- Wendy Cope
Wendy Cope (born on
21 July, 1945in Erith) is an award-winning contemporary English poet. She was educated at Farringtons School and went on to read history at St Hilda's College, Oxford. She now lives in Winchesterwith the poet Lachlan Mackinnon.
Following graduating from St Hilda's College Wendy spent fifteen years as a primary-school teacher. In 1981 she became Arts and Reviews editor for the Inner London Education Authority magazine- Contact. Fiver years later she became a freelance writer and was a television critic for
The Spectatormagazine until 1990.
Three books of her poetry have been published ("Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis" in 1986, "Serious Concerns" in 1992 and "If I Don't Know" in 2001), and she has edited several anthologies of comic verse.
In 1998 she was voted the listeners' choice in a
BBC Radio 4poll to succeed Ted Hughesas Poet Laureate. She was a judge of the 2007 Man Booker prize.
Her portrait was painted by Peter Edwards. [ [http://www.peteredwards.net/main.htm Peter Edwards, Portrait Artist, Fine Art, National Portrait Gallery] peteredwards.net]
Despite her slight output, her books have sold well and she has attracted a popular following with her lighthearted, often comical poetry, as well as achieving literary credibility winning two awards and making an award shortlist over a fourteen year period.
She has a keen eye for the everyday, mundane aspects of English life, especially the desires, frustrations, hopes, confusions and emotions in intimate relationships. The bathetic aspect to her work has led to comparisons with
Rowan Williamsis a well known fan of her work, writing that: "Wendy Cope is without doubt the wittiest of contemporary English poets, and says a lot of extremely serious things". [" [http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singleTour.do?tourId=7758 "poetryarchive.org"] " A Tour of the Archive with Dr Rowan Williams]
tyle of Poetry
Some of her poems are written in the persona of a struggling male poet, Jason Strugnell, a slightly seedy figure from
Tulse Hill. She displays her talent for parodywith targets ranging from the sonnets of Sir Philip Sidney:
My true love hath my heart and I have hers We swapped last Tuesday and felt quite elated But now whenever one of us refers To 'my heart' things get rather complicated.
T. S. Eliot's " The Waste Land" to limericks:
In April one seldom feels cheerful; Dry stones, sun and dust make me fearful; Clairvoyants distress me, Commuters depress me— Met Stetson and gave him an earful.
Her style has been compared to that of
John Betjemanand Philip Larkin.
* (1980) "Across the City" [limited edition] (Priapus Press)
* (1984) "Hope and the 42" (Other Branch Readings)
* (1986) "Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis" (
Faber and Faber)
* (1986) "Poem from a Colour Chart of House Paints" [limited edition] (Priapus Press)
* (1988) "Does She Like Word Games?" (
Anvil Press Poetry)
* (1988) "Men and Their Boring Arguments" (Wykeham)
* (1988) "Twiddling Your Thumbs" (Faber and Faber)
* (1989) "Is That the New Moon?" [editor] (
* (1991) "The River Girl" (Faber and Faber)
* (1992) "Serious Concerns" (Faber and Faber)
* (1993) "The Faber Book of Drink, Drinkers and Drinking" [contributor] (Faber and Faber)
* (1993) "The Orchard Book of Funny Poems" [editor] (Orchard)
* (1994) "The Squirrel and the Crow" (Prospero Poets)
* (1995) "Poems 1" [contributor] (Addison Wesley Longman)
* (1996) "Another Day on Your Foot and I Would Have Died" [Contributor] (Macmillan)
* (1996) "Casting a Spell" [contributor] (Faber and Faber)
* (1996) "Marigolds Grow Wild on Platforms: An Anthology of Railway Poetry" [contributor] (Ward Lock)
* (1996) "Over the Moon: Championship Football Poems" [contributor] (Red Fox)
* (1997) "A Draft of XXX Cantos" [contributor] (Faber and Faber)
* (1997) "Dear Future: A Time Capsule of Poems" [contributor] (
Hodder & Stoughton)
* (1997) "Evergreen Verse" [contributor] (Dent)
* (1998) "For All Occasions" [contributor] (Methuen)
* (1998) "Funnybones" [contributor] (CollinsEducational)
* (1998) "Silly Bones" [contributor] (Scholastic)
* (1998) "The Funny Side: 101 Humorous Poems" [editor] (Faber and Faber)
* (1999) "The Epic Poise: A Celebration of Ted Hughes" [contributor] (Faber and Faber)
* (1999) "The Faber Book of Bedtime Stories" [editor] (Faber and Faber)
* (2000) "Big Orchard Book of Funny Poems" [editor] (Orchard)
* (2001) "Heaven on Earth: 101 Happy Poems" [editor] (Faber and Faber)
* (2001) "If I Don't Know" (Faber and Faber)
* (2002) "Is That The New Moon?: Poems by Women Poets" [selector] (Collins)
* (2003) "George Herbert: Verse and Prose" [selector and introduction] (SPCK)
* (2008) "Two Cures for Love: Selected Poems 1979-2006" (Faber and Faber)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wendy Cope — (* 21. Juli, 1945 in Erith, Großbritannien) ist eine zeitgenössische britische Dichterin. Zur Zeit lebt sie in zusammen mit dem Dichter Lachlan Mackinnon in Winchester. Bis zum heutigen Zeitpunkt hat sie drei Gedichtbände herausgegeben (Making… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cope (surname) — Cope is a surname, and may refer to Arthur C. Cope, American chemist Charles West Cope, English artist Daniel Cope, Australian Scholar Davey Cope, (1877–1898), South African rugby union player David Cope, artificial intelligence and music… … Wikipedia
Cope — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Arthur C. Cope (1909–1966), US amerikanischer Chemiker Edward Drinker Cope (1840–1897), US amerikanischer Biologe Elizabeth Frances Cope (1902–1982), US amerikanische Mathematikerin Frank Cope (1910–1990) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cope, Wendy — (1945 ) Born in Erith, Kent, and educated at Farringtrons School in Chislehurst, Kent, she read history at St. Hilda s College, Oxford, trained as a teacher at Westminster College of Education, Oxford, and taught in primary schools in London.… … British and Irish poets
Liste der Biografien/Coo–Coq — Biografien: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q … Deutsch Wikipedia
literature — /lit euhr euh cheuhr, choor , li treuh /, n. 1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays. 2.… … Universalium
Kay Ryan — Infobox Writer name = Kay Ryan imagesize = 180px birthdate = Birth year and age|1945 birthplace = San Jose, California, USA occupation = Poet, educator nationality = United States period = 1970s present genre = subject = movement = notableworks … Wikipedia
Light Quarterly — Light: A Quarterly of Light Verse , published in Chicago since 1992 by founding editor John Mella, bills itself as the only magazine available in [the U.S.] devoted exclusively to Light Verse. The verse in each issue begins with a several page… … Wikipedia
Liste Schriftsteller (international) — Hier finden Sie eine Liste bekannter Dichter und Schriftsteller – bitte Kurzbeschreibungen, die eine Zeile nicht überschreiten, ergänzen. (Nicht verlinkte Personen bitte nötigenfalls in die Liste der Autoren eintragen.) A Ivar Aasen (1813–1896),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Liste der Autoren/C — Liste der Autoren A B C D E F G H I J K L M N … Deutsch Wikipedia