- Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown
name = Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown
native_name = Institiúid Teicneolaíochta, Baile Bhlainséir
established = 1999
type = Institute of Technology
head_label = Chairperson of Governing Body
head = Donal Connell
head_label = Director
head = Dr. Mary Meaney
students = 1500
staff = 150
city = Blanchardstown,
country = Ireland
website = http://www.itb.ie
address = Blanchardstown Road North, Dublin 15
telephone = +353 1 885 1000
The Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown (ITB), established in 1999, is (as of 2008), the last-founded Institute of Technology in Ireland. It is located in
Blanchardstown, about 15 km from Dublin City and close to the N3 Navan Road. [ [http://www.itb.ie/site/keypages/findus.htm ITB site] ] As of 2006, it had around 1,500 students, with a target of 2,000 by 2011.
ITB provides full-time and part-time
higher educationcourses in Engineering, Computing, Business, Social Care and Horticulture, at higher certificate, ordinary degreeand honours degreelevels [http://www.itb.ie/site/courses/courses.htm website] .
The Institute, which was established under the Regional Technical Colleges Act, 1992, and became autonomous under the Regional Technical Colleges (Amendment) Act, 1999, is formally governed by a Governing Body, whose Chairperson is (as of 2006) Donal O'Connell(now retired), leader of this body and its predecessor from the beginning.
Management of the Institute is led by a Director (incumbent in 2007: Dr. Mary Meaney), and the Heads of Schools and Departments, and of operational functions (Estates Manager, Finance Manager, IT Manager, HR Manager).
Schools and Departments of the Institute
*School of Business & Humanities
** Department of Business
** Department of Humanities
*School of Informatics & Engineering
** Department of Computing
** Department of Engineering
The last Annual Report of the Institute published on its website is for the period 1999-2002.
The Institute's Library has a wide range of books, and a selection of DVDs, along with access to online information resources. The Librarian is Aidin O'Sullivan.
ITB achieved delegated authority in 2006 (that is, the power to confer degrees itself, on behalf of
The college has a 22 hectare (56 acre) campus within
Fingal County Council's College Business and Technology Park, on Blanchardstown Road North. The component buildings, with a total area of over 22,000 square metres, and capital cost exceeding €50 million, are:
* A Block: ITB's first building, opened September 1999, contains computing and engineering laboratories, three large lecture theatres and offices for Academic Administration, Finance and Human Resources. It also has the counsellors office.
* Learning and Innovation Centre (B Block): Built May-October 2001, initially for workshops, and now hosting small business ventures and supporting college-industry links. Also Post-Grad research facilities.
* Multipurpose Building (C Block): Canteen, medical centre, Students' Union, chaplains' offices, sports hall and gym.
* D Block: Apprentice workshops, including electrical, masonry, carpentry and plumbing, as well as maintenance and goods receiving.
* E Block: A two-wing building containing classrooms, science laboratories, language laboratories, two large lecture theatres, most academic staff offices and the student helpdesk.
* F Block: The current official entry point, this holds the reception, Marketing and senior management offices, and a large lecture theatre.
The website provides a [http://www.itb.ie/site/itbinformation/360.htm virtual tour] and [http://www.itb.ie/site/itbinformation/webcameras.htm web cam] .
As part of ITB's commitment to working in partnership with other education providers, community and industry, it has developed a B.Sc. in Horticulture course with the College of Amenity Horticulture in the National Botanic Gardens (
Glasnevin) and the Salesian College of Horticulture (Warrenstown, Drumree, near Dunsany and Dunshaughlin, County Meath).
Education in Ireland
List of Irish third-level educational institutions
* [http://www.itb.ie Official Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown site]
* [http://www.itb.ie/site/itbinformation/webcameras.htm Live Web Cameras on the ITB Campus]
* [http://www.itb.ie/site/itbinformation/360.htm Virtual Campus tour with 360 degree views]
* [http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.405611,-6.377692&spn=0.002757,0.007296&t=h&z=17&om=1 Google Maps View of the ITB Campus]
References and Footnotes
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dublin Institute of Technology — Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Bhaile Atha Cliath Established 1978 President Prof Brian Norton … Wikipedia
Cork Institute of Technology — Motto Rísam Uile (Let us Achieve) Established 1974 President Dr. Brendan J. Murphy Students 17,000 … Wikipedia
Dundalk Institute of Technology — Institiúid Teicneolaíochta Dhún Dealgan Established 1970 President Denis Cummins Academic staff 600+ … Wikipedia
Blanchardstown — ( Baile Bhlainséir in Irish) is a growing outer suburb of Dublin, Ireland. The area is located 10 km north west of Dublin City and covers most of the An Post postal district Dublin 15. It is administered by Fingal County Council, and is that… … Wikipedia
Blanchardstown — (irisch: Baile Bhlainséir) ist ein Vorort von Dublin. Er ist mit 68.156 Einwohnern (Stand 2011) die größte Stadt im County Fingal und bildet zusammen mit Swords ein regionales Servicezentrum für das County. Seit 1996 ist die Bevölkerung um ca.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Blanchardstown — 53°23′N 6°23′W / 53.383, 6.383 Blanchardstown (Baile Bhlainséir en Irlandais) est une banlieue de Dub … Wikipédia en Français
Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology — IADT Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology (Irish: Institiúid Ealaíona,Dearadh agus Teicneolaíochta Dhún Laoghaire) is located at Dún Laoghaire, Ireland was established in 1997 and incorporated the former Dun Laoghaire College of… … Wikipedia
Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown — Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown ( ga. Ospidéal Uí Chonghaile, Baile Bhlainséir) (formerly James Connolly Memorial Hospital) is a public university teaching hospital in Dublin, Ireland. It was founded in 1955 as an asylum for tuberculosis (TB)… … Wikipedia
Dublin — This article is about the capital of Ireland. For other uses, see Dublin (disambiguation). Dublin Baile Átha Cliath Clockwise from top: Samuel Beckett Bridge, Trinity College … Wikipedia
List of universities in the Republic of Ireland — This is a list of colleges and universities in Ireland, some colleges are constituent colleges of universities. Contents 1 Universities 2 Colleges of Education 3 Independent and Further Education … Wikipedia