The Bjurum manor, also known as "Stora Bjurum" ("Stora Bjurum herrgård" in Swedish) is a Swedish manor located in
Västergötland. It is one of the largest in the country.
Renowned lake Hornborgasjön is located in the manor's lands. The
Falköpingtown is some 11 kilometers south from Bjurum. Earlier the manor contained the area of a whole parish, now some 2500 hectares. It has a long history as an established entity, starting from Middle Ages.
In 18th century, the main building was made of stone, so it is a veritable castle, following architecturally a historical style, drawn by
The vast manorial property was apparently collected by the early members of the so-called Gumsehuvud noble family. It went extinct finally in 1486 upon the death of Lord Gustav Karlsson of Bjurum, but his sister's family had already earlier inherited a right to the manor. That sister happened to have been Sweden's
queen consortin 1448-50. Her daughter, Princess Magdalena of Gotland(1455-95), widow of Lord Iver Thott, was the next owner. Being without own surviving children, she ceded the property in 1491 to her niece lady Kerstin Eriksdatter Gyldenstierne, a half-Danish, surpassing all her brothers. Lady Kerstin was married with lord Hans Aagesen Thott, another Danish-born nobleman. The couple's son Lord Åke Hansson Tott, marshal of Sweden and called as Denmark's scourge (as brave soldier, he conquered the Danish troops all too often), was the next owner, but he was executed in 1510 by king of Denmark. Through his sister, the manor passed to the family of Soop. Mathias Soop and Gustav Soop, Finnish barons of Liminka, were one of richest Scandinavian noblemen in 17th century.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.