- Nevada System of Higher Education
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) (formerly the University and Community College System of Nevada "UCCSN") was formed in 1968 to oversee all state-supported higher education in the U.S. state of Nevada. The name was changed in 2004. Two doctoral-granting research universities, one state college, four community colleges and one research institute comprise the System. About 98,000 students attend the degree-granting campuses.
An elected Board of Regents is responsible for the governance of the institutions comprising the Nevada System of Higher Education. Elected to serve a six-year term, the 13 Regents set policies and approve budgets for Nevada's entire public system of higher education. The Board holds eight regular meetings each year as well as additional committee meetings. Regular meetings are rotated among the campuses throughout the state. All regular and committee meetings are open to the public.
On Friday, March 16, 2007, the Board of Regents of the Nevada System of Higher Education, voted to drop the name "Community" from both the Community College of Southern Nevada and Western Nevada Community College, effective July 1, 2007.
- University of Nevada, Reno is the oldest University in the state. UNR was established in 1874 as a land-grant institution.
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas was the second four-year university in the state to be founded, initially as Nevada Southern University in 1957. Winning its autonomy in 1965, Nevada Southern was renamed UNLV in 1969 due to the need for better national recognition and partially for separation from UNR.
- Nevada State College, founded in 2002, is Nevada's newest four-year public college.
- College of Southern Nevada, founded in 1971 as Clark County Community College and later renamed the Community College of Southern Nevada before gaining its current name, is the largest institution of higher education, public or private, in Nevada. It is also the third-largest community college in the United States.
- Great Basin College, previously known as Northern Nevada Community College, is a community college serving northeastern Nevada.
- Truckee Meadows Community College is a community college serving residents of Reno and the surrounding area.
- Western Nevada College, previously known as Western Nevada Community College, is a community college serving northwestern Nevada.
- Desert Research Institute is a heavily research-oriented institution focusing on atmospheric sciences and hydrologic science; graduate students may earn Master's degrees or Ph.D.s in those areas at DRI.
Nevada colleges and universitiesNevada System of Higher Education Four-year Two-year Post-graduatePrivate institutions Non-profit For-profitCareer College of Northern Nevada · DeVry University · International Academy of Design and Technology · ITT Technical Institute · Kaplan College · Las Vegas College · Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Las Vegas · Morrison University · Pima Medical Institute · The Art Institute of Las Vegas · University of Phoenix
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Higher Education Institutions in Colorado — Colorado is home to many colleges and universities which range in age and focus of programs. This list also includes other educational institutions providing higher education, meaning tertiary, quaternary, and, in some cases, post secondary… … Wikipedia
Nevada State College — Established 2002 Type Public President Dr. Lesley DiMare Provost Dr. Erika Beck … Wikipedia
Nevada's 2nd congressional district special election, 2011 — 2010 ← September 13, 2011 → 2012 … Wikipedia
Nevada — This article is about the U.S. state of Nevada. For other uses, see Nevada (disambiguation). State of Nevada … Wikipedia
Nevada Policy Research Institute — Part of a series on Conservatism … Wikipedia
Nevada's 2nd congressional district election, 2006 — Elections in Nevada Federal government Presidential Elections 2000 · 2004 · 2008 Pr … Wikipedia
education — /ej oo kay sheuhn/, n. 1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. 2. the act or process of… … Universalium
Education in Pennsylvania — There are numerous elementary, secondary, and higher institutions of learning in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is home to 501 public school districts, thousands of private schools, many publicly funded colleges and universities, and over 100 private … Wikipedia
Education in Singapore — Ministry of Education Minister Heng Swee Keat National education budget (2006) Budget S$6.966 billion General Details Primary Languages … Wikipedia
Education in Kentucky — includes elementary school (kindergarten through fifth grade in most areas), middle school (or junior high, sixth grade through eighth grade in most locations), high school (ninth through twelfth grade in most locations), and postsecondary… … Wikipedia