://www.redherring.com/Home/16775
* Kyocera invests in Tao Group: http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2003/01/29/28063/reading-based+tao+wins+japanese+mobile+backing.htm
* Tao acquires SSEYO: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ECZ/is_2002_March_28/ai_84240630
* Tao wins BAFTA for its [http://www.intermorphic.com/company/history.html SSEYO]
* Tao ranked 26th in the Tech Track 100 and confirmation Charig & Hinsley as the founders: http://www.fasttrack.co.uk/fasttrack2002/migration/dbDetails.asp?siteID=3&compID=1885&yr=2006
Replevixsues High Tech Computer Corporation[http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-paedce/case_no-2:2007cv04625/case_id-241663/]
* [http://www.taosupport.com Tao Support Ltd website]
*waybackdate|site=http://tao-group.com|date=20070528180024|title=Tao Group website (on the Internet Archive)
* [http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TaoIntentOs Tao Intent Os] An earlier version of intent described on WikiWikiWIki
* [http://www.osnews.com/story.php/157/Tao-Group-on-ElateOS-AmigaDE-and-More/ Interview with the developers of intent 2001]
* [http://www.intermorphic.com Intermorphic Limited]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Tao (disambiguation) — Tao is a metaphysical concept found in Taoism, Confucianism, and more generally in ancient Chinese philosophyTao may also refer to: *Tao Te Ching, an ancient Chinese philosophical text *Taoism, a philosophical school and folk religion based on… … Wikipedia
Tao platform — TAO is the french acronym for Testing Assisté par Ordinateur (Computer Based Testing). The [http://www.tao.lu TAO] framework provides an open architecture for computer assisted test development and delivery, with the potential to respond to the… … Wikipedia
Tao Zhu — (Chinese: 陶铸; Pinyin: Táo Zhù; 1908 1969) is a Former Member of the 8th Communist Party of China Politburo Standing Committee.BiographyHe was Secretary of the Guangdong Provincial Committee and Commander of the Guangzhou Military Region.He later… … Wikipedia
TAO — – Third Age Online ist ein europäisches Forschungsprojekt mit Partnern aus der Schweiz, Deutschland und den Niederlanden unter der Leitung und Koordination des Departement Wirtschaft und Verwaltung der Berner Fachhochschule. Das Projekt startete… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Tao Heung Foods of Mankind Museum — Tao Heung Foods of Mankind Museum, formerly Foods of Mankind Museum, is the first foods of mankind museum in Hong Kong. It is one of the few museums not run and funded by the government. It was housed in a two floored building at 1 Lok Tin Street … Wikipedia
Tao (comics) — Superherobox| caption = comic color = background:#8080ff character name = Tao real name = Tactical Augmented Organism (TAO) publisher = Wildstorm debut = WildC.A.T.S. #21 (July, 1995) creators = Alan Moore and Travis Charest alliance color =… … Wikipedia
Tao — For other uses, see Tao (disambiguation). dao redirects here. For other uses, see DAO (disambiguation). Taoism This article is part of a series on Taoism … Wikipedia
TAO (software) — The ACE ORB (TAO The Ace Orb) is a freely available, open source, and standards compliant real time C++ implementation of CORBA based upon the Adaptive Communication Environment (ACE). It attempts to provide efficient, predictable, and scalable… … Wikipedia
TAO Earth House — La Earth House était une maison expérimentale en polyuréthane, conçue et construite par le Tao Design Group entre 1971 et 1973. Elle se situait sur un terrain de 6 acres (25 000 m2) dans le comté de Hill à l’ouest d’Austin au Texas.… … Wikipédia en Français
TAO (collective) — The TAO Collective or The Anarchy Organization is a Canada based radical and non profit computer service provider, offering free email and web hosting in exchange for mutual aid. As the first of its kind in North America, it has helped to spawn… … Wikipedia