Nerul — suburb —
in Mumbai and India
Coordinates Coordinates: Country India State Maharashtra District(s) Thane (Navi Mumbai) Assembly constituency Nerul Population 600,000 Time zone IST (UTC+05:30)
Nerul (Marathi: नेरूळ) is an upmarket residential and commercial node of the city of Navi Mumbai in Maharashtra, India and is better known as the 'queen' of Navi Mumbai. It has 50 sectors. It is the biggest and the most populated residential node (by area) in the city of Navi Mumbai. Nerul along with Seawoods Darave makes it the second most developed zone of Navi Mumbai after Vashi. The estimated population of Nerul is around 600,000.
Nerul is the second most developed node by CIDCO in the city.
It is home to many educational institutes like
- TRAINING SHIP CHANAKYA,Premier government institute in Merchant Navy(Pre Sea Training),Karave,Nerul
- D.A.V Public School, Nerul
- Pad. Dr D Y Patil College of Physiotherapy, Nerul
- Dr. D Y Patil College of Hospitality and Tourism studies,
- Dr D Y Patil College of Nursing
- Dr D Y Patil College of Law
- Dr D Y Patil college of Ayurveda and Hospital
- Dr. D Y Patil College of Education
- SIES Graduate School of Technology
- Academy of Art & Design
- Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology,
- Terna Engineering College,
- Terna Medical College
- Dr. D. Y. Patil Medical College,
- SIES College of Management Studies,
- Dr. DY Patil College of Architecture,
- Mahatma Gandhi Mission's MGM's High School/Law/Science College and Vocation Course College,
- Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology,
- Dr. D. Y. Patil Dental College,
- Apeejay School,Nerul.
- Podar International school, Nerul
- Delhi Public School,
- St. Augustine's High School,
- St Xavier's High School and Junior College of Science, Sec - 3
- Sterling Institute of Management Studies
- Sterling Institute of Pharmacy
- Sterling College,
- Presentation School,
- S.B.O.A. School,Nerul
- School for Blind and Deaf, Nerul
- Ryan International School,
- Nutan Marathi Vidyalaya sector 19A
Temples, Churches and Masjids in Nerul
Nerul is also known for its hillock Brahmagiri that houses the Mata Amritanandamayi Math, Balaji Temple, Swaminarayan Temple and the Little Flower Church.
Following are the temples situated at Nerul:
- Shi Jhulelal Mandir, Sector - 12 (Near Sarsole bus depot), Nerul (West)
- Shree Ganesh Mandir --- in front of entrance of Aayappa Mandir Sec-17.
- Dand Maruti Jagrut Hanuman Mandir, Sector-9 : Jagrut Hanuman Mandir is one of the oldest temple in NERUL (EAST) when Nerul Township started its development.
- Sai Baba Mandir, Sector-3
- Sankat Mochan Hanuman Mandir, Sector - 3.
- Jai Ambe Mata Mandir, Sector - 15
- GaonDevi Mandir , Sector - 12
- Shree Ganesh Mandir, Opp. Gaon Devi Mandir,Phase -2
- Kapil Vastu Buddha Vihar , sector 10.
- Buddha Vihar, Sector-11
- Balaji Temple at Brahmagiri, Sector 20.
- Shree Hanuman Mandir, Nerul Gaon.
- Shree Durga Mandir , Sector - 20, Opp. Nerul(W) Rly Stn.,
- Swaminarayanan Temple at Brahmagiri, Sector 20.
- Temple inside Mata Amritanandamayi Math at Brahmagiri, Sector 20.
- Shiv Mandir inside Narayanaguru Complex at Brahmagiri, Sector 20.
- Shiv Shambho Mandir at Sector 18.
- Ayyapa Mandir near Army Colony.
- Shaneeshwar Mandir adjacent to Army Colony.
- Hanuman/Anjaneyar Mandir inside SIES Complex.
- Kamakshi Amman Mandir inside SIES Complex.
- Adisankarar mandap inside SIES Complex.
- Shiv Mandir inside Bhimashankar Housing Society.Sector 19A 
- Kant Maharaz Darshan Darbar,Sector 6
- Lord Murugan Temple near Nerul East BEST Bus stand (Proposed)
There are in all five Churches in Nerul:
- Immanuel Mar Thoma Church, Nerul
- Little Flower Church, Brahmagiri Sector 20 (Syro Malankara Catholic)
- St. Xavier's Church, Next to St. Xavier's School and Jr. College (Syro Malabar Catholic)
- Our Lady of the Visitation Church, Sector 42A - Near Don Bosco High School (Latin Roman Catholic)
- The Epworth Methodist Tamil Church, Sector 12 Parul
- The Epworth Methodist English Church, Sector 12, Nerul West
Following are the Masjids situated at Nerul:
- Jama Masjid managed by Hidaytul Islam Trust located in Sector 15. This masjid is 'markaz' for tabligh jamaat in New mumbai.
- Habib Manzil located in Sector 10
- Masjid-e-Baiturrahman, Dreams Horizon located in Sector 23
- Landmark Masjid in Landmark Society, Sector 23
- Masjid-e-Umar managed by Hidaytul Islam Trust in Nerul Burial ground
- Masjid-e-Bilal in Sector 44
- Riyaz Palace Masjid in Shiravane village
A major part of the Palm Beach Marg passes through Nerul. Palm Beach Road is connected Perpendicular to the Rajiv Gandhi Bridge in Nerul which is Further connected to the Mumbai Pune Highway.
The township, like the rest of Navi Mumbai, is divided into sectors, which are further divided into plots. As such, the address system is more organized, and the township easy to navigate compared to Mumbai. Nerul, being a planned township, features roads that intersect at right angles. LED displays on traffic signals count down to the toggle between red and green for better traffic flow efficiency.
Autorickshaws provide the primary means of personal local transportation. Travelling to other nodes by autorickshaw usually entails the payment of one-and-a-half times the regular meter fare, or some other negotiated fare hike.
Nerul Railway Station  and shopping complex have taxicabs operating from designated taxi stands provide the means to travel further to destinations such as Mumbai and Thane; a bridge toll may be charged in addition, where applicable. Luxury and standard long-distance bus services often stop at Vashi en route to other cities and towns across the country.However one has to thing twice before braoding a train from Nerul to town. The trains are very jam packed during peak hours
The red NMMT public buses , Red and Cream BEST (BrihanMumbai Electric Supply and Transport) which are numbered 500 to 599 (connecting Mumbai and Navi Mumbai) and ST public buses serve as a much cheaper means of transportation. Buses starting from or passing through Nerul own bus depot allow passengers direct and fast passage to destinations across Mumbai and Navi Mumbai. Some Mumbai-nerul routes, however, drop in frequency or stop altogether at night. Starting in late 2005, new modern bus stands with seating were constructed at most bus stops across Nerul and Navi Mumbai. The route numbers for some important bus destinations that can be reached from Nerul
- 1, 4, 8, 11,27,34 - Thane
- 20- KoparKhairane
- 502 - Wadala Depot, Dadar T.T., Sion, Shivaji Nagar Junction, Vashi Bus Stn, Jui Nagar STn (E), Nerul Stn (E)
- 506 - Nerul, Sanpada Stn, Vashi, Mankhurd Stn (N), Chembur Colony, Sion, Dadar TT, Jijamata Udyaan.
- 507- Nerul-APMC-Vashi-Mankhurd-Govandi-Ghatkopar-Kamani-Air India Colony- Vakola-Santacruz(E)Rly Stn.
- 511 - Nerul, Vashi, Shivaji Nagar Junction, Ghatkopar Depot, Bhandup (W), Mulund (W).
- 512,- Nerul, Turbhe Naka, Vashi Bus Stn, Kopar Khairane, Airoli, Mulund (W)
- AS 512 Mulund (Aircondioned Best) Nerul, Turbhe Naka, Vashi Bus Stn, Kopar Khairane, Airoli, Mulund (W)
- 123 Borivali (Aircondioned NMMT)
Nerul is connected to Mumbai by rail on the Harbour line of the Central Railway, part of the Mumbai suburban railway. Travelling to destinations in Mumbai by rail often involves taking a train to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus first. Another rail link connects Nerul to Thane (see Transport in Thane). Nerul is the only node in Navi Mumbai to have two stations.i.e., Nerul and Seawoods - Darave  Stations. Plans show that it will also get a third railway station on the Nerul-Uran route called as Sagar Sangam Railway Station.
Nerul used to have near continuous power supply. As of late 2005, however, one to two hours a day of scheduled load shedding has been enforced by MSEB, cycling among various areas of the city, in order to cope with the rising population and power consumption. By 2007, it is to 1.5 hours daily power outages.Load shedding was stopped in 2008 when tata power started supplying power.
The water supply is near constant for 10–11 months annually and the month of May has peak shortages. Occasional shut downs are often short enough to be borne through by the overhead water tanks in many apartments and the central water tower system.
Road maintenance is carried out by the NMMC. Roads in the township are generally of good quality, but often get damaged by the monsoons, as potholes are simply patched up. Maintenance of open spaces too is sadly lacking, with most open spaces resembling piles of rubble.
Broadband is available in NERUL from YOU BROADBAND, Tata Indicom, Sify and the MTNL telecommunications companies. YOU Broadband has some of the best available broadband plans at affordable rates. Even though broadband is available, there are frequent breakdowns in the network, due to lack of proper maintenance and poorly trained staff.
Mobile users are huge here as result the mobile operators here are Aircel Vodafone, Dolphin, Airtel, Reliance, Tata, Loop Mobile, Idea, Garuda, Mtnl,Videocon & Virgin Mobile.
Restaurants and entertainment
Nerul has cafe shops such as Cafe Coffee Day,"V' Lounge, The Cross Cafe ,Temperature , Cafe In, Rabz Den Cafe and Vapor Lounge. Pizza Shops include Dominos, Smokin Joes, Smokin Pizza, etc. Big restaurants include Rangoli hotel, Tirupati Prasad, Shivam, Satkar, Dwarka, Bombay High, Nerul Gym-Khaana, Shangai,etc. Ice-cream Parlours include Naturals, Baskin Robbins, Dinshaws Melting Magic Ice Cream Parlour, HM KHOSLA etc. Nerul is also well known for its sweet shops such as Bikaner Sweets,Om sweets,Anand Sweets,Balaji Sweets,Jhama, Chaudhari Mishtan,Chandu Halwai & Raj Diary. Nerul also has a good place for hangout known as saguna baug. Dosa Plaza  also has introduced its outlet here in Nerul. Recently Jumbo King opened its outlet here. Cake Shop includes Ribbons & Balloons,Crossiants, Monginis, The Cake Factory, and Baker Street "Kings Electronics" is the largest Electronic Mall in Navi Mumbai.
Just Books Clc,the famous Bangalore based Library, has opened its first Mumbai outlet in Nerul. JustBooks houses a collection of more than 10000 books of different genre.
Nerul also has a pub called "Ice n Spice" which has a casino.
"Zapak" Gameplex for gamers has been recently introduced here.
A good hangout for all the pilgims, worshippers etc. is the balaji hill near nerul rly station. There is a church, a temple cum centre of "Sri Narayana Guru" & a similar one of "Mata Amritanandamayi", a Jain Temple & the famous Balaji temple. the hill provides a very gorgeous view of west side of nerul. The pictures of the same are provided above.
There are many places to have chaat in nerul.most of these are the sweet cum chaat shops but named as sweets(for eg:OM sweets,Bikaner sweeets,Jhama sweeets,etc).Almost all evenings one can find a very large crowd(people returning home from office, college students on their way back and school kids) around the panipuri/bhelpuri stall at these places.The menu also includes other popular dishAnyes such as "Ragada Pattice" "Sev Puri" "Dahi Puri" and of course "Wada Pav" and "Samosa Pav".
Besides "Chaat" another popular snacks for Nerulites is the sandwich and there are several sandwich stalls around the Station area on the east side for it.
Car and bike showrooms
Nerul has Maximum carshowrooms of Navi Mumbai
- Tata- Fortune.
- Hero Honda-Spectra
- Hero Ultra-Bhavna
- Skoda Auto -JMD Auto
- Kinetic - Laksmi Auto World
- Royal Enfield
- YO Bike
Nerul is known for its sports compelex. Nerul has a cricket stadium called DY Patil Stadium. The finals IPL of 2010 was conducted at Dr. D. Y. Patil Stadium. The finals began after Shahid Kapoor's Dance. It will also get an Olympic size swimming pool. The upcoming golf course is also situated in Nerul.[[ There is also Nerul Gymkhana with lots of facilities for sports.
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0342494&lon=73.0118215&z=14&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0334989&lon=73.0182481&z=17&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0218247&lon=73.0188811&z=17&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0421906&lon=73.0221373&z=18&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0327483&lon=73.0175936&z=18&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0267338&lon=73.015185&z=17&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0437524&lon=73.0094719&z=18&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ "Dosa Plaza". www.dosaplaza.com. http://www.dosaplaza.com/.
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0437017&lon=73.0095631&z=18&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0376876&lon=73.0302644&z=17&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0356997&lon=73.0306292&z=17&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0351115&lon=73.0303073&z=17&l=0&m=s&v=9
- ^ http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.0401216&lon=73.0264878&z=17&l=0&m=s&v=9
Links to related articles Mumbai metropolitan area South Mumbai
NeigbourhoodsColaba · Parel · Elephanta Island · Fort · Dadar · Mahim · Mahalaxmi · Carmichael Road · Altamount Road · Kemps Corner · Marine Lines · Churchgate · Charni Road · Prabhadevi · Nariman Point · Navy Nagar · Tardeo · Girgaon · Kalbadevi · Worli · Cuffe Parade · Malabar Hill · Byculla · Chinchpokli · Wadala · Walkeshwar · Kala Ghoda · Kotachiwadi · Elphinstone Road · Sewri · Dadabhai Naoroji Road · Apollo Bunder · Mazagaon
East Mumbai Suburban
West Mumbai Suburban
Mira-Bhayandar Kalyan-Dombivali Vasai-Virar Bhiwandi-NizampurBhiwandi · Nizampur Ulhasnagar Municipal Councils Nerul Next station south:
Mumbai Suburban Railway : Harbour Line Next station north:
Stop No: 19 KM from starting: 34 km Platforms: 6(4 Functional) Stations on the Harbour Line of Mumbai Suburban Railway C.S.T - Andheri Route C.S.T - Panvel RouteChatrapati Shivaji Terminus · Masjid · Sandhurst Road · Dockyard Road · Reay Road · Cotton Green · Sewri · Vadala Road · Guru Tegh Bahadur Nagar · Chunabhatti · Kurla · Tilak Nagar · Chembur · Govandi · Mankhurd · Vashi · Sanpada · Juinagar · Nerul · Seawoods · C.B.D. Belapur · Khargar · Mansarovar · Khandeshwar · Panvel Thane - Vashi Route Thane - Nerul Route Navi Mumbai GeographyKarave Lake · Sagar Vihar · Sarovar Vihar · Nerul Lake · Alibaug Beach · Kashid Beach · Parsik Hill TemplesBalaji · Shaneshawara · Murgan · Sai Baba · Swami Narayan · Amirtandamayi · Narayan Guru · Ayyapa · Jhulelal Sports associationsNavi Mumbai Sports Association, Vashi · Nerul Gymkhaana, Nerul · Vazirani Sports Club, Nerul · Merchants Gym Club, Vashi · DY Patil Sports Club · YMCA, Belapur EntertainmentMegharj, Vashi · Meghdut Vashi · Adlabs · Cinemax · Fame · Oracle Fun Square · Vishnudas BhaveUpcomingInox, Nerul · PVR, Vashi Major roadsPalm Beach Road · Thane Belapur · Sion-Panvel Highway · Uran-Nerul link road (URAN Phata) · Rajiv Gandhi Bridge, Nerul · London Pilsner, Nerul Business districts ShoppingCenter One, Vashi · Palm Beach Galleria, Vashi · Citi Center, Vashi · Raghuleela Mall, Vashi · Dmart, Nerul · Sahakar Bhandar, Nerul · DMart, Kopar Khairane · Fountain Square, Kharghar · Little World, Kharghar · InOrbit, VashiUnder construction mallsCenturion Mall & Multiplex, Nerul · Full Stop, Nerul · Fantasia, Vashi · Glomax, Kharghar · Bhoomi Mall, Belapur · Turning Point, Nerul · Infocity Mall, Nerul · BuildingsCommodity Exchange, APMC · Nerul Railway Station · Vashi Railway Station · CBD Belapur Station · BSEL Tech Park · Maithili IT park · Great Eastern Galleria, Nerul · Vishwaroop IT Park · Microtech Park · MK Shah IT Park, Nerul · ITC Fortune Hotel, Vashi · Hotel Sheraton, Vashi Large structuresDY Patil Stadium · Utsav Chowk · Shivaji Chowk · Urban HaatUnder construction
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nerul Serene — (Nerul,Индия) Категория отеля: Адрес: Bhatti wado Nerul, 403515 Nerul, Индия … Каталог отелей
Nerul Balaji Temple, Maharashtra — Balaji Temple Rajagopuram Nerul, Navi Mumbai … Wikipedia
Apeejay School Nerul — Infobox Secondary school name = Apeejay School, Nerul motto= Soaring High is my Nature type = Private grades = Nursery–12 established= 1986 city = Navi Mumbai state = Maharashtra country = India enrollment = mascot = Falcon colors = principal =… … Wikipedia
DAV Public School Nerul — Coordinates: 19°00′47″N 73°00′55″E / 19.013013°N 73.015141°E / 19.013013; 73.015141 … Wikipedia
SIES Nerul — SIES (Nerul) College of Arts, Science Commerce popularly called SIES Nerul is a multi disciplinary college in Nerul, Navi Mumbai … Wikipedia
Navi Mumbai — New Bombay redirects here. For other uses, see Bombay (disambiguation). Navi Mumbai नवी मुंबई City of the 21st Century city … Wikipedia
Education in Navi Mumbai — Navi Mumbai is one of the good educational cities in India. Each node is now self sufficient in quality education facilities. About 22.5 per cent of the total population is school going and no adequate provision is made to absorb it in each node … Wikipedia
Seawoods — Integrated Complex at Seawoods Railway Station Seawood Railway Station and Retail/Commercial Development Former names Seawoods Railway Station General information … Wikipedia
Seawoods - Darave Station — infobox building building name = Seawood Railway Station native building name= caption = Upcoming Seawood Railway Station former names = map type = building type = Railway Station architectural style = structural system = structural system = cost … Wikipedia
Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport — NMMT Bus Service Parent Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation Founded 23rd January 1996 Headquarters Navi Mumbai Locale … Wikipedia