- Bench (metonymy)
- In legal contexts, the bench is the location where judges sit while in court, often specified after the type of court, e.g. county bench (in both UK and US), or one of several bodies of magistrates (elsewhere known by other terms, e.g. a chamber, division or senate) assigned to certain types of litigation, e.g. Kings Bench Division
- The location where members of Parliament sit while in session. More specific types of benches are also metonymic:
- The front bench comprises senior Government ministers and opposition spokespeople, while junior Members sit on the back benches.
- Members from the political party or parties which make up the Government sit on the government benches, to the Speaker's right.
- The government benches occupied by ministers are called the ministerial or treasury benches. These are faced by the opposition benches.
- Minority parties and independents, who sit on the side, not on the government or opposition benches, are referred to as crossbenchers.
- The location where athletes sit when not in a game.
Sources and references
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bench — A bench is a long seat fit for several people, with or without back and/or arm rests, for sitting indoor (often in rows) or outdoor (as in a park). Benches are most often found in bus stops, parks, and cafeterias. Some benches are dedicated as a… … Wikipedia
Bench (furniture) — For metonymic and other uses see Bench (metonymy) and Bench A bench is a piece of furniture, which mostly offersseveral persons seating. As a rule, benches are made of wood, but one can also find stone benches and benches made of synthetic… … Wikipedia
Metonymy — or Metronomy ( /mɨˈt … Wikipedia
Crossbencher — A crossbencher is an independent or minor party member of some legislatures, such as the British House of Lords and Australian Senate. They take their name from the crossbenches, between and perpendicular to the government and opposition benches … Wikipedia
Pine (disambiguation) — Pine may refer to: Vegetation *Pine, coniferous trees classified in the genus Pinus *Other coniferous trees, such as Norfolk Island Pine, Araucaria heterophylla and Wollemi Pine, Wollemia nobilis *Screw pine, various species of plants in the… … Wikipedia
Senate — Senator and Sen. redirect here. For other uses, see Senator (disambiguation). The Senate redirects here. For the Northern Soul band, see The Senate (band). The Curia Julia in the Roman Forum A senate is a deliberative assembly, often the upper… … Wikipedia
substitution — I (New American Roget s College Thesaurus) Serving in place of another Nouns 1. substitution, commutation; supplanting, supersedure, supersession, replacement; metonymy (see figurative); interchange; transfer. 2. (substitute object or action)… … English dictionary for students