- Goa University
. Goa University offers both graduate and post-graduate studies and research programmes. It is currently (September 2006) accredited to the NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) in India with a rating of four stars. It is located on the Taleigao Plateau. Goa University was established under the Goa University Act of 1984 and commenced operations on June 1, 1985. The University provides higher education in the Indian state of Goa.
Centre for education in Goa
Goa University is considered the centre for higher education in
Goa, a former Portuguese colony and now India's smallest and wealthiest state per capita, which has only a single university for its population of 1.4 million peopleFact|date=February 2008.
Goa University was designed by painter, sculptor, muralist, graphic designer and architect
Satish Gujral. However, there has been some criticism of the type of model he envisioned for Goa University, considering that the coastal state receives a high amount of rainfall ever year and his structure might have not been the most suited from the climatic point of view.
Goa University is built on a plateau called the Taleigao Plateau, located around five kilometres from the
Goan state capital of Panajior Panjim. It can be approached either via Bambolimto Dona Paula- Taleigao.
The Taleigao plateau overlooks the beautiful
Arabian Seaand the picturesque Dona Paulashores, a former beach village now a tourist location.The University is also counted as one of the must-sees by many tourist guides, who route visiting tourists around this region.
The CAG( Comptroller and Auditor General Report) of India says the number of students during 2001-02 to 2005-06 in four departments of French, Philosophy, Portuguese and Center for Latin American Studies was less than five but total expenditure on these four departments was Rs 1.66 crore during 2001-2006. However GU claimed students opt for professional courses which causes low student-faculty ratio.While 31 per cent of the academic posts were vacant – the recommendations of the Korgaonkar committee to reduce the staff are yet to be adopted.
It has also continued with full-fledged works division even after completion of major works. The expense on this division for a period between 2001-06 was Rs 3.51 crore, pointed out CAG report.Another anomaly pointed out in CAG report is though GU has taken possession of 163.02 hactares of land from PWD in May 1992 – till 2006 it had not conducted demarcation of boundary land.It GU has also been rapped over transfer of land for convention center and IT park. It neither prepared any land use plan not take any concrete steps to get the land (1.6302 km²) transferred from the State Government to the university’s name [http://www.aggoa.cag.gov.in/aboutus.htm About us, Accountants General, Goa ] ]
While on one hand if GU claims to have had hard press for funds which are needed to take up more challenging programmes – it’s infrastructure for distance education created at a cost of 2.15 crore has remained largely unutilized.
This facility was established in 2001, and though infrastructure has the capacity to reach and provide distance education to over 5000 students, the university had not commenced any course under distance education mode. Thus infrastructure created at the cost of Rs 2.15 crore largely remained unutilized, says CAG report.
Goa University has also accumulated deficit of university amounting to Rs 7.73 crore. It has not adopted the accrual system of accounting.
Goa University says its tasks are:
* Providing higher education under various faculties to the State of Goa.
* Providing facilities for research in various fields.
* Providing degrees in various faculties to all the successful candidates.
The University is responsible for the bachelors' level of education conducted by different colleges across
Goa, and affiliated to Goa University.
The following are the non-professional colleges affiliated to Goa University:
The Parvatibai Chowgule College, Margao
Shree Damodar college of commerce and Economics, Margao
Carmel College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Nuvem, Salcete
Rosary College of Commerce & Arts, Navelim, Salcete
St. Xavier's College, Mapusa, Goa, Mapusa, Bardez
* M.E.S. College of arts and commerce, Zuarinagar
* DM's College of Arts, S. P.Vaidya College of Science & V.N.S.Bandekar College of Commerce,
* P. E. S. College of Arts & Science,Farmagudi
Dhempe College of Arts & Science, Panjim
* G.V.M.'s Shri Gopal Govind Poi Raiturkar College of Commerce & Economics,Farmagudi,
* C. E. S. College of Arts & Commerce.
* The Naval Academy,INS Mandovi. Veer.
* Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce,Sanquelim
* Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce,Khandola
* Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce,Quepem
* Saraswat Vidyalaya's College of Commerce & Management Studies, Telangnagar, Khorlim,
* X. E. S. Fr. Agnel College of Arts & Comm,Pilar
* Government College of Arts & Commerce,
* Shree Mallikarjun College of Arts & Commerce, Delem,
CanaconaVividh Pawaskar: Lecturer in English, [REFLECTION: Zone Vice President 2008 Junior Chamber International India Zone XI,Secretary LILA English Teachers' Association, President UCTAG Unit SMC, Founder LIFELINE Blood Donors' Association, President SYMBIOSIS Nature & Adventure Club, Ex-Member Academic Council of Goa University, Ex-Secretary General Taekwondo Association of Goa, Life Member Goa Hiking Association, Member Unlearning Unlimited, National Trainer of Junior Chamber INternational India, Prime Graduate of JCI University U.S.A.
* Zantye Brothers' Educational Foundation's Narayan Zantye College of Commerce, Sarvan, Bicholim
* Goa College of Home Science,D. Bandodkar Road,
* Goa Dental College and Hospital,
* Goa College of Architecture,
* Institute of Nursing Education,Old I.P.H.B. Complex,
* Devi Shreevani Education Society's Goa Institute of Management Studies,M. S. College of Law Bldg.P. O. Caranzalem,
* V. V. Mandal's Institute of Management Training and Research,Govind R. Kare Road,
* National Hydrographic School,
Vasco da Gama
* I N S Hamla,Marve,
Malad(W), Mumbai- affiliated to Goa University.
* S. S. Dempo College of Commerce & Economics,
The following are the professional colleges affiliated to Goa University:
Padre Conceicao College of Engineering, Verna
* V. M. Salgaocar College of Law, Miramar,
* G. R. Kare College of Law,
* G. V. M.'s College of Education,
* B. S. P. Gomantak Ayuveda Mahavidyalaya,Vajem,Ponda Road,
Goa Salesian Society, Don BoscoCollege, Panaji
* Nirmala Institute of Education,Altinho,
* Shree Rayeshwar Institute of Engineering & Information Technology,
* Goa Medical College,Bambolim
* Goa College of Pharmacy,
* Goa College of Music,Altinho,
* Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour,
* PES College of Education,Farmagudi,
* College of Engineering, Farmagudi,
Post-graduate departments, centres of studies
On campus, Goa University has 23 post-graduate departments and two centres of studies offering academic programmes which lead to the Masters and Doctorate (Ph.D) programmes across different disciplines. Similarly, the university also conducts post-graduate diploma programmes in select disciplines.
The university houses 12 faculties, under which different departments operate and offer masters or diploma programmes. The following are the faculties in Goa University and the different departments which operate under them.
* The Faculty of Language and Literature: The Departments of English, Hindi, Konkani, Marathi, French and Portuguese.
* The Faculty of Natural Sciences: The Departments of Chemistry, Computer Science and technology,Earth Science, Physics, Electronics and Mathematics.
* The Faculty of Social Sciences: The Departments of Economics, History, Political Science, Philosophy and Sociology.
* The Faculty of Life Sciences and Environment: The Departments of Botany, Bio-technlogy,Micro-biology,Marine science and Zoology.
* The Faculty of Commerce: The Department of Commerce.
* [http://gudms.net/ The Faculty of Management Studies: The Department of Management Studies] .
* The Faculty of Medicine.
* The Faculty of Engineering.
* The Faculty of Law.
* The Faculty of Performing, Fine Arts and Music.
* The Faculty of Design.
The University also houses two centers,
* The Center of Latin American Studies and Caribbean Studies
* The Center of Women's Studies.
The master's programme in biotechnology is supported by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Government of India. Degree programmes in Physical Education and Fire Technology have been added during the academic year 2004-05.
Four year B.Sc (Nursing) degree has been added during the academic year 2005-06. In addition, the Goa University has also launched a
Portuguese languagecourse through its distance-education DEITEin 2005-06. Goa University's M.Com (Distance Education Mode) degree was launched in 2005-06.
Goa University's Academic Staff College, supported by the Indian
University Grants Commissionconducts refresher and orientation courses for college and university teachers. As many as 46 professional and non-professional and non-professional colleges and institutions -- for undergraduate teaching -- are affiliated to the university. Besides, eight research institutions are also recognised by the Goa University for research in various disciplines.
Facts and figures
* Goa University is located on the outskirts of
Panajior Panjim, and is spread over nearly 1.73 km² on the Taleigao Plateau, overlooking the scenic Zuari River, adjoining the Arabian Sea.
* It also offers courses in
Latin American Studies, and is one of the few universities in Indiato do so. The Centre as per the UGC's recommendation offers a post graduate course in International Studies. The Centre has signed a memorandum with the College of Naval Warfare Mumbai and with the School of International Studies, JNU, New Delhi and with the University of Colima, Mexico. The Centre offers MA M.Phil and Ph.D. The Centre has organised several national and International conferences in the last fifteen years. The Centre has been reviewed by the UGC and the Academic Audit of the University and had been given encouraging reports.
*The UGC has recently sanctioned a
Jawahralal NehruStudy centre to the University
* Goa University claims to have one of the "best teacher-student ratios". But it has also been criticised in the past for having a limited number of students.
* It has established a remote sensing laboratory, with financial and technical assistance from the
Indian Space Research Organisation.
* The university is situated in the
Western Ghatsregion, which is known to be rich in flora and fauna.
* Goa University also has set up a unit for fungus-culture collection and research.
* Goa University has signed memoranda of understanding with a number of institutions, including the
National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, Universidade Modernaand University of Aveiroin Portugal, National Centre for Software Technology, Mumbai, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines, Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, among others.
* Goa University offers a course on online programme in
GIS, in association with the Centre for Geoinformatics, University of Salzburg, Austria.
* Goa University's MCA(Master of Computer Science) course conducted by Department of Computer Science and Technology(DCST) provides updated technical skills, Industry level education, Training for job (as part of 6 semester project), an IT Industrial Tour and holds a 100% placement record since its inception.
Recognised institutions functioning with
Goa Universityrecognition are:
National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research, Vasco
Directorate of Archives, Panaji
National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula
Xavier Centre for Historical Research, Porvorim
Malaria Research Centre, Panaji
Thomas Stephens Konkkni Kendr, Porvorim
Fishery Survey of India, Mormugao
All India Institute of Local Self Government, Panaji
* The procedure for above is mentioned in detail in the annual handbookpublished and made available during the first week of June, each year.
* More information on admission can also be directly obtained from the academic sections, concerned departments, or colleges in person.
* All the admission forms are directly received by the concerned office of the various departments on the University campus.
* Members of the public can visit the office from 12.00 noon to 13.00 hrs. on all working days, according to the [http://goagovt.nic.in/charter/files/goa%2520university/charter.pdf Citizen's Charter of the Goa University] .
As of September 2006, His Excellency,the Governor of Goa
S.C. Jamiris the chancellor of the university, Prof. Dileep Deobagkar is the Vice-Chancellor of Goa University and M.M. Sangodkaras registrar.
tatutory bodies of the Goa University
Statutory bodies of the university are as follows:
The Court has a membership of 40 and its constitution shall be as under: i) Vice Chancellor as chairman ii) Five deans of faculties iii) Five professors of university teaching departments iv) Five principals of affiliated colleges v) Three teachers (other than deans and professors) of the University teaching departments vi) Eight teachers of affiliated colleges vii) Two representatives of the managements of the non-government affiliated colleges viii) The chairman of the University Students Council ix) Four eminent educationists, scholars, specialists or administrators x) One representative of the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and one representative of Other Backward Communities xi) Two women representatives of Goa xii) A representative of the non-teaching staff of the University xiii) Registrar of the University as Member-Secretary. The term of the court will be of four years.
The Executive Council
The Executive Council has a membership of 13 and its constitution shall be as under: i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) Two deans of faculties members iii) One principal of an affiliated college iv) One professor (other than deans) of the University teaching departments v) Five eminent educationists, scholars, specialists or administrators vi) Two nominees of the state vii) Registrar as Member-Secretary. The term of the Executive Council is of four years
The Academic Council
The Academic Council has a membership of 40 and its constitution shall be as under: i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) All the deans of the faculties of the University (ten) iii) Five University professors iv) Five principals of the affiliated colleges v) Five teachers of the University departments vi) Five teachers of the affiliated colleges vii) The Director of N.I.O viii) Chairman, Goa Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education ix) Three eminent educationists or scholars x) Librarian xi) Registrar as Member-Secretary. The term of the Academic Council is of four years.
The Planning Board comprises eight members and its constitution shall be as under: i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) Vice-Chancellor of any University iii) *One member of the Executive Council iv) *One member of the Academic Council v) One dean of faculty vi) One eminent educationist vii) One representative of the University Grants Commission viii) The Registrar as ex-officio Member-Secretary. (*Amended by EC on 25/11/94 in view of provision contained in clause 2 of Statute 40.) The term of office of the members other than the Vice-Chancellor and the Registrar is of four years and they shall be eligible for re-nomination.
The Finance Committee of the University consists of the following eight members: i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) Registrar iii) Secretary to Government of Goa in-charge of University Education iv) Secretary to Government of Goa in-charge of the Finance v) One nominee of the E.C. from its own members vi) Dean of the Faculty of Commerce vii) One nominee of the Visitor viii) The finance Officer as Member-Secretary. The Visitor nominates a person not connected with the University on the Finance Committee. The Executive Council nominates one of its members on the Finance Committee The term of all the members of the Finance Committee other than the Vice-Chancellor and Ex-Officio Members shall be of four year.
Goa University is located at Taleigao Plateau, Goa, India. Telephone +0091-832-2451345-48/75; 2456480-85 and fax +0091-832-2451184/2452889.The University has recently switched over to Tata Indicom numbers and most of the BSNL numbers will become defunct soon.
* [http://www.unigoa.ac.in Goa University website]
* [http://goagovt.nic.in/charter/files/goa%2520university/charter.pdf Citizens' charter of the Goa University]
* [http://www.educationindiainfo.com Education in India]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Goa Vidyaprasarak Mandal — Goa Vidyaprasarak Mandal, founded in 1911, is one of the prominent educational institutions in Goa, a small state on the west coast of India. It runs two senior colleges, including a college of education, one higher secondary school, five high… … Wikipedia
Goa — गोंय Status: Bundesstaat Hauptstadt: Panaji … Deutsch Wikipedia
Goa Medical College — (GMC) is one of the oldest medical colleges in Asia, built by the Portuguese in 1842 as the Escola Medico Cirurgica de Goa . The college is located at Bambolim, in Goa, India. The college is affiliated to Goa University. Medicine was taught in… … Wikipedia
Goa — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name=Goa other name=गोंय state name=Goa type=state capital=Panaji latd = 15.493|longd=73.818 largest city=Vasco da Gama abbreviation=IN GA official languages=Konkani↑ legislature type=Unicameral legislature… … Wikipedia
Goa Institute of Management — Infobox University name =Goa Institute of Management native name = latin name = motto =Developing competence, Building commitment established =1993 type =Education and Research Institution endowment = staff = faculty = president = provost =… … Wikipedia
goa — /goh euh/, n. a gazelle, Procapra picticaudata, of the Tibetan plateau. [1840 50; < Tibetan gowa (sp. dgo ba)] * * * State (pop., 2001 prelim.: 1,343,998), southwestern India. Located on the western coast, it is bordered by Maharashtra and… … Universalium
Gôa — /goh euh/, n. a former district in Portuguese India, on the Arabian Sea, ab. 250 mi. (400 km) S of Bombay: annexed by India December 1961; now part of the union territory of Goa, Daman, and Diu. * * * State (pop., 2001 prelim.: 1,343,998),… … Universalium
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga — Motto Latin: Faciemus Established 1886 Type Public university … Wikipedia
Goa, Camarines Sur — Infobox Philippine municipality infoboxtitle = Municipality of Goa sealfile = locatormapfile = Ph locator camarines sur goa.png| caption = Map of Camarines Sur showing the location of Goa region = Bicol Region (Region V) province = Camarines Sur… … Wikipedia
Goa (antelope) — Taxobox name = Goa (Tibetan Gazelle) status = NT | status system = IUCN3.1 trend = down regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Mammalia ordo = Artiodactyla familia = Bovidae subfamilia = Antilopinae genus = Procapra species = P.… … Wikipedia