The O'Mahonys were Cenél nÁeda princes of the ancient Eóganacht Raithlind. They were also for a period kings of Munster and Desmond, and take their name from Mathgamain, son of Cian, son of Máel Muad mac Brain, King of Munster from around 960 to 970, and then again from 976 to 978. From 970 to 976 he was king of Desmond. His son Cian became a close ally of Brian Bóruma and married his daughter Sadb. From this marriage descend the O'Mahonys.
- Bernard O'Mahoney, crime author
- Bertha Mahony, children's literature specialist
- Charles Mahoney, Irish Franciscan martyr
- Cynthia L. Mahoney, Episcopalian nun and former chaplain in New York City, present at "Ground Zero"
- Dan Mahoney, Irish-American journalist investigated by Joseph McCarthy
- Daniel O'Mahony, author
- Darragh O'Mahony, rugby player
- Dennis Mahony, newspaper founder
- Dermot O'Mahony, Irish politician and farmer
- Duncan O'Mahony, Canadian footballer
- Eugene O'Mahoney, Irish museum curator and entomologist
- Flor O'Mahony, Irish politician
- Francis Sylvester Mahony, Irish humorist
- Frank P. Mahony, Australian artist
- George P. Mahoney, Catholic politician from Maryland
- J. Daniel Mahoney, U.S. judge and founder of the Conservative Party
- Jeremiah Mahoney, Medal of Honor recipient from the American Civil War
- Joan Mahoney, American law professor
- Jock Mahoney, American actor and stuntman
- John O'Mahony, scholar and founder of the Fenian Brotherhood
- John O'Mahony (Mayo politician)
- John Keefer Mahony, Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Joseph C. O'Mahoney, United States Senator from Wyoming
- Marion Mahony Griffin, American architect and artist
- Martin Mahoney, Minnesota justice of the peace
- Maureen Mahoney, appellate lawyer
- Patrick Mahoney, Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Patrick Morgan Mahoney, PC, Canadian judge, politician, lawyer and businessman
- Paul Mahoney, American law professor
- Paul J. Mahoney, British jurist, Judge and President of European Union Civil Service Tribunal
- Pierce Charles de Lacy O'Mahony, Irish Protestant Nationalist, philanthropist, politician and MP
- Richard Mahoney, Canadian lawyer
- Richard Mahoney (Arizona politician)
- Roger Mahony, American Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Rosemary Mahoney, American writer of non-fiction narrative
- Seán O'Mahony, Irish politician
- Steve Mahoney, Canadian politician
- Thomas O'Mahony, politician
- Walter J. Mahoney, American lawyer and politician
- William Mahony (Australian politician)
- William B. Mahoney, U.S. journalist and substance-abuse counselor
- Flying machines and equations
- Other Munster families
- Byrne, Francis J., Irish Kings and High-Kings. Four Courts Press. 2nd edition, 2001.
- Charles-Edwards, Thomas M., Early Christian Ireland. Cambridge University Press. 2000.
- MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families: Their Names, Arms and Origins. Irish Academic Press. 4th edition, 1998.
- O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigrees. Dublin: James Duffy and Co. 5th edition, 1892.
- Todd, James Henthorn (ed. and tr.), Cogadh Gaedhel re Gallaibh: The War of the Gaedhil with the Gaill. Longmans. 1867. (pedigree: pg. 248)
This page or section lists people with the surname O'Mahony. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Mahony — may refer to : Bertha Mahony (1882–1969), children’s literature publisher Chris Mahony (born 1981) New Zealand rugby union player Dennis Mahony (1821–1879), Irish Aamerican journalist and politician Eoghan Mahony, American television writer… … Wikipedia
Mahony & Zvosec — Mahony Zvosec, Architects Planners was an American architectural practice based in Princeton, New Jersey, active in the mid to late twentieth century Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. It was established in 1967 by Leo Halpin … Wikipedia
Mahony — bzw. O’Mahony ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Pierce Charles de Lacy O’Mahony (1850–1930), irischer Politiker und Philanthrop Roger Michael Mahony (* 1936), Kardinal und Erzbischof von Los Angeles Siehe auch: Mahoney O’Mahony … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mahony, Ven. Charles — • Irish Franciscan priest who was executed at Ruthin in Wales in 1679. Short article includes a statement by the martyr Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006 … Catholic encyclopedia
Mahony — This noble and distinguished surname, found almost exclusively in West Munster, is an Anglicized form of the Old Gaelic O Mathghamhana (Modern Gaelic O Mathuna ), descendant of Mathghamhain, a male given name meaning Bear . Traditionally, Irish… … Surnames reference
Mahony, Francis Sylvester — (1804 1866) Born in Camden Quay, Cork, his parents had a woolen business in Glanmire and subsequently in Blarney. He studied at the Jesuit College at Clongowes Wood, County Kildare, and at later in France and Italy, where for two years he… … British and Irish poets
MAHONY, Francis Prout (1862-1916) — generally known as Frank Mahony artist was born at Melbourne on 4 December 1862. He was taken to Sydney when 10 years old and studied at the Academy of Art. His work was accepted by the Bulletin and he became known for his excellent drawings of… … Dictionary of Australian Biography
MAHONY, FRANCIS — an Irish priest, born in Cork, who took to journalism, and is known by his nom de plume of Father Prout; contributed to Fraser s Magazine, and was foreign correspondent to the Daily News and the Globe; was famous for his elegant translations… … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Mahony, Francis Sylvester (Father Prout) — (1804 1866) Humorist, b. at Cork, and ed. at the Jesuit Coll. at Clongoweswood, Co. Kildare, at Amiens, and at Rome, becoming a member of the society, was Prof. of Rhetoric at Clongoweswood, but was soon after expelled from the order. He then… … Short biographical dictionary of English literature
Mahony — /ˈmani/ (say mahnee) noun Frank, 1862–1916, Australian painter, illustrator and teacher; noted for his paintings of outback subjects … Australian-English dictionary
Roger Mahony — His Eminence Roger Michael Mahony Cardinal Archbishop Emeritus of Los Angeles … Wikipedia