- Football League of Ireland in Cork city
Cork is a city in the
Republic of Ireland. Six clubs from Cork have played in the Football League of Irelandand five of them have either resigned from the league or been expelled. Apart from a brief spell in the early 1980s there has been a continuous presence of League of Ireland clubs in the city since 1924. Cork City F.C.are the only side currently playing League of Ireland football in Cork , having entered the league in 1984. Cobh Ramblersjoined the league in 1985 and play in Cobh, another small town in County Cork.
"fnb|1 Where multiple names are listed, the clubs have changed names. See below"
A timeline of League of Ireland Football in Cork city
Fordsons F.C.become first club from Cork to play in League of Ireland. Finish 4th in 1924/25 season
* 1930 Fordsons changed their name to
Cork Bohemiansenter league.
Cork F.C.win the FAI Cup. Cork Bohemians resigned from league.
Cork F.C.changed their name to Cork City
* 1940 On
13 FebruaryCork City was dissolved and Cork Unitedwas immediately formed. United took on the playing record and fixtures of the defunct club.
* 1941 Cork United win league and FAI cup double. They finished level with Waterford AFC on points and the league decided a play off should be played in Cork. Waterford refused to play in Cork, preferring a neutral ground or a two legged game. The league awarded the championship to Cork United. Cork also beat Waterford in the FAI Cup final after a replay.
Cork Unitedwin league for second season in a row
* 1943 Cork United complete hat trick of league titles
* 1945 Cork United win fourth league title
* 1946 Cork United win 5th league title in six seasons
* 1947 Cork United win FAI Cup
* 1948 On
October 10United resigned from the league after competing in the Dublin City Cupand some of the Shield. Cork Athletic F.C.was immediately formed with the same personnel and took their place in the league
Cork Athleticwin the league
* 1951 Cork Athletic win the league and FAI Cup double.
Evergreen United F.C.elected to the league
* 1953 Cork Athletic win FAI Cup
* 1957 Cork athletic resign from league.
Cork Hibernians F.C.elected to league.
* 1959 Evergreen United change their name to
Cork Celtic F.C.
* 1971 Cork Hibernians win the league championship
* 1972 Cork HIbernians win FAI Cup.
Miah Dennehyscores first ever hat trick in final.
* 1973 Cork Hibs win FAI Cup for second year ina row
* 1974 Cork Celtic win league championship
* 1976 Cork Hibernians resign from league.
Albert Rovers F.C.elected to league.
* 1977 Albert Rovers change their name to
Cork Albert F.C.and in October changed again, adding an 's' to become Cork Alberts F.C.
* 1979 Cork Celtic resigned from league. Cork Alberts change their name to
Cork United F.C.
* 1982 Cork United Expelled from the league.
Cork City F.C.formed and elected to the league.
* 1993 Cork City win league title
* 1998 Cork City win FAI Cup
* 2005 Cork City win league title
* 2007 Cork City win FAI Cup
Football League of Ireland
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
League of Ireland in Cork city — Cork is a city in the Republic of Ireland. Seven association football fmt;clubs from Cork have played in the League of Ireland; six of which have either resigned from the league or been expelled. Apart from a brief spell in the early 1980s there… … Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland 2006 — Clubs information (*) Shamrock Rovers F.C. were deducted three points for fielding a suspended playerP = Matches played; W = Matches won; D = Matches drawn; L = Matches lost; F = Goals for; A = Goals against; GD = Goal difference; Pts =… … Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland — Die FAI eircom National League of Ireland, bis Ende 2006 Football League of Ireland auch unter der Kurzbezeichnung League of Ireland bekannt, ist der Name der in zwei Spielklassen eingeteilten Profifußballliga der Republik Irland. Sie entstand… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland 2005 — The 2005 Football League of Ireland season began on Friday 18 March 2005 and ended with the FAI Cup Final on Sunday December 4th. This season saw the Premier Divsision expanded to include twelve teams with the First Division now reduced to ten.… … Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland — Infobox sports league logo=Eircomleague.jpg pixels=80 sport=Football founded=1921 revamped=2006 teams=21 (2006) country=Flag|Republic of Ireland NIR (one team) champion=Shelbourne folded=2006The Football League of Ireland, usually known simply as … Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland Cup — Der Football League of Ireland Cup ist ein irischer Fußballwettbewerb ausgerichtet vom irischen Fußballverband (Football Association of Ireland), an dem alle Mannschaften der Football League of Ireland teilnehmen können. Derry City, die auch die… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland 2004 — The 2004 Football League of Ireland season began on Friday 19 March 2004 and ended on Monday November 22th. This season was like a transitional one as only team was relegated from the Premier Division and three promoted from the First Division.… … Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland Cup 2008 — The eircom League of Ireland Cup 2008 was the 35th staging of the Football League of Ireland Cup which was won by Derry City.24 four clubs participated in the 2008 competition. 22 Eircom League clubs were joined by Donegal intermediate side… … Wikipedia
Football League of Ireland 1992-93 — Statistics of Football League of Ireland in the 1992/1993 season.OverviewIt was contested by 22 teams, and Cork City F.C. won the championship.Premier DivisionFirst DivisionReferences … Wikipedia
Australian Rules Football League of Ireland — The Australian rules football League of Ireland (ARFLI) is an Australian rules football competition and governing body in Ireland.The league is not affiliated with the Gaelic Athletic Association or the International Rules Series.HistoryThe ARFLI … Wikipedia