- Remote field testing
Remote field testing (RFT) is an
electromagneticmethod of nondestructive testingwhose main application is finding defects in steel pipes and tubes. RFT may also referred to as RFEC (remote field eddy current) or RFET (remote field electromagnetic technique). An RFT probe is moved down the inside of a pipe and is able to detect inside and outside defects with approximately equal sensitivity (although it can not discriminate between the two). Although RFT works in nonferromagnetic materials such as copperand brass, its sister technology eddy-current testingis more effective in these materials.
The basic RFT probe consists of an exciter coil (also known as a transmit or send coil) which sends a signal to the detector (or receive coil). The exciter coil is pumped with an AC current and emits a magnetic field. The field travels outwards from the exciter coil, through the pipe wall, and along the pipe. The detector is placed inside the pipe two to three pipe diameters away from the exciter and detects the magnetic field that has travelled back in from the outside of the pipe wall (for a total of two through-wall transits). In areas of metal loss, the field arrives at the detector with a faster travel time (greater phase) and greater signal strength (amplitude) due to the reduced path through the steel. Hence the dominant mechanism of RFT is through-transmission.
Main features of RFT
* commonly applied to examination of boilers, heat exchangers, cast iron pipes, and pipelines.
* no need for direct contact with the pipe wall
* probe travel speed around 30 cm/s (1 foot per second), usually slower in pipes greater than 3 inch diameter.
* less sensitive to probe wobble than conventional eddy current testing (its sister technology for nonferromagnetic materials)
* because the field travels on the outside of the pipe, RFT shows reduced accuracy and sensitivity at conductive and magnetic objects on or near the outside of the pipe, such as attachments or tube support plates.
* two coils generally create two signals from one small defect — a headache for the analyst
The main differences between RFT and conventional
eddy-current testing(ECT) is in the coil-to-coil spacing. The RFT probe has widely spaced coils to pick up the through-transmission field. The typical ECT probe has coils or coil sets that create a field and measure the response within a small area, close to the object being tested.
Internal rotary inspection system
References and sources
* [http://physics.queensu.ca/~amg/remote_field.html RFT from Queen's University, Kingston, Canada]
* [http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/DATABASE.CART/REDLINE_PAGES/E2096.htm?L+mystore+qyvw0853+1192856458 ASTM E 2096 – 00 Standard Practice for In Situ Examination of Ferromagnetic Heat-Exchanger Tubes Using Remote Field Testing]
* [http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Other%20Methods/RFT/RFT_index.htm Outline of RFT]
* [http://www.asnt.org/publications/materialseval/basics/mar05basics/mar05basics.htm RFT probes for heat exchangers]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Remote keyless system — A remote keyless system is a system designed to remotely permit or deny access to premises or automobiles. There are several RKE systems on the market, including but not limited to KeeLoq by Microchip, HITAG by Philips, and AVR411 by Atmel.In the … Wikipedia
Nondestructive testing — or Non destructive testing (NDT) is a wide group of analysis techniques used in science and industry to evaluate the properties of a material, component or system without causing damage. The terms Nondestructive examination (NDE),… … Wikipedia
Electromagnetic testing — (ET), as a form of nondestructive testing, is the process of inducing electric currents or magnetic fields or both inside a test object and observing the electromagnetic response. If the test is set up properly, a defect inside the test object… … Wikipedia
List of oil field acronyms — Contents 1 # 2 A 3 B 4 C … Wikipedia
Near field communication — An NFC enabled mobile phone interacting with a SmartPoster Near field communication, or NFC, allows for simplified transactions, data exchange, and wireless connections between two devices in proximity to each other, usually by no more than a few … Wikipedia
materials testing — Introduction measurement of the characteristics and behaviour of such substances as metals, ceramics, or plastics under various conditions. The data thus obtained can be used in specifying the suitability of materials for various… … Universalium
Nuclear weapons testing — Nuclear weapons History Warfare Arms race Design Testing Effects Delivery Espionage … Wikipedia
Emu Field — was located in the desert of South Australia, at approximately coord|29|S|132|E|region:AU SA. Variously known as Emu Field, Emu Junction or Emu, it was the site of the Operation Totem pair of nuclear tests conducted by the British government in… … Wikipedia
Duke Field — Eglin AFB Auxiliary Field #3 Part of Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) Located near: Crestview, Florida … Wikipedia
Microsoft Reaction Card Method (Desirability Testing) — Developed by Microsoft in 2002 by Joey Benedek and Trish Miner, the Microsoft Reaction Card method is used to check the emotional response and desirability of a design or product. This method is commonly used in the field of software design. The… … Wikipedia