- NX Nastran
NX Nastran is a Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) tool provided by Siemens PLM Software.
Relation to the Original NASTRAN
Since the 1970s, the original version of NASTRAN has been one of many FEA solutions of choice in many major industries including aerospace, defense, automotive, shipbuilding, heavy machinery, medical and consumer products. It is currently one of many computer-aided software solutions (ALGOR, ANSYS, ABAQUS and MARC to name a few others) for the analysis of stress, vibration, structural failure, structural durability, heat transfer, noise, acoustics, flutter and aeroelasticity.
The solvers in NX Nastran are based on the source code of the the original NASTRAN.
NX Nastran Solutions
NX Nastran supports a range of solutions for product simulation:
* NX Nastran – Basic: The core subset of NX Nastran and includes a suite of linear statics, normal modes, buckling analyses and heat transfer capabilities.
* NX Nastran – Advanced Nonlinear: Provides the capability to analyze FE models with nonlinear behavior due to contacting parts, material nonlinearities and/or geometric nonlinearities (i.e. large deformations). The Advanced Nonlinear solver is an add-on based on an integration of ADINA implicit and explicit solvers with NX Nastran.
* NX Nastran – Dynamic Response: Calculates forced dynamic response to inputs (loads or motions) that vary with time or frequency.
* NX Nastran – Superelements: Is used when solving very large and complex finite element models by decomposing larger structures into smaller substructures called superelements.
* NX Nastran – Direct Matrix Abstraction Program (DMAP): Programming capability that allows customers to expand NX Nastran with their own applications and custom modules. This module is somehow (?) related to the
Direct Matrix Abstraction Program, which is part of the 'original' NASTRAN.
* NX Nastran – Optimization: Automates the process of comparing performance against specifications.
* NX Nastran – Aeroelasticity: Simulates structural models in the presence of an air stream.
* NX Nastran – Advanced Aeroelasticity: An extension of the above with specialized features for supersonic aeroelastic analyses.
* NX Nastran Distributed Memory Parallel (DMP): Distributed memory parallel functionality enables the execution of extremely large models by utilizing the simultaneous processing capabilities of the latest multi-processor platforms and environments including workstation clusters.
* NX Nastran – Rotor Dynamics: Enables engineers to develop designs that operate away from the critical unstable operating speeds of rotating systems.
* NX Nastran for Fe
NX Nastran Software Architecture
NX Nastran is a single integrated solver designed to be flexible and robust. It is a standalone solution for the extended enterprise.
NX Nastran typically runs on networked server CPUs and supports multiple users, multiple sites and/or multiple finite element pre- and post-processing applications, whether supplied by Siemens PLM Software or other CAE solution providers.
NX Nastran provides interoperability with a large number of CAE applications and ensures a common simulation backbone across a variety of user needs and throughout the entire digital prototyping process. The digital simulation results are readily accessible to all CAE users within an enterprise with the minimum of analysis re-work.
Operating Systems and Compatibilty
Additional desktop versions of the NX Nastran solvers are available with the NX,I-deas NX Series, and Femap CAE offerings.
* The NX Nastran page at UGS http://www.ugs.com/products/nx/simulation/advanced/nastran/
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.