Walnut Street (NJT station)


Walnut Street (NJT station)
Walnut Street
Walnut street station.png
Eastbound platform, the station building is in the background on the left
Station statistics
Address 25 Depot Square
Montclair, NJ 07042
Coordinates 40°49′02″N 74°12′35″W / 40.8173°N 74.2098°W / 40.8173; -74.2098Coordinates: 40°49′02″N 74°12′35″W / 40.8173°N 74.2098°W / 40.8173; -74.2098
Lines
Connections DeCamp: 33
Platforms 2 low level side platforms
Tracks 2
Parking 198 spots in 4 lots
Bicycle facilities parking rack
Other information
Opened 1873
Rebuilt 1952
Electrified September 30, 2002
Accessible Handicapped/disabled access
Code 1737[1]
Owned by New Jersey Transit
Fare zone 5
Formerly Montclair-Erie Plaza
Traffic
Passengers (2010) 912 (average weekday) decrease 11.95%
Services
Preceding station   NJ Transit Rail   Following station
Montclair-Boonton Line
Preceding station   Erie Railroad   Following station
Glen Ridge
New York and Greenwood Lake Railroad
Watchung Avenue
toward Sterling Forest

Walnut Street is a New Jersey Transit station on Walnut Street at Depot Square in Montclair, New Jersey along the Montclair-Boonton Line. This is the most used station on the Montclair-Boonton Line.

Walnut Street is the second or fifth (depending the station of origin) of six stops that are in Montclair along the Montclair Branch section of the Montclair-Boonton line. It gets its name from the street that crosses the railroad tracks next to the station. It has a farmers' market in its parking lot during from the summer to the early fall. The station has a restaurant, the "Erie Saloon" in the station house.

History

The former Erie Plaza station in Montclair as viewed in 1909. This station was demolished in 1953

Built in 1873 by the Montclair Railway, the station was the Erie Railroad's main station in Montclair. The station was formerly known as Erie Plaza. It is located at the corner of Walnut Street and Depot Square, and is in the Walnut street business district.[2] In 1953, the current building was erected and the old station was demolished. In 1973 a freight train derailed at the station. The Montclair Connection, which merged the Montclair Branch and the Boonton Line, is a few streets after the station.

References

External links


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.