- Martin Green (professor)
He was born in Brisbane and was educated at the selective Brisbane State High School, graduated from University of Queensland and completed his PhD on a Commonwealth Scholarship at McMaster University in Canada, where he specialised in solar energy. In 1974, at the University of New South Wales, he initiated the Solar Photovoltaics Group which soon worked on the development of silicon solar cells. The group had their success in the early 80s through producing a 20% efficient silicon cell, which now has been improved to 25%.
He has published several books on solar cells both for popular science and deep research, and has been recognized with different awards.
He also serves on the Board of the Sydney-based Pacific Solar Pty Ltd. (now known as CSG Solar), as Research Director.
His portrait was painted with fellow scientist, Ross Garnaut for the Archibald Prize 2010. The painting was a finalist, losing to a portrait of Tim Minchin.
Buried contact solar cell
The “buried contact solar cell” was developed at UNSW in 1984.
Awards received by Martin Green
- 1982 Pawsey Medal (Australian Academy)
- 1988 Award for Outstanding Achievement in Energy Research
- 1990 IEEE Cherry Award
- 1992 CSIRO External Medal
- 1995 IEEE Ebers Award
- 1999 Australia Prize
- 2000 Gold Medal from the Spanish Engineering Academy.
- 2000 Medal of Engineering Excellence for Distinguished Achievement in the Service of Humanity from the World Engineering Federation (Hannover, 2000),
- 2000-Millennium Award from the World Renewable Congress
- 2002 Right Livelihood Award
- 2003 Karl Böer Solar Energy Medal of Merit Award from the University of Delaware
- 2006 Finalist, European Inventor of the Year (together with Stuart Wenham)
- 2008 Winner, 2008 Scientist of the Year Award
- 2009 Zayed Future Energy Prize finalist, recognized at the award ceremony for his ground breaking research in photovoltaic (PV) technology that will result in increased efficiencies, bringing solar energy closer to grid parity.
- Andrew Blakers
- Shi Zhengrong
- Solar Cell
- Solar energy
- Solar power in Australia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Martin Green — may refer to: Martin Green (professor) (born 1948), pioneer in solar cells Martin Green (author) (born 1932), scholar and author Martin E. Green (1815–1863), Confederate brigadier general in the American Civil War Martin Green, accordionist in… … Wikipedia
Martin Fischer — may refer to: Martin Fischer (automobile designer) (1867–1947), designer of Turicum and Fischer brand names Martin Fischer (tennis) (born 1986) Martin Fischer Dieskau (born 1951), German conductor John Martin Fischer, professor of philosophy… … Wikipedia
Green (name) — Family name name = Green imagesize= caption= pronunciation = meaning = region = origin = varied related names = Greene footnotes = [ [http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names files.html 1990 Census Name Files ] ] Green is common surname… … Wikipedia
Martin Grene — For those of a similar name, see Martin Green. Martin Grene (1616–1667), was an English Jesuit. Grene, son of George Grene, probably a member of one of the Yorkshire families of the name, by his wife Jane Tempest, is said by Southwell to have… … Wikipedia
Martin Miller (Czech actor) — Martin Miller Born Rudolph Muller September 2, 1899(1899 09 02) Kremsier, Moravia, Austria Hungary, now Kroměříž, Czech Republic Died Aug … Wikipedia
Professor Moriarty — Sherlock Holmes character Professor Moriarty, illustration by Sidney Paget which accompanied the original publication of The Final Problem . Last appearance … Wikipedia
Martin Weitzman — Born April 1, 1942 (1942 04 01) (age 69) Nationality … Wikipedia
Martin Ryle — Born 27 September 1918(1918 09 27) Brighton, England Died 14 October 1984(1984 10 14) … Wikipedia
Martin Chalfie — Martin Chalfie … Deutsch Wikipedia
Martin Durkin (television director) — Martin Durkin is a television producer and director, most prominently of television documentaries for Channel 4 in Britain. He is managing director of WAG TV, a London based independent TV production company. He has produced, directed and… … Wikipedia