- Detroit Rock City
"Detroit Rock City" Single by Kiss from the album Destroyer Released July 28, 1976 Format 7" Recorded Record Plant Studios,
New York City: 1976
Genre Hard rock, heavy metal Length 5:17 (album version)
3:35 (single version)
Label Casablanca Writer(s) Paul Stanley
Producer Bob Ezrin Kiss singles chronology "Flaming Youth" / "God of Thunder"
"Detroit Rock City" / "Beth"
"Beth" / "Detroit Rock City"
"Detroit Rock City" is a song by the American hard rock group Kiss featured on their 1976 album, Destroyer. The song was written by Paul Stanley and Bob Ezrin and is about a real Kiss fan who was killed in a car accident on his way to a Kiss concert. The song, recorded and released as a single in 1976, was the third single from Kiss's album Destroyer and was planned to be their last in support of the album. As a single, it did poorly in sales and radio play (other than in Detroit), and failed to chart in the U.S. even though it would prove to be a fan favorite. It came as a surprise that the B-side "Beth", a ballad sung by drummer Peter Criss, wound up catching on in different markets in the United States, so the single was reissued with "Beth" as the A-side and "Detroit Rock City" as the B-side. During the Love Gun/Alive II tour, Stanley changed the lyric, "I know I'm gonna die, why?" to "I know I'm gonna die, and I don't care!" The song was #6 on VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs and is featured on the album Heavy Metal – The First 20 Years.
Interesting Facts About Song
The newscaster at the beginning of Detroit Rock City is actually Gene.Detroit Rock City was based on an earlier song that Kiss performed only in concert called Acrobat.
In pop culture
- Its title was used for a 1999 motion picture.
- Detroit Tigers often use the song when the team takes the field at the beginning of the game.
- Detroit Red Wings play the tune right before the first face-off of a game and also during television and radio broadcasts.
- Fictional venue—The Rock City Theater located in Detroit, Michigan—appeared in the music video game Guitar Hero II.
- It is featured in the 2007 music video game Rock Band,in which the master track is used - however, the first solo appears extended, and the ending "Get up!/Everybody's gonna leave their seats/Get down!" was cut off the song.
- Kiss played it on an episode of Gene Simmons Family Jewels.
- It is featured in the 2008 music video game Rock Revolution.
- Rock Band version of the song appears in the movie Paul Blart: Mall Cop.
- It is featured in the 2008 movie Role Models.
- It is featured in the 2009 music video game Dance Dance Revolution.
- It is featured in the 2011 movie The Dilemma.
- Rich Kids on LSD - "Berlin Rock City" - "Greatest Hits, Live in Berlin" 1988
- Halloween (metal band) "No One Gets Out" 1991
- Soundgarden – " Sub Pop Rock City" – Sub Pop 200
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Kiss My Ass
- Hayseed Dixie – Let There Be Rockgrass
- Alien Fashion Show – "Detroit Swing City" (single, 1998)
- Metallica, Kid Rock, Sevendust and Ted Nugent live collaboration from New Years' Eve 1999 concert at the Pontiac Silverdome
- HammerFall – Crimson Thunder (bonus track)
- Radio Cult – "Grooves from the Grave" (2008)
- Sweet Siren
- Less Than Jake – "Gainsville Rock City"
- GO!GO!7188 – "Kazari Janai no yo Namida wa" (originally by Akina Nakamori) on their cover album album, Tora no Ana 2
- Bullet LaVolta – Gimme Danger / Hard to Believe: Kiss Covers Compilation
- Dee Snider – Spin the Bottle
- Racer X – Live Extreme Volume II
- Green Day – "Live in Detroit" July 14, 2009 (only played beginning)
- Paul Stanley - lead vocals/rhythm guitar
- Ace Frehley - lead guitar
- Gene Simmons - bass guitar/backing vocals
- Peter Criss - drums
Kiss singles discography 1970s
- "Nothin' to Lose"
- "Kissin' Time"
- "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll"
- "Rock and Roll All Nite"
- "C'mon and Love Me"
- "Rock and Roll All Nite (Live)"
- "Shout It Out Loud"
- "Flaming Youth"
- "Detroit Rock City"
- "Hard Luck Woman"
- "Calling Dr. Love"
- "Christine Sixteen"
- "Love Gun"
- "Then She Kissed Me"
- "Shout It Out Loud (Live)"
- "Rocket Ride"
- "Strutter '78"
- "Radioactive" (Gene Simmons solo album)
- "New York Groove" (Ace Frehley solo album)
- "Hold Me, Touch Me (Think of Me When We're Apart)" (Paul Stanley solo album)
- "Don't You Let Me Down"
- "You Still Matter to Me" (Peter Criss solo album)
- "I Was Made for Lovin' You"
- "Sure Know Something"
- "Talk to Me"
- "A World Without Heroes"
- "I Love It Loud"
- "Creatures of the Night"
- "Lick It Up"
- "All Hell's Breakin' Loose"
- "Heaven's on Fire"
- "Thrills in the Night"
- "Tears Are Falling"
- "Crazy Crazy Nights"
- "Reason to Live"
- "Turn on the Night"
- "Let's Put the 'X' in Sex"
- "(You Make Me) Rock Hard"
- "Hide Your Heart"
- "Modern Day Delilah"
- "Say Yeah"
2010s Detroit TigersBased in Detroit, Michigan Franchise Ballparks Culture Lore
Disco Demolition Night • 28-out perfect game
Important figuresHall of Fame
Retired numbers Minors Key personnel World Series
League pennants (10) Division titles (4) Wild card berths (1) Broadcasters Seasons (112) 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s2010 • 2011 • 2012
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Detroit Rock City — «Detroit Rock City» Сингл Kiss из альбома … Википедия
Detroit rock city — Detroit Rock City, ou Détroit, ville du Rock au Québec (Detroit Rock City en version originale), est un film sorti en 1999 dont le nom provient du morceau de Kiss du même nom. Sommaire 1 Histoire 2 Fiche technique 3 Acteurs … Wikipédia en Français
Detroit Rock City — Pour l’article homonyme, voir Detroit Rock City (film). Detroit Rock City Single par Kiss extrait de l’album Destroyer Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Detroit Rock City — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Detroit Rock City Produktionsland USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
Detroit Rock City (film) — Detroit Rock City Theatrical release poster Directed by Adam Rifkin Produced by … Wikipedia
Detroit Rock City (canción) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda «Detrot Rock City» Sencillo de KISS del álbum Destroyer Formato 7 Grabado 1976 … Wikipedia Español
Detroit Rock City (película) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Detroit Rock City Título Cero en conducta Ficha técnica Dirección Adam Rifkin Producción Barry Levine Gene Simmons … Wikipedia Español
Detroit Rock City (chanson) — Detroit Rock City Single par Kiss extrait de l’album Destroyer Pays États Unis Sortie … Wikipédia en Français
Détroit Rock City (chanson) — Detroit Rock City (chanson) Detroit Rock City Single par Kiss extrait de l’album Destroyer Pays États Unis Sortie … Wikipédia en Français
Detroit Rock City (film) — Detroit Rock City, ou Détroit, ville du Rock au Québec (Detroit Rock City en version originale), est un film sorti en 1999 dont le nom provient du morceau du même nom de Kiss. Sommaire 1 Histoire 2 Fiche technique 3 Acteurs … Wikipédia en Français