- Roddy Doyle
name = Roddy Doyle
birthdate = birth date and age|df=yes|1958|5|8
Kilbarrack, Dublin, Ireland
occupation = Novelist and Dramatist
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha
website =Roddy Doyle ( _ga. Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill, born 8 May 1958 in
Dublin) is an Irish novelist, dramatistand screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with " The Commitments" in 1991. He won the Booker Prizein 1993.
Doyle grew up in
Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geographyteacher before becoming a full-time writer in 1993.
The Barrytown Trilogy":
The Commitments" (1987, film 1991) — A group of Dublin teenagers, led by Jimmy Rabbitte Jr., decide to form a soul band in the tradition of James Brown.
** "The Snapper" (1990, film 1993) — Jimmy's sister, Sharon, becomes pregnant. She is determined to have the child but refuses to reveal the father's identity to her family.
** "The Van" (1991, shortlisted for the 1991
Booker Prize, film 1997) — Jimmy Sr. is laid off, as is his friend Bimbo. Bimbo buys a used fish and chips van and the two go into business for themselves.
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha" (1993, winner of the 1993 Booker Prize) — The world as described, understood and misunderstood by a ten-year-old Dubliner.
The Woman Who Walked into Doors" (1996) — A story of a battered wife, narrated by the victim; despite her husband's increasingly violent behaviour, she defends him, using the classic excuse "I walked into a door" to explain her bruises.
The Last Roundup":
A Star Called Henry" (1999) — The story of Henry Smart from his childhood till early twenties.
Oh, Play That Thing!" (2004) — Henry Smart's adventure into United States.
* "Paula Spencer" (2006) — Ten years after "The Woman Who Walked into Doors", its protagonist returns.
* "The Slave" — Middle-aged man reads "Cold Mountain" and obsesses over a dead rat.
* "Home to Harlem" — A quarter-black Irish student researches his paper idea in Harlem and looks for relatives.
McSweeney'sQuarterly Concern #16.
* "Teaching" — Reflections of a spent, alcoholic teacher. "
The New Yorker," 2 April 2007.
* "Black Hoodie" — Three students conduct an experiment on racial profiling by store security. McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #23, May 2007.
* "The Dog" — A man ponders the gradual erosion of his marriage. "New Yorker," 5 November 2007.
* "The Deportees" — A short-story collection published in early 2008.
* "Bullfighting" — Four middle-aged friends from Ireland take a week's vacation in Spain and reflect on life. "New Yorker," 28 April 2008 [http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/04/28/080428fi_fiction_doyle]
* "The Child" — An insomniac is constantly plagued by intrusive visions of a boy. "McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories," 2004.
* "Rory and Ita" — About Doyle's parents
* "Brownbread" (1987)
* "War" (1989)
* "The Woman Who Walked into Doors" (2003)
* Rewrite of "
The Playboy of the Western World" (2007) with Bisi Adigun
* " Family" (1994) —
BBCserial which was the forerunner of the 1996 novel "The Woman Who Walked Into Doors".
* "When Brendan Met Trudy" (2000) — An amusing, light-hearted tale of romance between a timid schoolteacher (Brendan) and a spunky thief (Trudy).
Not Just for Christmas" (1999)
The Giggler Treatment" (2000)
Rover Saves Christmas" (2001)
The Meanwhile Adventures" (2004)
* "Wilderness" (2007)
Research work about the author
* "An Indecency Decently Put: Roddy Doyle and Contemporary Irish Fiction", by
Niall McArdle(M.A. thesis, 1994, University College, Dublin)
* "La réécriture de l'histoire dans les Romans de Roddy Doyle,
Dermot Bolgeret Patrick McCabe" by Alain Mouchel-Vallon (PhD thesis, 2005, Reims University, France). [http://www.sudoc.abes.fr]
* [http://www.irishwriters-online.com/roddydoyle.html Author page at Irish Writers Online]
* [http://www.english.emory.edu/Bahri/Doyle.html Roddy Doyle: Author Biography] Postcolonial Studies At Emory.
* [http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,1144626,00.html Roddy Doyle's verdict on James Joyce's Ulysses]
* [http://www.salon.com/books/feature/1999/10/28/doyle/index.html The Salon Interview: Roddy Doyle]
* [http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/roddy-doyle/ Roddy Doyle At Fantastic Fiction]
* [http://www.metacritic.com/books/authors/doyleroddy/paulaspencer Reviews of Paula Spencer (2006)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Roddy Doyle — Roderick Doyle (* 8. Mai 1958 in Dublin, Irland) ist ein irischer Schriftsteller und Drehbuchautor. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Roddy Doyle — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Roddy Doyle Roddy Doyle (nacido en mayo de 1958 en Dublín) es un novelista, dramaturgo y guionista Irlandés. Varios de sus libros se han convertido en películas exitosas, comenzando con The Com … Wikipedia Español
Roddy Doyle — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Doyle. Roddy Doyle est un écrivain irlandais né en mai 1958 à Dublin. Il a écrit d … Wikipédia en Français
Doyle — ist der Name folgender Personen: Adrian Doyle (* 1936), australischer römisch katholischer Bischof Arthur Conan Doyle (1859–1930), britischer Arzt und Schriftsteller Avril Doyle (* 1949), irische Europapolitikerin Brian Doyle Murray (* 1945), US… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Doyle, Roddy — ▪ 1995 Irish schoolteacher turned novelist Roddy Doyle was busy on both sides of the Atlantic in 1994. In January he toured the U.S. to support the American release of his novel Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (1993), which had won the 1993 Booker… … Universalium
Doyle — This article is about the surname Doyle ; for other uses, see Doyle (disambiguation). Doyle is a surname of Irish origin. The name is a Anglicisation of the Gaelic Ó Dubhghaill, meaning descendant of Dubhghall . The personal name Dubhghall… … Wikipedia
Roddy — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Roddy est un prénom diminutif de Roderic Prénom Roddy Bottum est un musicien américain. Roddy Darragon est un skieur de fond spécialiste du sprint… … Wikipédia en Français
Doyle — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sommaire 1 Patronyme 2 Prénom 3 … Wikipédia en Français
Doyle — [dɔɪl], 1) Sir (seit 1902) Arthur Conan, englischer Schriftsteller, * Edinburgh 22. 5. 1859, ✝ Crowborough (Sussex) 7. 7. 1930. Doyle war zunächst Arzt. Er wurde weltberühmt mit seinen Kriminalromanen und erzählungen, in deren Mittelpunkt… … Universal-Lexikon
Graham Doyle — is an Irish soccer player who was born in Dublin on January 19, 1974. He is currently assistant manager at Monaghan United in the League of Ireland First Division.CareerHe started his career with Home Farm Everton before moving on to Shelbourne.… … Wikipedia