- Dobu Island
The people of Dobu were the subject of a seminal anthropological study by Reo Fortune. He described the Dobuan character as "paranoid", obsessed with black magic, and as having extremely unusual attitudes toward sex and violence.
Fortune's analysis was significantly challenged by Susanne Kuehling in her 2005 title Dobu: Ethics of Exchange on a Massim Island, Papua New Guinea. In particular, Kuehling's interest lies at the intersection of ethics and personal conduct.
- ^ Ann Chowning, review of Fortune's Sorcerers of Dobu, American Anthropologist, New Series, Vol. 66, No. 2 (Apr., 1964), pp. 455-457
- Benedict, Ruth (1934). Patterns of Culture. New York: Houghton Mifflin.
- Fortune, Reo (1963). Sorcerers of Dobu: the social anthropology of the Dobu Islanders of the Western Pacific. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Kuehling, Susan (2005). Dobu: Ethics of Exchange on a Massim Island, Papua New Guinea. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
- George Brown, Melanesians and Polynesians, their life-histories described and compared, Published 1910 by Macmillan and co. Ltd., London - Open Library
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dobu Island — Dobu ist eine kleine Insel der D Entrecasteaux Inseln vor Papua Neuguinea. Sie liegt südlich der Insel Fergusson und nördlich der Insel Normanby. Literatur Die Kultur der Bewohner wurde durch Reo Fortune beschrieben. Reo Fortune: The Social… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Normanby Island (Papua New Guinea) — Normanby Topographic map of Normanby Island … Wikipedia
Nissan Island —  Green Islands seen from space. Oval shaped Nissan Island is clearly visible in the center. Nissan Island (also Green Island) is the largest of the Green Islands of Papua New Guinea. It is located at … Wikipedia
Manus Island — Manus Admiralty Islands … Wikipedia
New Ireland (island) — For the political strategy of the Provisional IRA and Sinn Féin meaning New Ireland in English, see Éire Nua. New Ireland Native name: Niu Ailan New Ireland s main towns and nearby islands … Wikipedia
Misima Island — Location within Louisiade Archipelago Misima Island from space … Wikipedia
Woodlark Island — Woodlark Native name: Muyua, Muyuw Woodlark Islands … Wikipedia
Lihir Island — Lihir Native name: Niolam NASA Space Shuttle image of Lihir Island … Wikipedia
Daru Island — from space … Wikipedia
Mailu Island — Central Province Papua New Guinea … Wikipedia