- List of NCAA college football rivalry games
NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision
Rivalries involving more than two teams
Game Trophy Team Team First Year Final Year Beehive Boot BYU, Utah, Utah State, and Weber State (FCS) 1971 Commander-in-Chief's Trophy Air Force, Army, Navy 1972 Florida Cup Florida, Florida State, Miami (FL) 2002 Michigan MAC Trophy Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan 2005
NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision
Game Trophy Team Team First Year Final Year Aggie-Eagle Classic North Carolina A&T North Carolina Central 1924 2005 Battle for the Brice-Cowell Musket Brice-Cowell Musket Maine New Hampshire 1903 Battle for Chief Caddo Chief Caddo Northwestern State Stephen F. Austin 1924 Battle for the Golden Horseshoe The Golden Horseshoe Cal Poly UC Davis 2004 Battle for the Old Mountain Jug Old Mountain Jug Appalachian State Western Carolina 1932 Battle for the Ol' School Bell The Ol' School Bell Jacksonville State Troy State 1924 2001 Battle for the Paddle Paddle Nicholls State Texas State 1998 2011 Battle for the Red Belt Red Belt Murray State Western Kentucky 1978 2000 Battle of the Bay Hampton Norfolk State 1962 Battle of the Blue Battle of the Blue Trophy Delaware Villanova 2007 Battle of the Bluegrass Eastern Kentucky Western Kentucky 1914 2008 Battle of the Piney Woods Sam Houston State Stephen F. Austin 1925 Bayou Classic Grambling State Southern 1974 Brawl of the Wild The Great Divide Trophy Montana Montana State 1897 Capital Cup Capital Cup William & Mary Richmond 1898 Colonial Clash Bill Knight Trophy Massachusetts New Hampshire 1897 Causeway Classic Causeway Carriage Sacramento State UC Davis 1954 Dakota Marker North Dakota State South Dakota State 1903 The Dam Cup The Dam Trophy Eastern Washington Portland State 2010 The EWU-UM Governors Cup The Governors Cup Eastern Washington Montana 1967 Florida Classic Bethune-Cookman Florida A&M 1925 The Game Harvard Yale 1875 Governor's Cup Brown Rhode Island 1909 Governor's Trophy Dartmouth Princeton 1897 Granite Bowl Dartmouth New Hampshire 1901 Liberty Cup Columbia Fordham 2002 Magic City Classic Alabama A&M Alabama State 1924 Military Classic of the South Silver Shako The Citadel VMI 1920 Red Beans and Rice Bowl 50 lb. iron pot Central Arkansas McNeese State 2008 Sawhorse Dollar Dartmouth Princeton 2004 State Fair Classic Grambling State Prairie View A&M 1925 The Rivalry Lafayette Lehigh 1884 Trustee Cup Cornell Penn 1893 Turkey Day Classic Alabama State Tuskegee (D-II) 1901 Hoosier Helmet Game Hoosier Helmet Trophy Butler Valparaiso 1927  Route 1 Rivalry First State Cup Delaware Delaware State 2009
NCAA Division II
Game Trophy Team Team First Year Final Year Anchor-Bone Classic Anchor-Bone Trophy Grand Valley State University Ferris State University 1971 The Trainer's Kit St. Cloud State University Minnesota State University 1978 Battle in Seattle Cascade Cup Western Washington Central Washington 1922 Battle of the Ravine Henderson State University Ouachita Baptist University 1895 Battle of the Valleys Grand Valley State University Saginaw Valley State University 1975 Black and Blue Presidents Panhandle Challenge Shepherd University West Liberty University 2011 Coal Bowl Coal Miners Pail Trophy California University of Pennsylvania Indiana University of Pennsylvania 2009 Dan Farmer Classic Dan Farmer Trophy San Francisco State University Chico State University 1940 1995 Fall Classic Pittsburg State University Northwest Missouri State University 2002 Great Valley Classic Shepherd University Shippensburg University 1998 Heritage Bell Heritage Bell Delta State University Mississippi College 1979 1993 Miner's Cup Miner's Cup Northern Michigan University Michigan Technological University 2002 Nickel Trophy North Dakota State North Dakota 1894 2003 Old Hickory Stick Game Hickory Stick Northwest Missouri State Truman State 1930 South Dakota State South Dakota 1889 2003 Top Dog Game Top Dog Trophy Butler Indianapolis 1971 1992 Two Rivers Classic Two Rivers Classic Trophy UNC Pembroke Fayetteville State 2009 Miner's Bowl Miner's Helmet and Axe Missouri Southern Pittsburg State 1986 The Wooden Shoes Trophy Grand Valley State University Wayne State University 1975
NCAA Division III
Game Trophy Team Team First Year Final Year Academic Bowl Academic Bowl Carnegie Mellon Case Western Reserve 1986 Admiral's Cup Admiral's Cup Maine Maritime Mass Maritime 1973 The Backyard Brawl The Backyard Brawl Trophy Millsaps Mississippi College 1920
Baird Brothers Trophy Case Western Reserve Wooster 1984 Battle For The Border Claw Border Claw Trophy East Texas Baptist Louisiana College 2000 Biggest Little Game In America Amherst Williams 1884 Book of Knowledge Carleton Macalester 1999 The Bridge Bowl Bridge Bowl Trophy Mount St. Joseph Thomas More (KY) 1990  Bronze Ball Manchester IN Anderson IN The Bronze Turkey Game The Bronze Turkey Trophy Knox (IL) Monmouth (IL) 1888 CBB Trophy 1896 Centennial Cup Hobart Rochester 2000 Cereal Bowl The Goat Trophy and The Cereal Bowl Trophy Carleton St. Olaf 1919 Cortaca Jug Ithaca SUNY Cortland 1942 Courage Bowl Rochester St. John Fisher 2005 Conestoga Wagon Dickinson Franklin & Marshall 1963 Cranberry Bowl Bridgewater State Mass Maritime 1978 Doehling-Heselton Memorial Trophy Lawrence Ripon 1893 Dutchman's Shoes RPI Union (NY) 1886 Edmund Orgill Trophy Rhodes Sewanee 1899 Founders Trophy Chicago Washington University in St. Louis 1933 The Goal Post Juniata Susquehanna 1952 The Hammer Augsburg Hamline 2005 Hoffman Cup Merchant Marine St. Lawrence 2003 I-94 Trophy Wisconsin–Eau Claire Wisconsin–Stout 2008 Johnnie-Tommie Game The Holy Grail St. John's (Minn.) St. Thomas 1901 Johns Hopkins-McDaniel Rivalry Maryland railroad lantern Johns Hopkins McDaniel 1894 Little Brass Bell North Central Wheaton (IL) 1946 Little Brown Bucket Dickinson Gettysburg 1938 Little Three 1899 Mercer County Cup Grove City Thiel 1983 Monon Bell Classic Monon Bell DePauw Wabash 1890 Myron Claxton's Shoes Occidental Whittier 1901 Old Paint Bucket Hamline Macalester 1887 Rocking Chair Classic Mac-Jack Rocking Chair Hamilton Middlebury 1980 Oldest College Rivalry West of the Mississippi Coe Cornell (IA) 1891 The Oldest Small-College Rivalry in the South, The Game The Jacket-Tiger Cup Hampden-Sydney Randolph-Macon 1893 The Regents Cup Salisbury Frostburg State 1973 Seafaring Scuffle SUNY Maritime Merchant Marine 2008 Secretaries Cup Coast Guard Merchant Marine 1949 The Stagg Hat Lycoming Susquehanna 1993 The Transit Trophy RPI WPI 1980 Victory Bell Classic Victory Bell Franklin College Hanover College 1896 Wagon Wheel[disambiguation needed ] Lewis & Clark Willamette 1949 Wilkes-Barre Mayor's Cup King's College Wilkes 1996
- Most-played rivalries in NCAA Division I FBS
- Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy (top team in the Northeast)
- List of black college football classics
- College rivalry#United States
- ^ This is the year the rivalry began. The two teams did not actually Battle for The Rag until November 29, 1941.
- ^ This is the year the rivalry began. The Peace Pipe was instated as a trophy for the first time in 1980, beginning the Battle of I-75.
- ^ Until 1959, the Battle of the Palmetto State was played on a Thursday at the State Fair and was known as Big Thursday.
- ^ This is the year the rivalry began. The Stanford Axe was designated as the trophy for the Big Game beginning in 1933.
- ^ Since 2004, the Border War between Kansas and Missouri has been officially branded as the Border Showdown, although fans, students, and alumni continue to use the historical name.
- ^ Platypus Trophy awarded 1959-1961, and as of 2007, to the winning school's alumni association.
- ^ This is the year the rivalry began. The Farmageddon name was adopted by fans and media in 2009.
- ^ Officially, this is the Florida vs. Georgia Football Classic. It is typically referred to as the Georgia–Florida Game or Florida–Georgia Game, depending on the designated home team in this neutral-site game. The name The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party is unofficial and discouraged from use by the universities; they prohibit the media from referring to it as such.
- ^ This is the year the rivalry began. Floyd of Rosedale was introduced in 1935.
- ^ http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/9364/smu-and-navy-to-play-for-gansz-trophy
- ^ This is the year the rivalry began. The Heartland Trophy was introduced in 2004.
- ^ a b The Sweet Sioux Tomahawk was retired after the 2008 game, to comply with NCAA rules on Native American imagery. It was replaced with the Land of Lincoln Trophy for the 2009 game; the series of games continues without interruption.
- ^ The Legends Trophy was first awarded in 1989 and is made of Irish crystal and California redwood.
- ^ Regular series began in 1988; teams also met in 1925 Rose Bowl and in 1942, 1963, and 1964
- ^ The Lone Star Showdown officially applies to all contests between the two schools, not just football. The trophy is awarded annually based upon a point system covering multiple sports, including football.
- ^ Border War
- ^ The rivalry between Pitt and Penn State has been played 96 times, and although it has not been played since 2000, it is scheduled to resume for a two game series in 2016 and 2017.
- ^ Until 2005, the Red River Rivalry was called the Red River Shootout.
- ^ The Sunflower Showdown officially applies to all contests between the two schools, not just football. The Governor's Cup is a trophy specifically for the winner of the football game.
- ^ Although there is no official trophy for the Michigan – Ohio State game, Ohio State players are traditionally given a pair of "Gold Pants", a small golden charm of football pants worn by football players on necklaces, if they win.
- ^ "The Victory Bell". http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=traditions. Retrieved 2010-09-22.
- ^ San Jose State and Stanford first played the series in 1900. After an attempt to name the series the Silicon Valley Challenge, it was named the Bill Walsh Legacy Game in 2007.
- ^ The War Canoe Trophy series was interrupted in 1987 but subsequently renewed.
- ^ The rivalry began in 1924. The first Aggie-Eagle Classic game was in 1994.
- ^ Greensboro News & Record
- ^ The rivalry began in 1924. The first Battle for Chief Caddo was in 1961. Chief Caddo is the largest trophy in college sports, standing at over 7 feet (2.1 m) tall.
- ^ The rivalry began in 1932. The first Battle for the Old Mountain Jug was in 1976.
- ^ The Battle for the Ol' School Bell was discontinued when Troy State, now known as Troy University, moved up to Division I-A (now the Football Bowl Subdivision) in 2001.
- ^ Brawl of the Wild: Celebrating the 100th Griz-Cat game at www.missoulian.com.
- ^ The Great Divide Trophy was first awarded in 2001.
- ^ First called the I-64 Bowl in 1984. This is the most played rivalry in the South.
- ^  The rivalry began in 1897. The name Colonial Clash was first used in 2010.
- ^ The rivalry began in 1903. The first Dakota Marker game was in 2004.
- ^ The Magic City Classic at www.themagiccityclassic.com
- ^ The rivalry began in 1920. The first Silver Shako game was in 1976.
- ^ Though The Rivalry is not the oldest rivalry in NCAA Football, it is the most played and the longest uninterrupted rivalry. Since the first game in 1884, the Lafayette Leopards and the Lehigh Engineers/Mountain Hawks have met 144 times and only missed one year (1896).
- ^ The first Hoosier Helmet game occurred in 1927 when the Butler Bulldogs played the Valparaiso Crusaders. The rivalry continued through the years in the Indiana Collegiate Conference (College Division), the Heartland Conference (Division II), and presently the Pioneer League (Division I FCS). The series' first season where a trophy was awarded was in 2006.
- ^ http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090909/SPORTS07/909090307/1028/Hens--Hornets-to-play-for-First-State-Cup
- ^ Although the Fall Classic has only been played since 2002, Pitt-Northwest first played in 1932.
- ^ The first Nickel Trophy game was in 1938. The series has been suspended since North Dakota State moved from Division II to the Championship Subdivision. The University of North Dakota announced its intention to move to Division I in 2006 and there is some hope the rivalry game will be reinstated.
- ^ The South Dakota State University/University of South Dakota Rivalry, which began in 1889, is believed to be the oldest rivalry between a "(Enter State Name) State University" and a "University of (Enter State Name)" school.
- ^ The South Dakota State University/University of South Dakota rivalry is a one forged in the love for competition, but has since developed into a symbol for the pure hatred the two schools have for one another. The rivalry "ended" in 2003 when South Dakota State University made the successful transition to Division I, however, many hope the rivalry can be rekindled if the University of South Dakota successfully survives their transfer to Division I.
- ^ The first Top Dog Game occurred in 1971 when the Butler Bulldogs moved from the College Division to Division II, joining their cross-town rival the U. of I. (formerly Indiana Central) Greyhounds in the Heartland Conference. The series lasted for 21 years until the last game in 1992 when Butler moved to Division I FCS (formerly NCAA I-AA) the following season.
- ^ http://www.fsubroncos.com/tworiversclassic.html
- ^ Discontinued after Millsaps and Mississippi College met 39 times from 1920-1959. Renewed 41 years later in 2000 as an annual opening week contest.
- ^ This is the year the rivalry began. The Edmund Orgill Trophy was first competed for in 1954.
- ^ Although King's had played Wilkes nine times before the establishment of the trophy, the first game for the Wilkes-Barre Mayor's Cup was in 1996, per King's College's preview of the 2009 game.
- Weinberg, Steve (August 26, 2011). "Are college football rivalries getting out of hand?". USA Today. http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=azcentral&sParam=50142484.story. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Oregon State Beavers bowl games — This is a list of bowl games that the Oregon State Beavers football team have appeared in. The Beavers, representing Oregon State University, have played in 15 postseason bowl games. They have also played in the Mirage Bowl, a regular season… … Wikipedia
NCAA football bowl games, 2006–07 — The 2006 07 NCAA College Football Bowl Games post season schedule followed the 2006 NCAA Division I FBS regular season in college football. The NCAA divided Division I into two divisions for football in 1978. The top level, originally known as… … Wikipedia
College football on television — includes the broadcasting of college football games, as well as pre and post game reports, analysis, and human interest stories. Within the United States, the college version of American football annually garners high television ratings. College… … Wikipedia
List of NCAA Philippines basketball champions — The 1975 Ateneo Blue Eagles, NCAA seniors basketball champions … Wikipedia
Maryland–Virginia football rivalry — Maryland Virginia rivalry Maryland Terrapins Virginia Cavalier … Wikipedia
Maryland–West Virginia football rivalry — Maryland – West Virginia football rivalry Maryland Terrapins … Wikipedia
2006–07 NCAA football bowl games — Number of bowl games per state. Season 2006 Regular season August 31–December 2 … Wikipedia
Game of the Century (college football) — The phrase Game of the Century is a superlative that has been applied to several college football contests played in the 20th century, the first full century of college football in the United States. It is a subjective term applied by… … Wikipedia
Arkansas–Ole Miss football rivalry — Teams Arkansas Razorbacks … Wikipedia
College rivalry — Pairs of schools, colleges and universities, especially when they are close to each other either geographically or in their areas of specialization, often establish a college rivalry with each other over the years. This rivalry can extend to both … Wikipedia