- Engage (organization)
Engage is an organisation which publishes materials in opposition to what they see as left and liberal antisemitism, primarily in
UKacademic institutions. The group is made up of left-wing academic who oppose boycotts of Israel. [http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3406627,00.html] The organization describes its mission as follows: "Engage challenges left and liberal antisemitism in the labour movement, in our universities and in public life more generally. Antisemitismhere, manifests itself mainly as anti-Zionism. We are a resource for the monitoring and the critique of left and liberal antisemitism." Engage was originally founded in response to the decision of the Association of University Teachersto participate in an academic and cultural boycott of Israel.
The founders of Engage were
David Hirsh, who teaches at Goldsmiths Collegeat the University of London, and Jon Pike, who teaches at the Open University. Hirsh writes about left and liberal anti-semitism for the Guardian Unlimitedblog. Well-known supporters include the academic and blogger Norman Geras.
According to its founding statement, [ [http://www.engageonline.org.uk/archives/index.php?id=14 Original founding statement] ] the organization
* opposes Israel’s occupation of the
West Bankand Gaza. "Engage" is in favour of the foundation of a Palestinian statealongside the state of Israel.
* opposes the idea of an academic or cultural boycott of Israel.
* aims to encourage, facilitate and publicise positive links between Israeli, Palestinian, British and global academia.
* stands up against antisemitism in universities, in unions and in students unions. In "Engage"'s opinion, opposing the sometimes brutal actions of the Israeli government and army is not antisemitic, but sometimes anti-Zionism is antisemitic.
* [http://www.engageonline.org.uk Organization website]
* [http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/david_hirsh/ David Hirsh blog]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.