- List of translators
This is primarily a list of notable Western translators. Large sublists have been split off to separate articles.
By target language
Into Azerbaijani (Azeri)
- Hamlet Isaxanli (Isayev) - translator of poems from Russian, English and French
- Wang Chong
- Étienne Aignan
- Jacques Amyot produced a famous version of Plutarch's Parallel Lives, later rendered into English by Sir Thomas North
- Charles Baudelaire produced a famous and immensely influential translation of the works of Edgar Allan Poe
- Yves Bonnefoy, noted contemporary translator, particularly of English poetry.
- Marie De Cotteblanche (c1520 - c1584) , a French noble woman known for her skill in languages and translation of works from Spanish to French.
- Chateaubriand translated Milton's epic poem Paradise Lost into French prose
- Anne Dacier – translated classical Greek works
- Antoine Galland - translated the first European edition of the Arabian Nights
- Jean Hyppolite - translated Hegel and popularized his work
- Leconte de Lisle – translated classical Greek authors
- J. C. Mardrus - a translator of the Arabian Nights
- Geneviève Maury - translated Thomas Mann from the German
- Joachim Honnef - translator of popular fiction
- Henny Koch - produced the first translation of Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in 1890
- Franz Kuhn - translator of many Chinese works including Dream of the Red Chamber into German
- Schlegel and Tieck produced the most famous German translation of Shakespeare
- Ingo Sundmacher - translator of literature, radio plays, theatre end film from Danish, English, Norwegian and Swedish into German
- Johann Heinrich Voss - translated classical poetry into German
- Abraham bar Hiyya Ha-Nasi - translated scientific works from Arabic into Hebrew (for further translation into Latin by Plato of Tivoli)
- Yehuda Alharizi - translated Maimonides' Guide for the Perplexed and Arabic maqama poetry
- T. Carmi - Shakespeare
- Ibn Tibbon family - translated Greek, Roman, Arab, and Jewish works from Arabic
- Emperor D. Pedro II - translated poetry by Luís de Camões from Portuguese
- Abraham Regelson - translated literature from English and Yiddish
- Yitzhak Salkinsohn - relatively early (19th century) translator of Milton and Shakespeare
- Abraham Shlonsky - translated Shakespeare, Gogol, and others
- Adin Steinsaltz - dozens of volumes of Talmud from Aramaic
- Shaul Tchernichovsky - prolific literary translator
- Reetu Kansal - translator of German and English texts into Hindi for a number of literary and professional organisations
- Pian Boalt - translates Italian belles-lettres into Interlingua
- Alexander Gode - translated scientific and medical literature into Interlingua
- Italo Calvino - translated Raymond Queneau's Les fleurs bleues (The Blue Flowers)
- Ettore Capriolo - translated McLuhan, Camus, Rushdie
- Masolino D'Amico - translated Hemingway and other authors from English
- Eduardo De Filippo - translated Shakepeare's The Tempest into 18th century Neapolitan
- Carlo Linati - translated Joyce, Lawrence, Yeats, Synge, Dickens and Henry James
- Vincenzo Mantovani - translated works by William Faulkner, Henry Miller, Philip Roth, Salman Rushdie, Saul Bellow, Malcolm Lowry, Charles Bukowski, Isaac Asimov, Richard Ford, William Gaddis, John Updike, Norman Mailer, Bernard Malamud, Jerzy Kosinski and others
- Maria Napolitano Martone - translated works by Ernest Hemingway, Erskine Caldwell, Archibald Joseph Cronin, James M. Cain, W. Somerset Maugham, John Fante, William Hudson, P.G. Wodehouse, Daphne du Maurier
- Grazyna Miller - translated Pope John Paul II's Roman Triptych: Meditations from Polish into Italian
- Cesare Pavese - translated Melville, Dickens and others
- Fernanda Pivano - translated works by Ernest Hemingway, Edgar Lee Masters, Francis Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Thornton Wilder, Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Gregory Corso and many other English-language authors
- Elio Vittorini - translated works by Ernest Hemingway, William Saroyan, John Steinbeck, Erskine Caldwell, William Faulkner, D.H. Lawrence and Edgar Allan Poe
- Matsudaira Chiaki - translator of Homer, Xenophon
- Watanabe Kazuo - translator of French
- Ogai Mori - translator of Goethe and Andersen (from the German)
- Shunji Shimizu - translator of movie dialogs and Raymond Chandler
- Haruki Murakami - translator of Raymond Chandler
- Maruya Saiichi - translator of Joyce
- Odajima Seisi - translator of Shakespeare
- Chansoon Park - translator of movie dialogs
- Eunjeong Rho - translator of current English works into Korean
- Yeonhyang Lee - translator and professor at Monterey Inst. of Foreign Studies
- Hyangseon Lee - translator of movie dialogs
- Kiman Hong - translator of movie dialogs, from English or Japanese into Korean and, vice versa
- Herman of Carinthia translated Arabic scientific texts into Latin.
- St. Jerome produced the Latin Vulgate version of the Bible; is regarded among Christians as the patron saint of translators.
- Robert of Ketton and Herman of Carinthia rendered the Qur'an into Latin (1142-1143).
- Jalal Al-e-Ahmad – translated works by Camus, Sartre, Dostoevski, etc.
- Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński – prolific translator of French classic literature; murdered by the Nazis.
- Stanisław Czerski - translator of the fables of Phaedrus
- Feliks Konopka – translator of Goethe's Faust.
- Ignacy Krasicki – translated Plutarch and Ossian.
- Bolesław Leśmian – poet who translated the tales of Edgar Allan Poe.
- Jerzy S. Sito – translator of English-language poetry.
- Maciej Słomczyński – translator of James Joyce's Ulysses and of the complete works of Shakespeare.
- Robert Stiller – prolific translator of classic and contemporary literature, from a score of languages, European as well as Oriental.
- Władysław Syrokomla – superb translator of Latin, French, German, Russian and Ukrainian poets, including works by Béranger, Goethe, Heine, Lermontov, Nekrasov and Shevchenko.
- Julian Tuwim – translator of Alexander Pushkin and other Russian poets.
- Adam Ważyk – translator of Alexander Pushkin's Eugene Onegin.
- Bronisław Zieliński – translator of classic and contemporary English-language literature.
- Machado de Assis
- Carlos do Amaral Freire
- Daniel Galera
- Décio Pignatari - translator of Dante, Shakespeare, Goethe and McLuhan
- Ana Saldanha - translator of Mandela, Kipling
- Abraham Usque
- Aleksey Mikhalyov - translated John Steinbeck's East of Eden and many other authors, as well as numerous films and cartoons
- Ivan Bunin - translated The Song of Hiawatha
- Alexander Druzhinin - translated several of Shakespeare's plays and the poetry of George Crabbe
- Nikolay Gnedich - made the classical translation of The Iliad
- Mikhail Lozinsky - made the classical translation of The Divine Comedy
- Samuil Marshak - translated Shakespeare's sonnets, among his other works
- Vladimir Nabokov - translated Alice in Wonderland and Lolita
- Boris Pasternak - translated Faust and Hamlet
- Vasily Zhukovsky - some of his translations proved more lasting than their originals
- Viktor Golyshev - translated Light in August, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, All the King's Men, Theophilus North, 1984, Other Voices, Other Rooms, Set This House on Fire, Pulp and other books. He mostly worked on American literature.
- Jorge Luis Borges - translated many English, French, and German works into Spanish
- Javier Marías - translated many English works into Spanish
- Fortunatus Kawegere - translator of Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Julius Nyerere, first president of Tanzania, translated Shakespeare into Swahili
- Carl August Hagberg – translator of Shakespeare
(Authors who translated their own work into other languages)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of translators into English — Translators of Greek and Latin classics into EnglishTranslators of Homer*Samuel Butler *George Chapman ( Iliad , 1611; Odyssey , 1614 15) *Robert Fagles *Robert Fitzgerald *Andrew Lang and Samuel Henry Butcher (complete, in prose, 1879) *Richmond … Wikipedia
List of the animals in the Bible — See main article Animals in the Bible. The following is a list of animals whose name appears in the Bible. Whenever required for the identification, the Hebrew name will be indicated, as well as the specific term used by Zoologists. This list… … Wikipedia
List of cultural references in The Cantos — This is a list of people, places, events, etc. that feature in Ezra Pound s The Cantos , a long, incomplete poem in 120 sections, each of which is a canto. It is a book length work, widely considered to present formidable difficulties to the… … Wikipedia
List of fictional books — A fictional book is a non existent book created specifically for (i.e. within) a work of fiction. This is not a list of works of fiction (i.e., actual novels, mysteries, etc), but rather imaginary books that do not actually exist.UsesSuch a book… … Wikipedia
List of Bible translators — This a list of Bible translators by language. =Fox Aleut= *Ivan Evseyevich Popov Veniaminov (Saint Innocent of Alaska) Russian Orthodox, into Fox Aleut =Algonquin= *John Eliot into AlgonquinAmharic*Johann Ludwig Krapf German, parts into Oromo,… … Wikipedia
List of compilers — This page is intended to list all current compilers, compiler generators, interpreters, translators, etc.C/C++ compilers Pascal CompilersOpen source compilers Production quality, open source compilers. * Amsterdam Compiler Kit (ACK) [C, Pascal,… … Wikipedia
List of North American broadcast station classes — This is a list of broadcast station classes applicable in much of North America under international agreements between the United States, Canada and Mexico. Effective radiated power (ERP) and height above average terrain (HAAT) are listed unless… … Wikipedia
List of PBS member stations — This is a list of member stations of the United States Public Broadcasting Service.Alabama*Alabama Public Television statewide simulcast on nine stationsAlaska*AlaskaOne statewide simulcast on three stations *Anchorage KAKM 7 *Kodiak KMXT 9… … Wikipedia
List of Iranians — This is a list of notable Iranians: In the news * Nazanin Afshin Jam, Actress, Singer/Songwriter, Human Rights Activist, Miss World 2003 1st runner up; Miss Canada 2003. * Shohreh Aghdashloo, Iranian American actress * Goli Ameri, Republican… … Wikipedia
List of Street Fighter characters — Characters including Ryu, Akuma, and M. Bison in the cover of Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition This is a list of characters from the Street Fighter fighting game series. This list covers the original Street Fighter, the Street Fighter II… … Wikipedia