- British War Medal
Infobox Military Award
name= British War Medal
caption= Obverse (top left) and reverse (top right) of the medal. Ribbon: 32mm, orange watered centre with stripes of white and black on each side and borders of royal blue.
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
eligibility= British and Imperial forces.
for= Campaign service.
campaign= First World War 1914-20.
description= Silver or bronze disk, 36mm diameter.
established= 26 July 1919
total= 6,390,000 silver,
1914 Star 1914-15 Star Victory Medal
caption2=__NOTOC__The British War Medal was a campaign medal of the
British Empire, for service in World War I.
The medal was approved in 1919, for issue to officers and men of British and Imperial forces who had rendered service between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Officers and men of the
Royal Navy, Royal Marines, and Dominion and Colonial naval forces (including reserves) were required to have completed 28 days mobilised service - the medal was automatically awarded in the event of death on active service before the completion of this period.
The medal was later extended to cover the period 1919-20 and service in mine-clearing at sea as well as participation in operations in North and South Russia, the eastern Baltic, Siberia, the Black Sea, and the Caspian. [Medals Yearbook 2004, p169]
Some 6,500,000 medals were awarded in total, of which 110,000 were bronze. These bronze medals were mostly issued to Chinese, Maltese, and Indians who served in
* The medal is a circular
silver(or, in rare cases, bronze) design. The obverse shows a King George V bareheaded effigy, facing left, with the
* The reverse shows St. George, naked, on horseback armed with a short sword (an allegory of the physical and mental strength which achieves victory over Prussianism). The horse tramples on the Prussian shield and the skull and cross-bones. Just off-centre, near the right upper rim, is the sun of Victory. The dates 1914 and 1918 appear in the left and right fields respectively.
* The ribbon has a wide central watered stripe of orange, flanked by two narrow white stripes, which are in turn flanked by two black pin-stripes, further flanked by two outer stripes of blue. The colours are not believed to have any particular significance.
World War One - Medal Abbreviations
British campaign medals
Australian campaign medals
* Mackay, J and Mussel, J (eds) - "Medals Yearbook - 2006", (2005), Token Publishing.
* Joslin, Litherland, and Simpkin (eds), "British Battles and Medals", (1988), Spink
* [http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com/medals/BWM.html Royal Dublin Fusiliers BWM page]
* [http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/h/h6.html NZDF BWM page]
* [http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group03/bwm Veterans Affairs Canada BWM page]
* [http://www.defence.gov.au/medals/Content/+040%20Campaign%20Medals/+150%20world%20war%20i/+030%20British%20War%20Medal%201914-20/default.htm ADF BWM page]
* [http://www.military-medal.co.uk Online tool to identify British military medals]
title=The King's Own Royal Regiment Museum, (Lancaster), British War Medal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
British War Medal — Vorderseite der British War Medal Rückseite der British War Medal Die British War Medal ist eine britische Auszeichnung für Soldaten, die am Ersten Weltkrieg teilgenommen haben. Sie wurde am 29 … Deutsch Wikipedia
War Medal 1939–1945 — Infobox Military Award name= War Medal 1939 45 caption= Obverse (top left) and reverse (top right) of the medal. Ribbon: 32mm, narrow red stripe in centre, with a narrow white stripe on either side, broad red stripes at either edge and two… … Wikipedia
China War Medal — There were three medals issued by the British Government during the 19th Century for service in a series of wars in China fought by British and Imperial troops between 1840 and 1900. They all shared the same reverse, a trophy of arms, and the… … Wikipedia
Crimean War medal — may refer to: British Crimean War Medal Turkish Crimean War medal Baltic Medal, awarded for naval operations in the Baltic This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an … Wikipedia
China War Medal (1842) — China War Medal Obverse (t … Wikipedia
China War Medal (1900) — China War Medal 1900 … Wikipedia
Second China War Medal — Ribbon: 32mm crimson rib … Wikipedia
Mercantile Marine War Medal — Obervse (top lef … Wikipedia
Turkish Crimean War medal — The Turkish Crimean War medal is a military decoration issued by Sultan Abdülmecid I of the Ottoman Empire to allied military personnel involved in the Crimean War of 1854 56. There are three different issues of this medal for those issued to… … Wikipedia
South African Republic & Orange Free State War Medal — Infobox Military Award name= South African Republic and Orange Free State War Medal caption= Ribbon: 32mm, green, red, white, blue, yellow. awarded by= South Africa type= Campaign medal eligibility= Boer military veterans. for= Campaign service.… … Wikipedia