- Nick Oliveri
Nick Oliveri in January 2009
Background information Also known as Rex Everything
Born October 21, 1971
Los Angeles, California, United States
Genres Heavy metal, hard rock, punk rock, stoner rock, alternative rock Occupations Musician, songwriter, singer, bassist Instruments Bass, guitar, vocals, percussion Associated acts Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, The Desert Sessions, Mondo Generator, Dwarves, River City Rapists, The Uncontrollable, Moistboyz, The Knives, Eagles of Death Metal
Nick Steven Oliveri (born October 21, 1971 in Los Angeles) is an American musician from Palm Desert, California. He plays bass guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and is a vocalist. His main music project is Kyuss Lives!, the re-united version of influential "stoner rock" band Kyuss, along with other founding members John Garcia and Brant Bjork, joined by new guitarist Bruno Fevery. He regularly tours as a solo act or fronting Mondo Generator, a punk/metal hybrid that he formed in 1997. He is most widely known for his work with Queens of the Stone Age.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personal
- 3 Musical equipment
- 4 Partial discography
- 5 References and notes
- 6 External links
Oliveri began his career in 1987 with John Garcia, Brant Bjork, Josh Homme and Chris Cockrell under the band name Katzenjammer. In early 1988 after Oliveri's departure to play in other bands, the band would change its name to Sons of Kyuss, later shortening the name to Kyuss. He later rejoined the band, playing on the albums Wretch and Blues for the Red Sun. Oliveri would leave Kyuss again in early 1992, shortly after his father died in a car accident. Following his departure from Kyuss he joined The Dwarves as an on again off again bassist under the moniker Rex Everything. However he is perhaps best known as a member of Queens of the Stone Age from 1998 to 2004. Oliveri is also a solo artist and frequent contributor to his friends' albums and tours, including Winnebago Deal, Mark Lanegan Band, Masters of Reality, Turbonegro, Moistboyz aka Dickie Moist and the O.T.C. and The Knives. In the past he has been involved with The Desert Sessions Vol. 4 and Vol. 6. Oliveri is known for playing bare chested and sometimes naked at gigs. Most memorably, he was arrested in Brazil, after performing nude on stage at the Rock in Rio festival in Rio de Janeiro. He is also one half of the acoustic duo The Uncontrollable, with The Dwarves frontman Blag Dahlia.
Queens of the Stone Age years
Oliveri's singing can be heard on songs such as "Auto Pilot" and "Quick and to the Pointless" from the album Rated R and "Another Love Song", "Gonna Leave You" and "You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar But I Feel Like A Millionaire", from the album Songs for the Deaf.
Post–Queens of the Stone Age
Since his firing from Queens of the Stone Age, Nick has both toured and appeared on-stage with Brant Bjork, Motörhead, Winnebago Deal, Masters of Reality, The Dwarves, Mark Lanegan and Turbonegro. He also recorded an acoustic LP entitled Demolition Day that was eventually released as a second disk in a limited edition of Mondo Generator's latest album, Dead Planet: SonicSlowMotionTrails.
As of April 2007, Mondo Generator was scheduled to appear on the 12th annual Ozzfest tour (otherwise known as the "FreeFest" tour), but officially dropped off the tour on July 26, 2007 after appearing at 4 Ozzfest dates. Oliveri stated, "We can't keep on touring for free! My band's not free, it's costing me."
On August 7, 2008, Nick Oliveri appeared on stage with Turbonegro to sing "Back to Dungaree High" and "Nervous Breakdown," the latter being a Black Flag cover. The band's performance at the Øyafestivalen was a 10th Anniversary celebration of their critically hailed album, Apocalypse Dudes.
Nick Oliveri appears on Slash, Slash's first solo album. He sings the song "Chains and Shackles" (only on the Australian version of the album).
In 2010, Oliveri announced that he is now in a new as yet unnamed band with Euroboy and Happy-Tom of Turbonegro, as well as Tommy Akerholdt from Serena-Maneesh.
There was also speculation that he would return in Queens of the Stone Age during their summer tour due to Josh Homme's dedication of "New Fang" to Nick for "new beginnings". However, this proved to be false. In March 2011, Oliveri stated: "The last time I saw them play was a benefit for Brian O'Connor in L.A., from the Eagles of Death Metal. I was down there and I mentioned to them, "Why don't I come up and do "Millionaire" or something, and sing it and not play bass?" [Josh] was like, "Nah, I don't think that's a good idea yet." It's kind of in his court for stuff like that. I don't think he wants to give anybody the wrong idea. I don't necessarily know if that would happen. And he's got a good band—he's taking the band in the direction he wants it to go."
In November 2010, Oliveri officially rejoined Kyuss (now known as Kyuss Lives!), which initially toured European, Australian and New Zealand markets in early 2011, and which have subsequently been touring North America. A new studio album is also being planned following the tour. Due to Oliveri's ongoing legal problems resulting from a July 2011 incident, he is unable to leave the country and Scott Reeder has been filling in for him on international dates until all is resolved.
On July 12, 2011, Oliveri was arrested for suspicion of felony domestic violence after a standoff with police SWAT team. He allowed his girlfriend to exit the house two hours into the stand off and two hours before the SWAT team made entry into the home and arrested Oliveri. Drugs and a loaded rifle were found in the home. According to TMZ, Oliveri has been charged with four felonies related to the incident; if convicted, he could face up to 15 years in prison.
- Fender Precision Bass: Various models used throughout his career with Queens Of The Stone Age and Mondo Generator with most fitted with Badass bridges and either Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders or Dimarzio Model P pickups.
- Fender Jazz Bass: White model used during Queens Of The Stone Age first tour and white with tortoise shell pickguard during recording of Songs For The Deaf.
- Ampeg Dan Armstrong: Used during Rated R tour for songs in E Standard and occasionally used with Mondo Generator.
- Rickenbacker 4003: Used with Kyuss
- Fernandes Atlas 4
- Fender Mike Dirnt Precision Bass
- Dean Metalman V
- Ampeg SVT Head and 8x10 Cabinets
- Ampeg V4-Bh
- Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
- Wretch (1991, Dali)
- Blues for the Red Sun (1992, Dali)
- "Thong Song" (1992, Dali)
- "Green Machine" (1993, Dali)
- Muchas Gracias: The Best of Kyuss (2000, Elektra)
- TBA (2012, label unknown) (as Kyuss Lives!)
Queens of the Stone Age
- Heavy Metal 2000 OST (2000, Restless) – "Infinity"
- Rated R (2000, Interscope) (re-released 2010, Interscope)
- "The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret / Ode to Clarissa" – 7" (2000, Interscope)
- "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" – EP (2000, Interscope)
- "Monsters in the Parasol" – CD (2000, Interscope)
- Alpha Motherfuckers: A Tribute to Turbonegro (2001, Bitzcore) – "Back to Dungaree High"
- Songs for the Deaf (2002, Interscope)
- "No One Knows / Tension Head" (live) – 7" (2002, Interscope)
- "Go with the Flow" – EP (2002, Interscope)
- "First It Giveth / Wake up Screaming" – 7" (2003, Interscope)
- Stone Age Complications (2004, Interscope)
- Over the Years and Through the Woods (2005, Interscope) (DVD)
- Split 7" Single w/ Jack Saints (1997, Milk*Sop Records)
- Cocaine Rodeo (2000, Southern Lord) (2009, Impedance)
- A Drug Problem That Never Existed (2003, Ipecac)
- Use Once and Destroy Me (2004, Tornado) (DVD)
- III the EP (2004, Tornado/Cargo Records)
- "I Never Sleep" – 7" (2006, Mother Tongue)
- Dead Planet: SonicSlowMotionTrails (2006, Mother Tongue) / Dead Planet (2007, Sub Noize)
- Australian Tour EP (2008, Impedance)
- Dog Food EP (2010, Impedance)
- Hell comes to your heart (TBD)
- "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1994, Man's Ruin)
- The Dwarves Are Young and Good Looking (1997, Recess Records, later Epitaph)
- "Everybodies Girl" (1997, Recess Records)
- "We Must Have Blood" (1997, Man's Ruin)
- "I Will Deny" (1998, Reptilian Records)
- The Dwarves Come Clean (2000, Epitaph)
- How To Win Friends And Influence People (2001, Reptilian Records)
- The Dwarves Must Die (2004, Sympathy For The Record Industry)
- "Salt Lake City" (2004, Sympathy For The Record Industry)
- The Dwarves Are Born Again (2011, MVD Audio)
- Demolition Day (2004, Tornado)
- Death Acoustic (2009, Impedance)
- Drink, Fight, Fuck Vol. 4: 22 GG Allin Songs - Performing "Outlaw Scumfuc" (2010, Zodiac Killer Records)
- Blag Dahlia Band – Lord Of The Road (1994, Sympathy For The Record Industry)
- Blag Dahlia – Haunt Me (1995, Man's Ruin)
- Blag Dahlia – Venus With Arms (1996, Atavistic)
- Desert Sessions – Vols. 3&4 (1998, Man's Ruin)
- Desert Sessions – Vols. 5&6 (1999, Man's Ruin)
- River City Rapists – Feelin' Groovy (1999, Man's Ruin)
- Masters of Reality – Deep in the Hole (2001, Brownhouse)
- The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys OST (2002, Milan Records)
- Rollins Band – Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs to Benefit the West Memphis Three (2002, Sanctuary Records)
- Masters of Reality – Flak 'n' Flight (2003, Brownhouse)
- Mark Lanegan Band – Here Comes That Weird Chill (2003, Beggars Banquet)
- Mark Lanegan Band – Bubblegum (2004, Beggar's Banquet)
- Eagles of Death Metal – Peace, Love, Death Metal (2004, AntAcidAudio)
- Auf Der Maur – Auf Der Maur (2004 Capitol)
- Turbonegro – Party Animals (2005, Bitzcore)
- Winnebago Deal – Flight Of The Raven (2006, Fierce Panda)
- Winnebago Deal – "Spider Bite" (2006, Fierce Panda)
- Don't Open Your Eyes – "Don't Open Your Eyes" (2009, Flying With The Unicorn)
- Slash – Slash (2010, Sony Music)
- HeWhoCannotBeNamed – Sunday School Massacre (2010, No Balls Records)
References and notes
- ^ The Telegraph-Herald - Google News Archive Search
- ^ "The Skinny – Nick Oliveri – Mondo Uncontrollable". Theskinny.co.uk. 2006-10-13. http://www.theskinny.co.uk/article/37152-nick-oliveri-mondo-uncontrollable. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ ZW. "Dickie Moist OTC MySpace". Myspace.com. http://www.myspace.com/moistboyzofficial. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ Niesel, Jeff. "Cleveland Scene". Clevescene.com. http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/unplugged-and-uncontrollable/Content?oid=1831241. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ Prato, Greg (2011-03-23). "Nick Oliveri Interview". UGO.com. http://www.ugo.com/music/kyuss-lives-q-a. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ "Blabbermouth.Net - Kyuss Lives Without Josh Homme". Roadrunnerrecords.com. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148693. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ 9:42 AM. "Kyuss Lives! To Record New Album - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=63085. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ "Former Queens of the Stone Age Member Nick Oliveri Arrested After S.W.A.T. Team Face-Off". Pitchfork. http://pitchfork.com/news/43177-former-queens-of-the-stone-age-member-nick-oliveri-arrested-after-swat-team-face-off/. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ July 13, 2011 (2011-07-13). "Queens of the Stone Age's Nick Oliveri arrested after standoff - latimes.com". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/07/queen-of-the-stone-age-nick-oliveri-arrested.html. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- ^ Partridge, Kenneth (2011-08-13). "Former Queens of the Stone Age Bassist Faces 15 Years in Jail". Noise Creep. AOL Inc.. http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/08/13/former-queens-of-the-stone-age-bassist-faces-15-years-in-jail/. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- ^ "Discogs". Discogs. http://www.discogs.com/Hewhocannotbenamed-Sunday-School-Massacre/release/2299035. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
Kyuss Kyuss Lives! Studio albums Compilations Extended playsSons of Kyuss (1990) Singles ToursBlues for the Red Sun Tour · Welcome to Sky Valley Tour · ...And the Circus Leaves Town Tour · Kyuss Lives! Tour Related articles Queens of the Stone Age Contributors Studio albums EPs Singles Soundtrack appearancesThe Punisher: The Album Other songs DVDs Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nick Oliveri — Datos generales Nombre real Nick Stephen Oliveri Nac … Wikipedia Español
Nick Oliveri — Nick Steven Oliveri (né le 21 octobre 1971) est un musicien américain d origine californienne. Il joue actuellement de la basse et chante dans son propre groupe, Mondo Generator. Il avait rejoint en 1998 les … Wikipédia en Français
Nick Oliveri — (2006) Nick Oliveri (* 21. Oktober 1971 in Palm Desert, Kalifornien) ist ein US amerikanischer Musiker. Leben Oliveri war Mitglied in der Band Kyuss. Nach deren Auflösung spielte er zeitweise bei den Dwarves und ab 199 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oliveri (Begriffsklärung) — Oliveri steht für eine Gemeinde in der Provinz Messina in der Region Sizilien in Italien, siehe Oliveri Oliveri ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Nick Oliveri (* 1971), US amerikanischer Musiker Robert Oliveri (* 1978), US amerikanischer… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nick Raskulinecz — Raskulinecz (right, in back) with Nick Oliveri Background information Born Knoxville, Tennessee Occup … Wikipedia
Robert Oliveri — Infobox actor name = Robert Oliveri caption = birthdate = April 28, 1978 birthplace = Walnut, CaliforniaRobert Dane Oliveri (born April 28, 1978) is an American actor. He is probably best known as Nick Szalinski in Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and… … Wikipedia
Robert Oliveri — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Robert Dane Oliveri nació el 28 de abril de 1978 es un actor estadounidense. Probablemente es mejor conocido como Nick Szalinski en Honey, I Shrunk the Kids y la primera secuela Honey, I Blew Up the Kid. Contenido 1… … Wikipedia Español
Robert Oliveri — Robert Dane Oliveri (* 28. April 1978 in Los Angeles, Kalifornien) ist ein ehemaliger US amerikanischer Filmschauspieler. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben 2 Filmografie 3 Auszeichnungen … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert Oliveri — est un acteur américain né le 28 avril 1978 à Los Angeles, Californie (États Unis). Sommaire 1 Biographie 2 Filmographie 3 Récompenses et nominations … Wikipédia en Français
Mondo Generator — Background information Origin Van Nuys, California, USA Genres Hard rock … Wikipedia