- Harvey Wasserman
Harvey Franklin Wasserman is an author, journalist and advocate for
renewable energy. He has been a strategist and organizer in the anti-nuclear movement in the United Statesfor over 30 years. He has been a featured speaker on Today, Nightline, National Public Radio, CNN Lou Dobbs Tonightand other major media outlets. Wasserman is senior advisor to GreenpeaceUSA and the Nuclear Information and Resource Service, [ [http://freepress.org/columns.php?strFunc=display&strID=1561&strYear=2007&strAuthor=7 Mother Earth can't live without a Solartopian vision] ] an investigative reporter, and senior editor of The Columbus Free Presswhere his coverage, with Bob Fitrakis, has prompted Rev. Jesse Jacksonto call them "the Woodward and Bernstein of the 2004 election." [ [http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0509/S00310.htm How The GOP Stole Election 2004 & Is Rigging 2008] ]
In 1973 he helped pioneer the global grassroots movement against atomic reactors, and coined the phrase "No Nukes" in 1974. He was a media spokesperson for the
Clamshell Alliance, and helped organize mass demonstrations at Seabrook, N.H. against reactors being built there. Rolling Stone Magazinefeatured Wasserman in its 1979 cover story on the Musicians United for Safe Energy(MUSE), which staged 5 concerts organized by Wasserman in Madison Square Gardenin 1979 shortly after the Three Mile Island accident, including New York City's 1979 "No Nukes" concerts and rally (featuring Bruce Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, CSN, James Taylorand others).
Wasserman's widespread appearances throughout the major media and at campuses and citizen gatherings have focused since the 1960s on energy, the environment, nuclear power, United States history, and election protection. In 1968 he helped found the legendary anti-war
Liberation News Service, and Massachusetts' communal/organic Montague Farm, now home to the ZenPeacemaker Community, International.
On behalf of
GreenpeaceUSA, Wasserman addressed 350,000 concert-goers at the Woodstock 1994Festival. He has been a frequent speaker at both the Starwood Festival[ [http://www.freetimes.com/story/3493 Circle Of Ash Starwood Festival cover story in Cleveland Free Times] ] and the WinterStar Symposium (a Starwood interview is documented in the book "People of the Earth" by Ellen Evert Hopman[ Bond, Lawrence & Ellen Evert Hopman(1996) "People of the Earth: The New Pagans Speak Out" (reissued as "Being a Pagan: Druids, Wiccans & Witches Today" in 2002 Destiny Books ISBN 0-89281-904-9) Harvey Wasserman Interview] . According to records from the Greater Talent Network (NY), he has addressed several score campus audiences since 1982 on issues of energy, the environment, politics and history.
Wasserman has been an instructor of history at
Hampshire Collegein Amherst, MA, and in Ohio at Columbus State Community Collegeand Capital University. Based in Ohio, Wasserman works to replace the Perry and Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Plantwith renewables and efficiency, and has helped his friends shut a trash burning power plant, a proposed radioactive wastedump, the two Zimmer and Perry nukes, a refuge-threatening housing development and a McDonald's. He currently works through Farmers Green Power in Ohio and elsewhere to promote farmer/community owned wind power and other renewables.
Wasserman's articles have appeared in the
New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, and other major newspapers, and in Rolling Stone Magazine, The Nation, Mother Jones Magazineand other magazines.His first book, "Harvey Wasserman's History of the United States", was first published by Harper & Row (NY) in 1972 (introduced by Howard Zinn), with approximate sales of 30,000 copies. (The book has been republished by Four Walls, Eight Windows (NY), and through www.harveywasserman.com.)
* "Harvey Wasserman's History of the United States" (1972)
* "The Energy War: Reports From the Front" (1979), Independent Publishers Group ISBN 0-88208-106-3
* "Killing our Own: the Disaster of America's Experience with Atomic Radiation" (with Norman Solomon, Robert Alvarez and Elenaor Walters) (1982), Delacorte Press ISBN 0-385-28537-X
* "America Born & Reborn: The Cycles of U.S. History" (1984), MacMillan Pub Co
* "The Last Energy War: the Battle over Utility Deregulation" (2000), Open Media ISBN 1-58322-017-8
* "Harvesting Wind Energy as a Cash Crop: a Guide to Local-Owned Wind Power" (with Dan Juhl) (2002), Danmar.us
* "George W. Bush vs. The Superpower of Peace" (with Bob Fitrakis) (2003), Columbus Alive ISBN 0-9710438-4-1
* "Harvey Wasserman's History of the United States" (2004) Harveywasserman.com ISBN 0-9753402-0-4
* "A Glimpse of the Big Light: Losing Parents, Finding Spirit" (2005), Harveywasserman.com ISBN 0-9753402-2-0
* "How the GOP Stole America's 2004 Election and is Rigging 2008" (with Bob Fitrakis) (2005), Harveywasserman.com ISBN 0-9753402-8-X
* "Solartopia!: Our Green-Powered Earth AD 2030" (2006) Harveywasserman.com ISBN 0-9753402-4-7
* "The Spiral Path of American History" - Lecture on cassette: recorded live at the Starwood Festival. ACE
* [http://harveywasserman.com Harvey Wasserman official site]
* [http://www.solartopia.org/ Solartopia site]
* [http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/7 Free Press Website]
* [http://www.democracynow.org/2007/12/17/harvey_wasserman_on_new_ohio_voting Harvey Wasserman interview on "Democracy Now!"] , December 17, 2007
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Harvey Washington Wiley — Har … Wikipedia
Bob Fitrakis — (born November 29, 1955) is a Professor of Political Science in the Social and Behavioral Sciences Department at Columbus State Community College, an attorney, reporter, Executive Director of the Columbus Institute for Contemporary… … Wikipedia
List of people from Ohio — The following is a list of famous people born in Ohio and people who spent significant periods of their lives living in Ohio.Journalists, Photojournalists, Writers, Cartoonists, Poets, Authors, Playwrights, Screen Writers, Film Directors, Film… … Wikipedia
Jackson Browne — Infobox musical artist 2 Name = Jackson Browne Img capt = Jackson Browne on stage at a John Edwards rally Background = khaki Birth name = Clyde Jackson Browne Alias = Born = birth date and age|1948|10|9 Heidelberg, Germany Died = Origin =… … Wikipedia
CounterPunch — This article is about the newsletter. For other uses, see Counterpunch. Editors Alexander Cockburn Jeffrey St. Clair Staff writers Frank Bardacke, Daniel Burton Rose, Andrew Cockburn, Laura Flande … Wikipedia
Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station — Oyster Creek Nuclear Plant in 1998, at the time it was owned operated by GPU … Wikipedia
Clamshell Alliance — The Clamshell Alliance is an anti nuclear organization co founded by Paul Gunter, Howie Hawkins, Harvey Wasserman, Guy Chichester and other activists in 1976. The alliance s coalescence began in 1975 as New England activists and organizations… … Wikipedia
CounterPunch — Специализация: политический журнал Периодичность: 2 раза в месяц Язык: английский Адрес редакции: Петролиа Главный редактор: Александер Кокбёрн Джеффри Сент Клэр … Википедия
Kent State shootings — Infobox civilian attack title = Kent State shootings caption = John Filo s iconic Pulitzer Prize winning photograph of Mary Ann Vecchio, a fourteen year old runaway, kneeling over the dead body of Jeffrey Miller after he was shot by the National… … Wikipedia
Martin Sheen — in 2008 Born Ramón Antonio Gerard Estévez August 3, 1940 (1940 08 03) (age 71) Dayton, Ohio … Wikipedia