- BBC Somerset
Infobox Radio Station
name = BBC Somerset
11 April 1988
frequency = 95.5 MHz, 1566 kHz
share = 3.0%
share as of = March 2008
share source = [http://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarterly_listening.php]
format = Local news, talk and music
BBC Local Radio, BBC West
website = [http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio/ BBC Somerset]
BBC Somerset, the new name for BBC Somerset Sound, is the
BBC Local Radioservice for the shire county of Somerset. BBC Radio Bristolserves the northern parts of the ceremonial county of Somerset – Bath and North East Somersetand North Somerset.
11 April 1988, it broadcasts from its studios in Park Street, Tauntonon 95.5 MHz FM and 1566 kHz AM, as well as taking programmes from BBC Radio Bristol, the station that previously had broadcast on BBC Somerset's earlier ill-fated pre-2002 1323 kHz MW frequency.
3 December 2007BBC Somerset could only be received as a whole on MW or on the web. [cite web |url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset |title=BBC Sonmerset |accessdate=2007-12-03 |format= |work=BBC ] However, from this date onwards the service also became available on the former BBC Radio Bristol frequency of 95.5 MHz.
The BBC's Annual Report and Accounts for 2005/2006 [cite web |url=http://www.bbcgovernorsarchive.co.uk/annreport/index.html |title=Annual Report and Accounts for 2005/2006 |accessdate=2007-12-03 |format= |work=BBC ] stated: "The BBC is committed to extending its network of local radio stations to a limited number of under served areas, and BBC management is carrying out preparatory work for new stations in Somerset,
Dorsetand Cheshire.". However, due to the BBCfunding settlement in 2007, it has been decided that BBC Somerset shall remain as a part time 'opt-out' from Radio Bristol, at least in the short term.
BBC Somerset Bus
BBC Somerset got a new mobile radio studio in the shape of a single-decker bus in May 2007. The role of the BBC Somerset Bus across the county includes:
* To bring BBC Somerset out into local communities across the county
* To help to improve what people in county want from their local radio station, and from the BBC in general
* To promote the major BBC campaigns, such as the Reading and Writing project (RaW) and Springwatch and Autumnwatch among many others
* To feedback to the BBC any brickbats and bouquets - from listeners/viewers who might not usually have the chance to comment
* To broadcast live shows from towns and villages around Somerset
Programming for the bus is managed by staff reporter Andrew Enever and the day to day operation and technical support is provided by Liam O'Leary.
Staff at BBC Somerset aim to create the first carbon-zero radio station in the UK in 2007 in an initiative known as The Challenge. [cite web |url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/challenge |title=The Challenge |accessdate=2007-12-03 |format= |work=BBC ]
BBC local radio, online and TV staff based in Taunton have had 'eco-auditors' to look at every aspect of their operation - from the mileage of the transport fleet down to what happens to the office tea bags. [cite web |url=http://www.co2balance.com |title=co2balance.com |accessdate=2007-12-03 |format= |work=co2balance.com ]
According to the auditors, the station – with headquarters in Taunton and a large district studio in
Yeovil– generates more than 64 tonnes of CO2 each year. On hearing the results the staff are voluntarily dipping into their own pockets to fund the three main accredited methods of carbon offsetting – tree planting, sustainable projects and carbon trading. On average the cost to each member of staff will be between £25 and £50, depending on their salary. Now staff are looking at all areas where pollution is generated to reduce the station's carbon footprint and make it more environmentally friendly. These include:
* The fleet of cars for reporters are to be swapped for fuel-efficient vans.
* Even more efficient vehicles will be tested over the next few months.
* Most reporters now use laptops, to work from home, reducing commuter miles.
* Lighting systems are to be replaced with more energy-efficient ones.
* Loft insulation is to be improved and installing double glazing will be looked at.
* The electricity and paper supplies will be checked to make sure they are eco-friendly.
* Water coolers are being removed in favour of tap water.
* Food waste will be separated for composting – even tea bags get their own bin.
Future projects include:
* Ensuring all cleaning products are eco-friendly.
* Potentially piloting a new breed of 'stop-go' car, which switches off the engine when at a standstill.
* Using of biofuels in all transport.
* Planning permission being sought for solar panels and investigations being carried out into potential of use of a wind turbine.
Current presenters include:
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio/presenters_and_reporters/simon_parkin_feature.shtml Simon Parkin]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio/presenters_and_reporters/jo_phillips_feature.shtml Jo Phillips]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio/presenters_and_reporters/elise_rayner_feature.shtml Elise Rayner]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio/presenters_and_reporters/jess_rudkin_feature.shtml Jess Rudkin]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio/presenters_and_reporters/adam_thomas_feature.shtml Adam Thomas]
Former presenters include:
Carrie Davis( The Chris Moyles Show)
Fi Glover(Saturday Live on BBC Radio 4)
Much of BBC Somerset's broadcast schedule carries programming from Radio Bristol. The station remains on-air 24 hours a day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday with Radio 5 Live's "Up All Night" simulcast overnight from Monday to Thursday. Radio Bristol is simulcast all day on Sunday
*0600-0900 "Somerset's Big Breakfast" with Adam Thomas
*0900-1200 "Morning Jo"
*1700-1900 "Somerset's Drive" with Elise Rayner
*0100-0500 Radio 5 Live: "Up All Night"
*0700-1000 "Saturday Breakfast" with Simon Parkin
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/local_radio/ BBC Somerset]
* [http://www.mediauk.com/radio/392 Media UK - BBC Somerset]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
BBC Local Radio — is the BBC s regional radio service for England and the Channel Islands, consisting of 40 stations. They cover a variety of areas with some serving a city and surrounding areas, for example BBC Radio Manchester; a county, for example BBC Radio… … Wikipedia
BBC Local Radio — est le service de radio locale de la BBC pour l Angleterre et les Îles Anglo Normandes, regroupant 40 stations. La première radio locale, BBC Radio Leicester, a été inaugurée le 8 novembre 1967. Initialement au nombre de huit, ces stations se… … Wikipédia en Français
BBC Radio Solent — Broadcast area Hampshire, Dorset, Isle of Wight Slogan Loving life in the south, be part of it! Frequency 96.1 FM, 103.8 FM, 999 MW, 1359 MW, DAB (NOW South Hampshire) First air date 31 December 1970 … Wikipedia
Somerset — This article is about the county of Somerset in England. For other uses, see Somerset (disambiguation). Somerset Motto of County Council: Sumorsǣte ealle ( All The People of Somerset ) … Wikipedia
BBC Radio Bristol — Infobox Radio Station name = BBC Radio Bristol city = Bristol area = Bristol and the surrounding former Avon area branding = slogan = airdate = September 1970 frequency = 94.9 MHz (Dundry), 103.6 MHz (Hutton), 104.6 MHz (Bath), 1548 kHz… … Wikipedia
Somerset — Para otros usos de este término, véase Somerset (desambiguación). Somerset Condado de Inglater … Wikipedia Español
BBC Radio Jersey — Infobox Radio Station name = BBC Radio Jersey | city = St Helier area = Jersey branding = slogan = airdate = March 15, 1982 frequency = 88.8 FM, 1026 AM share = 29.5% share as of = March 2008 share source =… … Wikipedia
BBC West — Infobox BBC Nation or Region name = BBC West headquarters = Clifton, Bristol area = Bristol, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire nation = BBC English Regions regions = tvstations = tvtransmitters = Mendip radiostations = BBC Radio Bristol BBC… … Wikipedia
BBC Radio Guernsey — Infobox Radio Station name = BBC Guernsey city = Guernsey area = Bailiwick of Guernsey branding = slogan = The Voice of the Islands airdate = March 16, 1982 frequency = 93.2 FM, 1116 AM and 99 FM in Alderney share = 27.6% share as of = March 2008 … Wikipedia
Somerset — Координаты: 51°00′49″ с. ш. 3°06′23″ з. д. / 51.013611° с. ш. 3.106389° з. д. … Википедия