- Forty Creek
Forty Creek Barrel Select is a blended
Canadian whisky, 40% alcohol ( ethanol) by volume, 80 proof. It is made with rye, barley and Indian corn ( maize). Each grain is fermented, distilled, and aged separately to produce a "méritage" of single grain whiskies. After distillation using a small-batch, copper pot still, the whiskies are aged separately 6-10 years in small cask 40-gallon white oak barrels of varying toasting levels. Vintage sherry casks round off some of the aged whiskies after they are blended, for an additional six months.
Forty Creek is produced in Grimsby, Ontario (between Hamilton and Niagara Falls) by John K. Hall, first generation whisky maker, and owner of Kittling Ridge Wines & Spirits. "Malt Advocate magazine" named John Hall “Pioneer of the Year” in 2007 because of his contribution to new lines of thought and new methods in the world of whisky. Forty Creek is made by the only 100% Canadian distillery remaining in Ontario, Canada.
Awards and accolades
In the 2008 Icons of Whisky Canada competition held by London England's "Whisky Magazine", John K. Hall was awarded "Ambassador of the Year" while Kittling Ridge was deemed "Best Distiller".
• One of the Top 5 best tasting whiskies in North America - Beverage Testing Institute, Chicago
• Double Gold Medal - San Francisco World Spirits Competition
• Gold Medal – World Selection, Brussels, Belgium
• Highest Award - International Spirits Challenge, London, England
• Best Canadian Whisky - New England International Whisky Festival, Connecticut
• Editor's Choice Gold Award - Whisky Magazine, London, England
• First Canadian whisky to be articled in Whisky Magazine, London, England
• Highest score for a Canadian Whisky – Whisky Magazine, London, England
* [http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com Forty Creek Web Site]
* [http://www.theartofdrink.com/blog/2006/07/forty_creek_barrel_select_whis.php Forty Creek Barrel Select Review from "The Art of Drink"]
* [http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/issue47/12005815.html "Whisky Magazine" article: "Up on Forty Creek, the whisky sends me", by Charles K. Cowdery, issue 47]
* [http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/forty_creek/whisky741.html Forty Creek Barrel Select - Tasting Notes and Scores from "Whisky Magazine" (Michael Jackson & Dave Broom)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Forty Mile, Yukon — Forty Mile is best known as the oldest town in Canada’s Yukon. It was established in 1886 at the confluence of the Yukon River and Fortymile River by prospectors and fortune hunters in search of gold. Largely abandoned during the nearby Klondike… … Wikipedia
Forty Mile (Yukon) — 64° 16′ N 140° 20′ W / 64.27, 140.33 … Wikipédia en Français
Forty Mile County No. 8, Alberta — County of Forty Mile No. 8 Municipal district … Wikipedia
Creek (people) — Infobox Ethnic group group=Creek image caption = Opothleyahola, Muscogee Creek Chief, 1830s poptime=50,000 60,000 popplace=United States (Oklahoma, Alabama) rels=Protestantism, other langs=English, Creek related=Muskogean peoples: Alabama,… … Wikipedia
Forty Mile (Yukon) — Aufnahme von Forty Mile und der Mündung des Fortymile River in den Yukon von 1897 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Forty-Nine (steamboat) — The Forty Nine was a steamboat built in 1865 at Marcus, Washington Terr., just above Kettle Falls on the Columbia River to carry travellers and freight north up the Columbia River and the Arrow Lakes to the Big Bend Gold Rush in the Colony of… … Wikipedia
RKO Forty Acres — Forty Acres was a film studio backlot that belonged to RKO Pictures and Desilu Productions, located in Culver City, California. Best known as Forty Acres, or the back forty [ Back 40 is a term used colloquially in America to describe a parcel of… … Wikipedia
Council of Forty-four — The Council of Forty four was one of the two central institutions of traditional Cheyenne Indian tribal governance, the other being the military societies such as the Dog Soldiers. The influence of the Council of Forty four waned in the face of… … Wikipedia
Battle of Stoney Creek — Infobox Military Conflict caption= conflict=Battle of Stoney Creek partof=the War of 1812 date=June 6, 1813 place=present day Stoney Creek, Ontario result=British victory combatant1=Flagicon|UKUnited Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland… … Wikipedia
Dorothy at Forty — EP by Cursive Released 2006 … Wikipedia