- Oldsmobile Intrigue
Oldsmobile Intrigue Manufacturer General Motors Production 1998–2002 Assembly Kansas City, Kansas, United States Predecessor Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Class Mid-size car Body style 4-door sedan Layout FF layout Platform W-body 2nd Gen Engine 3.8 L L36 OHV V6
3.5 L LX5 DOHC V6
Transmission 4-speed 4T65-E automatic Wheelbase 109.0 in (2,769 mm) Length 195.9 in (4,976 mm) Width 73.6 in (1,869 mm) Height 56.6 in (1,438 mm) Curb weight 3,455 lb (1,567 kg) Related Buick Century
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Pontiac Grand Prix
The Oldsmobile Intrigue was a mid-size sedan manufactured from 1998 through 2002 by the Oldsmobile division of General Motors. The Intrigue's design cues were first seen in 1995 with the Oldsmobile Antares concept car. The Intrigue was the first casualty in the phase-out process of Oldsmobile.
The Aurora-inspired Intrigue was designed to compete more with Japanese automobiles, and replaced the aging Cutlass Supreme. It went into production on May 5, 1997. It was similar to a range of mid-sized sedans from other GM divisions, including the Buick Century, Buick Regal, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Monte Carlo and the Pontiac Grand Prix. The Intrigue was available in three trim levels: base GX, mid-level GL, and high-end GLS.
All Intrigues were built at the GM Fairfax plant in Kansas City, Kansas, where the Grand Prix was also built (the Buick Century and Regal, and the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo were all built in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada). For the 1999 model year, a new 3.5 L DOHC engine was introduced it was a six-cylinder design based on Cadillac's Northstar V8, which was nicknamed the "Shortstar". The 3.5 L engine became standard for 2000, giving the Intrigue the most powerful standard engine of any W-body car.
Another exclusive was a standard 140 mph speedometer. With the Autobahn package the Intrigue came with larger 12-inch front brake rotors, being the first 2nd Gen W-body to incorporate bigger brakes. For 1998-99 models the Autobahn package consisted of a 3.29 differential ratio opposed to the standard 3.05, H-rated tires, 12-inch front brakes with ceramic pads, and a 128 mph speed limiter. For 2000 it was renamed Precision Sport Package which included everything from the Autobahn package except the larger 12-inch front brake rotors, and added the Precision Control System (also known as Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)). For 2002 the Intrigue Final 500 Collector’s Edition cars came in a unique Dark Cherry Metallic paint and featured Aurora-styled 17x7.5-inch chrome wheels.
On June 14, 2002, the final Intrigue rolled off the assembly line as part of the Final 500 Collectors Edition.
- 1998–1999 OHV 3.8 L L36 (231 in³) V6 195 hp @ 5200 rpm, 220 lb·ft @ 4000 rpm
- 1999–2002 DOHC 3.5 L LX5 (212 in³) V6 215 hp @ 5600 rpm 234 lb·ft @ 4400 rpm (according to the Intrigue's owner's manual)
- 1998: 3.8 L, no GX trim but standard model, external radio antenna
- 1999: For the beginning of this model year, the DOHC 3.5 L "Shortstar" engine was standard in the top-line GLS and optional on mid-level GL and base GX models. Early GLS models could be ordered with the 3.8L instead of the standard (for GLS) 3.5 L, but later on the 3.8 L was phased out and the 3.5 L became standard on all models. Decklids now wore a small Oldsmobile badge. In the previous model year, there was a complaint that some people couldn't tell that Intrigues were Oldsmobiles. If you look closely, you can read 'Oldsmobile' molded in the backup light lens in the taillight housing on all model years. All models now got a thicker, leather-wrapped steering wheel. New to the option list was GM's OnStar emergency/communications system. Integrated rear radio antenna was standard this year and after.
- 2000: New wheels featured a fancier six-spoke design. New to the option list for 2000 was an antiskid system called the Precision Control System. Precision Control System was designed to help keep the car on its intended path by selective braking of one or more individual wheels. Though optional on all models, GX buyers had to order optional traction control to get the new antiskid system. Heated power front seats were now standard on GLS models. Standard leather door inserts trim not cloth, Retained accessory power was standard this year. "Oldsmobile" emblem on deck lid is larger than on 1999 models, although some early 2000 models carried the smaller version. A new gold-trim package was also available. New automatic headlights were now standard on all models.
- 2001: On GX models, traction control became standard instead of optional. Premium Leather and Precision Sport option packages were also available for this year.
- 2002: GLS models now featured a two-tone interior with sterling accents, as well as standard HomeLink, sunroof, and driver lumbar. All models featured new family of radios with RDS and standard CD player (borrowed from the newly-redesigned Aurora). Tropic Teal and Indigo Blue were two new exterior colors. All models had new LATCH (Lower Anchor and Top tether for Children) in three rear seat positions. Sun & Sound package was available on GL models (includes Bose sound system and sunroof). New winchester headliner was inside. Production of the Intrigue ended in June 2002 as part of the phaseout of the Oldsmobile brand. The Final 500 Collectors Edition versions came in a unique Dark Cherry Metallic paint with special classic-style Oldsmobile emblems and featured Aurora-styled 17-inch chrome wheels. Owners also received a special commemorative packet.
Final 500 #499 was the last retail model and was special-ordered by a member of the Southern California Chapter of the Oldsmobile Club of America and had a special hood sheet signed by members of the Fairfax plant.
- Intrigue Repair Website
- Oldsmobile Forums
- Automotive Forums
- 1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue Reviews
« previous — Oldsmobile road car timeline, 1980s–2004 Type 1980s 1990s 2000s 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 Compact Starfire Firenza Omega Cutlass Calais Achieva Alero Mid-size Cutlass Cutlass Ciera Cutlass Cutlass Cruiser Cutlass Cruiser Cutlass Supreme Cutlass Supreme Intrigue Full-size Eighty-Eight Eighty-Eight Eighty-Eight Ninety-Eight Ninety-Eight Ninety-Eight Regency Custom Cruiser Custom Cruiser LSS Aurora Aurora Personal luxury Toronado Toronado Minivan Silhouette Silhouette SUV Bravada Bravada Bravada Cars40 • 53 • 66 • 88 • 98 • 442 • Achieva • Alero • Aurora • Curved Dash • Custom Cruiser • Cutlass • Cutlass Calais • Cutlass Ciera • Cutlass Cruiser • Cutlass Supreme • F-85 • Firenza • Intrigue • Jetstar I • Limited Touring • Omega • Series 60 • Series 70 • Oldsmobile Series 90 • Starfire • Toronado • Vista Cruiser Minivans / SUVs Concepts and Prototypes
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oldsmobile Intrigue — Fabricante General Motors Período 1998 2000 Sucesor Buick Regal Carrocerías Sedan cuatro puertas … Wikipedia Español
Oldsmobile Intrigue — Hersteller: General Motors Produktionszeitraum: 1998–2002 Klasse … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oldsmobile — Industry Automotive Fate Dissolved Founded August 21, 1897 Defunct April 29, 2004 Headquarters … Wikipedia
Oldsmobile Cutlass — Manufacturer General Motors Production 1961–1999 Predecessor Oldsmobile Cutlass Cier … Wikipedia
Oldsmobile — Год основания 21 августа 1897 … Википедия
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme — Hersteller: General Motors Produktionszeitraum: 1967–1997 Klasse: Mittelklasse Karosserieversionen: Stufenheck, viertürig Hardtop Stufenheck, viertürig Coupé, zwe … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oldsmobile 4-4-2 — Oldsmobile 442 Der Oldsmobile 442 war ein von der amerikanischen Automobilmarke Oldsmobile von 1964 bis 1991 (mit Unterbrechungen) produzierter Muscle Car. Der 442 wurde als Austattungspaket im Modelljahr 1964 erstmals eingeführt und basierte auf … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oldsmobile 90 — Oldsmobile 90, 98 Hersteller: General Motors Produktionszeitraum: 1940–1996 Klasse: Oberklasse Karosserieversionen: Stufenheck, viertürig Coupé, zweitürig Cabriolet, Stoffdach … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oldsmobile 96 — Oldsmobile 90, 98 Hersteller: General Motors Produktionszeitraum: 1940–1996 Klasse: Oberklasse Karosserieversionen: Stufenheck, viertürig Coupé, zweitürig Cabriolet, Stoffdach … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oldsmobile Classic 98 — Oldsmobile 90, 98 Hersteller: General Motors Produktionszeitraum: 1940–1996 Klasse: Oberklasse Karosserieversionen: Stufenheck, viertürig Coupé, zweitürig Cabriolet, Stoffdach … Deutsch Wikipedia