- Topic outline of epistemology
:"For a more comprehensive list, see the
List of epistemology topics." Epistemologyor theory of knowledge is a branch of philosophyconcerned with the nature and scope of knowledge. [Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Volume 3, 1967, Macmillan, Inc.] The term was introduced into English by the Scottish philosopher James Frederick Ferrier(1808-1864). [Encyclopaedia Britannica Online, 2007] Epistemology the questions: "What is knowledge?", "How is knowledge acquired?", and "What do people know?"
The following outline is provided as an overview of and introduction to epistemology:
Essence of epistemology
: "Main article:
Descriptive knowledge("knowledge that")
* Theories of justification
Foundationalism- Self-evident basic beliefs justify other non-basic beliefs.
Coherentism- Beliefs are justified if they cohere with other beliefs a person holds, each belief is justified if it coheres with the overall system of beliefs.
Internalism- The believer must be able to justify a belief through internal knowledge.
Externalism- Outside sources of knowledge can be used to justify a belief.
** Skepticism - A variety of viewpoints questioning the possibility of knowledge.
** Minority viewpoints include:
Foundherentism- A combination of foundationalism and coherentism proposed by Susan Haack.
Infinitism- Beliefs are justified by infinite chains of reasons, as proposed by Peter D. Klein.
* Common justifiers
Abductive Reasoningor Inference to the Best Explanation
History of epistemology
: "Main article:
History of epistemology"
History of scientific method
Timeline of the history of scientific method
Basic epistemology concepts
Criteria of truth
Leaders in epistemology
: "Main article:
List of epistemology topics"
* [http://pantheon.yale.edu/~kd47/What-Is-Epistemology.htm What Is Epistemology?] — a brief introduction to the topic by Keith DeRose.
* [http://fleetwood.baylor.edu/certain_doubts/ Certain Doubts] — a group blog run by Jonathan Kvanvig, with many leading epistemologists as contributors.
* [http://www.db.dk/jni/lifeboat/ The Epistemological Lifeboat] by Birger Hjørland & Jeppe Nicolaisen (eds.)
* [http://pantheon.yale.edu/~kd47/e-page.htm The Epistemology Page] by Keith DeRose.
* [http://journal.ilovephilosophy.com/Article/Justified-True-Belief-and-Critical-Rationalism/220 Justified True Belief and Critical Rationalism] by Mathew Toll
* [http://home.sprynet.com/~owl1/epistemo.htm Epistemology Papers] a collection of Michael Huemer's.
* [http://www.galilean-library.org/int5.html Epistemology Introduction, Part 1] and [http://www.galilean-library.org/int20.html Part 2] by Paul Newall at the Galilean Library.
* [http://www.ditext.com/clay/know.html "Teaching Theory of Knowledge" (1986)] — Marjorie Clay (ed.), an electronic publication from The Council for Philosophical Studies.
* [http://www.groovyweb.uklinux.net/?page_name=philosophy%20of%20knowledge&category=philosophy Epistemology: The Philosophy of Knowledge] — an introduction at Groovyweb.
* [http://www.philosophyonline.co.uk/tok/tokhome.htm Introduction to Theory of Knowledge] — from PhilosophyOnline.
* [http://ThePeripatetic.com The Peripatetic] A practical introduction to the theory of knowledge
* [http://www.theoryofknowledge.info/ Theory of Knowledge] — an introduction to epistemology, exploring the various theories of knowledge, justification, and belief.
* [http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=904833 A Theory of Knowledge] by Clóvis Juarez Kemmerich, on the Social Science Research Network, 2006.
* [http://www.galilean-library.org/int5.html An Introduction to Epistemology] by Paul Newall, aimed at beginners.
* [http://davidspeakslive.com David Speaks Live — A lecture on Ontological Epistemology]
* [http://www.reflectionsindia.org/knowledge.php Knowledge is the eye of all - Knowledge in the Upanishads]
* [http://www.sofiatopia.org/equiaeon/clearings.htm On a Critical Epistemology]
* [http://www.percepp.com/meaning.htm Language Perception and Action: Philosophical Issues]
* [http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/justep-foundational/ Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on Foundationalist Theories of Epistemic Justification]
* [http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epistemology/#WIJ Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on Epistemology, 2. What is Justification?]
* [http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/justification-public/ Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on Public Justification]
* [http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/justep-intext/ Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on Internalist vs. Externalist Conceptions of Epistemic Justification]
* [http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/justep-coherence/ Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on Coherentist Theories of Epistemic Justification]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Outline of epistemology — See also: Index of epistemology articles The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to epistemology: Epistemology or theory of knowledge – branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and scope of knowledge. The… … Wikipedia
Topic outline of philosophy — Philosophy is an ongoing discussion about knowledge ; it is a broad field of inquiry in which the definition of knowledge itself is one of the subjects investigated. Philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom, spans the nature of the universe and human… … Wikipedia
Topic outline of history — The list of basic history topics includes various historical topics and other collected sets of information about the past. When used as the name of a field of study, history refers to the study and interpretation of the record of humans,… … Wikipedia
Outline of philosophy — For other uses, see Philosophy (disambiguation). See also: Index of philosophy articles The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to philosophy: Philosophy – study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters … Wikipedia
Outline of anarchism — Anarchism topics Lists | Outline | Terminology | Portal | Category The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical gu … Wikipedia
Outline of history — History articles Alphabetical index: 0 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Outline | Portal | Timelines | Category The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to… … Wikipedia
Plato: metaphysics and epistemology — Robert Heinaman METAPHYSICS The Theory of Forms Generality is the problematic feature of the world that led to the development of Plato’s Theory of Forms and the epistemological views associated with it.1 This pervasive fact of generality appears … History of philosophy
Determinism — This article is about the general notion of determinism in philosophy. For other uses, see Determinism (disambiguation). Not to be confused with Fatalism, Predeterminism, or Predictability. Certainty series … Wikipedia
Contextualism — describes a collection of views in philosophy which emphasize the context in which an action, utterance, or expression occurs, and argues that, in some important respect, the action, utterance, or expression can only be understood relative to… … Wikipedia
Robert Nozick — Full name Robert Nozick Born November 16, 1938(1938 11 16) Brooklyn, New York Died January 23, 2002 … Wikipedia