- Crumb Duck
Crumb Duck EP by Stereolab & Nurse With Wound Released 1993 Genre Post-rock Label Clawfist (UK)/United Dairies (UK) Producer Steven Stapleton & Steve Mack Stereolab & Nurse With Wound chronology Crumb Duck
Simple Headphone Mind
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 
Stereolab guitarist Tim Gane detailed the circumstances surrounding this collaboration to The Wire in 1997 (issue 164) whilst undertaking the magazine's "Invisible Jukebox" feature (alongside Lætitia Sadier). Gane stated that he had invited sole permanent NWW member Steven Stapleton to produce Stereolab's debut album (later released as Peng!). However, Gane stated that Stapleton had refused on the grounds that the group were "too rock" but had agreed to undertake a remix for the group instead. Stapleton surprised Gane by producing a letter he had written to NWW some years previously, which he had marked as the 15th piece of correspondence he had received regarding his group (also The Wire, issue 164). According to a newsletter issued by Stereolab's Duophonic Records, part of the agreement was that Stereolab would not get to hear the finished results until after the record had been pressed and released.
"Exploding Head Movie" is a Stapleton remix of a section of the 18 minute album version of the "Jenny Ondioline" single (as heard on Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements). "Animal or Vegetable (A Wonderful Wooden Reason ......)" saw Stapleton playing the vocal track in reverse and adding several layers of wild distorted guitar to the lengthy middle section before applying his familiar tape collage methods to the coda. The original version of this track has not been released. An homage to the German group Faust is provided by the subtitle to "Animal or Vegetable" -- "A Wonderful Wooden Reason." The latter references a line from the lyrics of "Meadow Meal," a track on Faust's first album self-titled Faust (1971). Stapleton provided the distinctive cover image but around 30 copies came with sleeves hand drawn by members of Stereolab.
Stereolab later included both tracks on their Refried Ectoplasm compilation which remains in print. NWW, for their part, issued a Crumb Duck CD, adding 2 tracks from a 7" single NWW had previously issued on the Clawfist label and an outtake. A vinyl edition of this expanded reissue was also made available but both formats went out of print when NWW's distributor, World Serpent Distribution, went out of business. NWW also included "Animal Or Vegetable" on their The Swinging Reflective compilation.
- "Animal or Vegetable (A Wonderful Wooden Reason ......)" (Tim Gane, Laetitia Sadier, Steve Stapleton) – 13:34
- "Exploding Head Movie" (Gane, Sadier) – 4:48
- "Steel Dream March of the Metal Men" – 5:39
- "The Dadda's Intoxication" – 6:25
- "Exploding Head Movie" – 4:48
- "Animal or Vegetable (A Wonderful Wooden Reason ......)" – 13:34
- "A New Dress (remix)" – 9:43
(Only tracks 3 and 4 feature Stereolab; all other tracks by Nurse With Wound.)
- Denis Blackham – Mastering
- Tim Gane – Guitar, Farfisa Organ, Group Member
- Mary Hansen – Vocals
- David Kenny – Guitar, Engineer, Mixing
- Steve Mack – Engineer
- Sean O'Hagan – Organ
- Colin Potter – Engineer, Mixing, Sound Manipulation
- Laetitia Sadier – Vocals
- Babs Santini – Cover Art
- Steve Stapleton – Organ, Guitar, Harmonica, Percussion, Loops, *Mixing, Pedals, Tapes, Ring Modulator, Generator
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ "crumb duck". Stereolab Official Site. Stereolab. http://www.stereolab.co.uk/discography/?no=11. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- ^ Mike Barnes (October 1997). "Invisible Jukebox". The Wire. pp. 38.
- ^ a b "Crumb Duck". NWW Official Site. Nurse With Wound. http://brainwashed.com/common/htdocs/discog/cf20.php?site=nww. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- ^ "1971: Faust: Clear". Records. The Faust Pages. http://www.faust-pages.com/records/clear.html. Retrieved 2007-05-07.
- ^ "World Serpent to stop". Side Line. 2004-08-23. http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=2840_0_2_0_C. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- ^ "The Swinging Reflective: Favourite Moments of Mutual Ecstasy". NWW Official Site. Nurse With Wound. http://www.brainwashed.com/common/htdocs/discog/ud069.php?site=nww. Retrieved 2007-05-07.
- ^ "refried ectoplasm". Stereolab Official Site. Stereolab. http://www.stereolab.co.uk/discography/?no=75. Retrieved 2007-05-07.
- ^ "simple headphone mind". Stereolab Official Site. Stereolab. http://www.stereolab.co.uk/discography/?no=30. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "Crumb Duck". Stereolab. All Media Guide/All Music. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r303657. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "Crumb Duck". NWW Official Site. Nurse With Wound. http://brainwashed.com/common/htdocs/discog/cf20.php?site=nww. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "crumb duck". Stereolab Official Site. Stereolab. http://www.stereolab.co.uk/discography/?no=11. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
Heeman Pathak • John Fothergill
AlbumsChance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella • To the Quiet Men from a Tiny Girl • Merzbild Schwet • Insect and Individual Silenced • Homotopy to Marie • The Sylvie and Babs Hi-Fi Companion • Spiral Insana • Alas the Madonna Does Not Function • Soliloquy for Lilith • A Sucked Orange • Thunder Perfect Mind • Crumb Duck • Simple Headphone Mind • Shipwreck Radio Volume One • Shipwreck Radio Volume Two • Shipwreck Radio: Final Broadcasts Collaborators Related articles See also: Nurse with Wound list
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Crumb Duck — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Crumb Duck EP de Stereolab Nurse With Wound Publicación 1993 Género(s) Post rock Música expe … Wikipedia Español
Crumb Duck — EP par Stereolab Nurse With Wound Sortie 1993 Genre Post rock Producteur Steven Stapleton Steve Mack Label Clawfist United Dairies … Wikipédia en Français
Down and Dirty Duck — For other uses, see Dirty Duck (disambiguation). Down and Dirty Duck DVD cover. Directed by Charles Swenson Produced by Jerry D. Good Roger … Wikipedia
Robert Crumb — Infobox Comics creator name = Robert Crumb imagesize = caption = birthname = Robert Dennis Crumb birthdate = birth date and age|1943|8|30 location = Philadelphia, Pennsylvania deathdate = deathplace = nationality = American area = Artist, Writer… … Wikipedia
Simple Headphone Mind — Infobox Album | Name = Simple Headphone Mind Type = ep Artist = Stereolab Nurse With Wound Cover size = 180 Released = 1997 Recorded = Genre = Post rock Length = Label = Duophonic (UK) Reviews = Producer = Steven Stapleton This album = Simple… … Wikipedia
Nurse with Wound — Steven Stapleton live with Nurse with Wound at Avantgarde Festival 2008, Schiphorst, 4 July 2008 Background information Origin London, United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Refried Ectoplasm — Infobox Album Name = Refried Ectoplasm Type = compilation Artist = Stereolab Released = July 1995 (US) Recorded = Length = Label = Duophonic Records (UK) Drag City (US) Flying Nun Records (New Zealand) Producer = Reviews = * Allmusic Rating|4.5|5 … Wikipedia
Simple Headphone Mind — EP de Stereolab Nurse With Wound Publicación 1997 Género(s) Post rock Música experimental Discográfica Duophonic … Wikipedia Español
Nurse With Wound — Жанр Индастриал Краут рок Авангард Экспериментальный рок Годы 1977 по сей день … Википедия
Stereolab — Infobox musical artist Name=Stereolab Img capt=Lætitia Sadier of Stereolab playing a Moog synthesizer during a live performance Background=group or band Years active=1990–present Origin=London, England Associated acts=McCarthy, Monade, Snowpony,… … Wikipedia