- Dick James
Dick James (12 December 1920 – 1 February 1986), born Reginald Leon Isaac Vapnick, was a music publisher and the founder of the DJM record label and recording studios, as well as (with Brian Epstein) The Beatles' publisher Northern Songs.
James sang with North London dance bands in his early teens, and was a regular vocalist at the Cricklewood Palais by the age of seventeen. He joined the Henry Hall band, and made first radio broadcast in 1940. Joining the Army in 1942, after World War II he continued to sing with top post-war bands, including Geraldo's. Later still, James was also a part time member of The Stargazers, a popular early 1950s vocal group.
He was the singer of the theme songs of The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Buccaneers, from British television in the 1950s, and was a friend and associate of renowned record producer George Martin.
Switch to publishing
James entered the music publishing business as his singing career tapered off. In early 1963 he was contacted by Brian Epstein who was looking for a publisher for the second Beatles single Please Please Me and agreed an appointment for 11am the following morning. Having arranged a previous meeting at 10am Epstein left in disgust at 10.25 when the executive he was due to meet failed to appear and arrived at James's office at 10.40. Apologising to her for being early and despite offering to wait until 11.00 the receptionist contacted James who promptly ushered Epstein into his office. Having heard the record and telling Epstein it was a number one James was invited by Epstein to publish and promote it. James then called Philip Jones, producer of the TV show Thank Your Lucky Stars, played the record down the phone to him and secured the band's first nationwide television appearance. The pair subsequently established Northern Songs Ltd., with Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney, to publish Lennon and McCartney's original songs. (Fellow Beatles George Harrison and Ringo Starr were also signed to Northern Songs as songwriters, but did not renew their contracts in 1968). James's company, Dick James Music, administered Northern Songs.
What initially began as an amicable working relationship between the Beatles and James disintegrated by the late 1960s; the Beatles considered that James had betrayed and taken advantage of them when he sold Northern Songs in 1969 without offering the band an opportunity to buy control of the publishing company. James profited handsomely from the sale of Northern Songs, but the Beatles never again had the rights to their own songs.
James signed Elton John and his lyricist Bernie Taupin as untried unknowns in 1967, and formed DJM Records in '69. Indeed, all of John's early releases (up to 1976) were issued on the DJM record label. The label also carried Jasper Carrott, RAH Band and even John Inman.
John formed his own Rocket label in 1976, but in 1982, John was involved in a long court case with James about royalties. In June 1985, the British music magazine, NME, reported that John was suing James over the rights to his earlier material.
British chart hits
- "Robin Hood" / "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" - (1956) - Number 14
- "Garden of Eden" - (1957) - Number 18
- James was parodied in the film All You Need Is Cash as "Dick Jaws."
- ^ fscwv.edu
- ^ chartwatch.co.uk Retrieved: 8 August 2007
- ^ Tobler, John (1992). NME Rock 'N' Roll Years (1st ed.). London: Reed International Books Ltd. p. 23. CN 5585.
- ^ Coleman, Ray (1990). Brian Epstein - The Man Who Made The Beatles. London: Penguin. p. 118.
- ^ Tobler, John (1992). NME Rock 'N' Roll Years (1st ed.). London: Reed International Books Ltd. p. 117. CN 5585.
- ^ Spitz 2005. p365
- ^ Harry 2000. p573
- ^ Publishers and Artists contracts Retrieved: 29 January 2007
- ^ Tobler, John (1992). NME Rock 'N' Roll Years (1st ed.). London: Reed International Books Ltd. p. 405. CN 5585.
- ^ Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 278. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Harry, Bill (2000). The Beatles Encyclopedia: Revised and Updated. Virgin Publishing London. ISBN 0753504812.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Spitz, Bob (2005). The Beatles: The Biography. Little, Brown and Company (New York). ISBN 1845131606.
- Dick James at the Internet Movie Database
- 'Robin Hood' song connections webpage
- Detailed website concerning Beatles song rights, including Dick James references
- James mini-biography at the Musicweb site
- beatlesbible.com bio
- Empty Sky
- Elton John
- Tumbleweed Connection
- Madman Across the Water
- Honky Château
- Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
- Rock of the Westies
- Blue Moves
- A Single Man
- Victim of Love
- 21 at 33
- The Fox
- Jump Up!
- Too Low for Zero
- Breaking Hearts
- Ice on Fire
- Leather Jackets
- Reg Strikes Back
- Sleeping with the Past
- The One
- Made in England
- The Big Picture
- Songs from the West Coast
- Peachtree Road
- The Captain & the Kid
- The Union
- Here and There
- Live in Australia with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
- Elton John One Night Only - The Greatest Hits
- Elton 60 - Live at Madison Square Garden
- Greatest Hits
- Greatest Hits Volume II
- The Thom Bell Sessions
- Lady Samantha
- Greatest Hits Vol. 3
- The Complete Thom Bell Sessions
- To Be Continued
- The Very Best of Elton John
- Rare Masters
- Greatest Hits 1976-1986
- Chartbusters Go Pop
- Classic Elton John
- Love Songs
- Greatest Hits 1970-2002
- Elton John's Christmas Party
- Rocket Man: The Definitive Hits
- 1970 World Tour
- Jump Up Tour
- Too Low for Zero Tour
- European Express Tour
- Breaking Hearts Tour
- Ice on Fire Tour
- Tour De Force
- Reg Strikes Back Tour
- Sleeping With The Past Tour
- The One Tour
- Elton John & Ray Cooper 1993/1994 World Tour
- Face to Face 1994
- Elton John & Ray Cooper 1995 Tour
- Face to Face 1995
- Made in England Tour
- Big Picture Tour
- Face to Face 1998
- An Evening with Elton John
- Medusa Tour
- Stately Home Tour
- Face to Face 2001
- Songs from the West Coast Tour
- Face to Face 2002
- A Journey Through Time
- Face to Face 2003
- 2004 Tour
- Peachtree Road Tour
- 2006 European Tour
- The Captain and the Kid Tour
- Rocket Man: Greatest Hits Live
- Face to Face 2009
- Elton John/Ray Cooper 2009-2011 Tour
- Face to Face 2010
- 2010 European Tour
- Greatest Hits Live
- The Red Piano
- The Million Dollar Piano
Video releases Tribute album
- Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin
Musicals Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dick James — (bürgerlicher Name Richard Leon Isaac Vapnick; * 12. Dezember 1920 in London (Whitechapel); † 1. Februar 1986 ebenda) war einer der erfolgreichsten britischen Musikverleger, der die Kompositionen der Beatles verwaltete und als Entdecker von Elton … Deutsch Wikipedia
DICK, JAMES — a West Indian and London merchant, born in Forres; bequeathed £113,787 to encourage learning and efficient teaching among the parish schoolmasters of Elgin, Banff, and Aberdeen shires; it is known as the Dick Bequest, and the property is… … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Dick James (American football) — Dick James No. 47 Halfback Defensive back Personal information Date of bir … Wikipedia
Dick Strawbridge — Born Richard Francis Strawbridge 3 September 1959 (1959 09 03) (age 52) Burma Occupation Broadcaster, engineer, environmentalist Years active 1998–present … Wikipedia
Dick Ricketts — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Dick Ricketts Datos personales Richard James Ricketts Jr. Dick Nacimiento Pottstown, Pennsylvania … Wikipedia Español
Dick Stanfel — No. 63, 60 Guard Personal information Date of birth: July 20, 1927 (1927 07 20) (age 84) Place of birth: San Franc … Wikipedia
James (surname) — James is a surname, and may refer to * A. P. T. James (c1908 1962), better known as Fargo James; Tobagonian politicianmrs james teacher *Alex James (footballer) * Alex James (musician) * Alice James * Anthony James * Art James * B. G. James,… … Wikipedia
Dick Cheney — Portrait de Dick Cheney Mandats 46e vice président des États Unis … Wikipédia en Français
Dick Tracy (serial) — Dick Tracy Directed by Alan James Ray Taylor Produced by Nat Levine J. Laurence Wickland (Associate) … Wikipedia
Dick Liddil — James Andrew Dick Liddil Dick Liddil, undated photograph. Born September 15, 1852(1852 09 15) Jackson County, Missouri, USA … Wikipedia