- Metropolitan Building (Detroit)
Metropolitan Building General information Type office Architectural style Gothic Revival Location 33 John R Street
Coordinates Coordinates: Construction started 1924 Completed 1925 Height Antenna spire 182 ft 10 in (55.7 m) Roof 173 ft 8 in (52.9 m) Technical details Floor count 15 Design and construction Architect Weston and Ellington
The building was built in 1924 and finished in 1925. It stands at 15 stories and was once occupied by shops, offices, and the facilities of jewelry manufacturers and wholesalers leading it to also be known as the "Jeweler's Building". The manufacture of luminous watch dials in the building left behind several toxic substances that have thwarted redevelopment plans. Architects Weston and Ellington designed it in a Neo-Gothic style. The exterior of the building is faced with brick, granite, and terra cotta.
The Metropolitan Building closed in 1977 and current plans call for development into lofts. In March 2010, the Downtown Development Authority voted to install safety scaffolding and netting on the building to prevent parts of the facade from falling.
- ^ Joe Swickard (16 July 2011). "Neighbor cheers judge's repair order of crumbling Wurlitzer skyscraper". Detroit Free Press (freep.com). http://www.freep.com/article/20110716/NEWS01/107160369/Neighbor-cheers-judge-s-repair-order-crumbling-Wurlitzer-skyscraper?odyssey=mod. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- ^ Hill, Eric J., and Gallagher, John (2002). AIA Detroit: The American Institute of Architects Guide to Detroit Architecture, p. 52. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-3120-3.
- Meyer, Katherine Mattingly and Martin C.P. McElroy with Introduction by W. Hawkins Ferry, Hon A.I.A. (1980). Detroit Architecture A.I.A. Guide Revised Edition. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1651-4.
- Sharoff, Robert (2005). American City: Detroit Architecture. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-3270-6.
- Gallagher, John. "Metropolitan Building in Detroit to get safety scaffolding". http://www.freep.com/article/20100310/NEWS01/100310073/0/NEWS05. Retrieved 12 March 2010. [dead link]
- Metropolitan Building details at Emporis.com
- SkyscraperPage.com's Profile on the Metropolitan Building
Architecture of metropolitan Detroit Skyscrapers10 tallest
to 73 stories20 tallest30 tallest40 tallest50 - 195 tallest60 - 195 tallest70 - 195 tallestNew Center
to 30 storiesEast side
to 29 storiesSuburban
to 32 stories
under 10 stories
Parks and gardens Museums and librariesDetroit Institute of Arts · Detroit Public Library · Museum of African American History · Science Center · Historical Museum · Cranbrook · The Henry Ford · Meadowbrook Hall · Fair Lane · Edsel and Eleanor Ford House · Pewabic Pottery · Southfield Public Library · University of Michigan Museum of Art Religious landmarksReligious landmarks Performance centers Neighborhood
See also: List of tallest buildings in Detroit City of Detroit Metro Detroit · Michigan · United States
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Metropolitan Building (Minneapolis) — For the building in Detroit, Michigan, see Metropolitan Building (Detroit). The Metropolitan Building in November 1960 The Metropolitan Building, originally known as the Northwestern Guaranty Loan Building, is considered to be one of the most… … Wikipedia
Metropolitan Building — For the building in Detroit, Michigan, see Metropolitan Building (Detroit). The Metropolitan Building, originally known as the Northwestern Guaranty Loan Building, is considered to be one of the most architecturally significant structures in the… … Wikipedia
Majestic Building (Detroit) — The Majestic Building c. 1896 – 1899 The Majestic Building is a former high rise in Downtown Detroit, Michigan. It was located at 137 Woodward Avenue. The building was constructed in 1896 … Wikipedia
Marquette Building (Detroit) — Marquette Building U.S. Historic district Contributing property … Wikipedia
Detroit Financial District — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Detroit Institute of Arts — Established 1885 Location 5200 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan … Wikipedia
Detroit Free Press Building — General information Type Office Location 321 W. Lafayette Street … Wikipedia
Detroit Opera House — faces Grand Circus Park. Location 1526 Broadway Street Detroit, Michigan 48226 … Wikipedia
Detroit Masonic Temple — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic District Contributing Property … Wikipedia
Detroit Building — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district Contributing property … Wikipedia