- Safford Regional Airport
name = Safford Regional Airport
IATA = SAD
ICAO = KSAD
type = Public
operator = City of Safford
elevation-f = 3,177
elevation-m = 968.3
coordinates = Coord|32|51|12|N|109|38|06|W|type:airport_region:US|display=inline,title
r1-number = 12/30
r1-length-f = 6,015
r1-length-m = 1,833
r2-number = 8/26
r2-length-f = 4,800
r2-length-m = 1,463
r2-surface = Asphalt
h1-number = H1
h1-length-f = 72
h1-length-m = 22
Originally the Civilian Pilot Training Airport or Wickersham Airport was convert|3|mi|km south of Safford, where the fairgrounds are today. Safford Regional Airport as we know it was built as a military auxiliary field during
World War II. On November 11, 1941, a 20-year lease for the airport site was given to the City of Safford by the U.S. Government. By March 8, 1946the airport site was transferred to the City of Safford on a permanent basis.
Safford Regional Airport is the only paved airport in Graham County.
* 11/12/49 Land acquisition, construction of access road and cattle guard, fencing.
* 6/19/50 Installation of medium intensity runway lighting (MIRL) on NE/SW runway, modification of lighting service and control segmented circle and lighted wind cone, construction of curbs for auto parking, fencing.
* 9/22/50 Installation of convert|10|in|mm|sing=on clear- green rotating beacon
* 6/20/52 Construct water supply and distribution system, convert single phase electrical system to 3 phase.
* 11/8/74 Overlay and mark Runway 12/30 (approximately convert|4800|ft|m by 75 feet) and taxiway (approximately convert|2800|ft|m by 40 feet); pave aircraft parking apron (approximately 22,000 sq yd)
* 03/1981 Install MIRL; 12/30
* 07/1981 Construction of parking Apron
* 9/6/83 Construct medium intensity taxiway lighting (MITL), place guidance signs and mark parallel taxiway (approximately convert|370|ft|m by 35 feet), install Visual Approach Slope Indicators (VASI-2) and runway edge identifier lights (REIL), runway ends 12/30. Grading, drainage and surfacing of taxiway 12/30
* 9/1/86 Slurry seal runway 12/30
* 8/17/87 Reconstruct and mark runway 8/26 (approximately convert|75|ft|m by 4,800 feet), mark taxiway hold lines and grade 200 by convert|125|ft|m at both ends of the runway.
* 4/1/92 Extend taxiway B to runway 12/30 eastern end, crack seal and overlay existing taxiway A and B, install MITL along Taxiway C and extend taxiway B.
* 4/1/94 Reconstruct runway 12/30 excluding recent extension and construction of terminal parking lot.
* 1995 Pave auto parking lot.
* 1/1/96 Reconstruct and expand existing terminal apron.
* 1997 ASOS Weather Station Installed
* 1/1/98 Construct heliport, provide runway 8/26 pavement and airport fencing.
* Sectional chart: PHOENIX
* Control tower: no
* ARTCC: ALBUQUERQUE CENTER
* FSS: PRESCOTT FLIGHT SERVICE STATION [1-866-226-3763]
* NOTAMs facility: SAD (NOTAM-D service available)
* Attendance: MON-SAT 0700-1730, SUN 0700-1530
* Pattern altitude: convert|4177|ft|m|abbr=on MSL
* Wind indicator: lighted
* Segmented circle: yes
* Lights: DUSK-DAWN
* Beacon: white-green (lighted land airport)
* CTAF/UNICOM: 122.8
* WX ASOS: 124.175 (928-428-5178)
* APCH/DEP SERVICE PRVDD BY ALBUQUERQUE ARTCC ON FREQS 134.45/327.15 (SILVER CITY RCAG).
* Fuel available: 100LL JET-A
* FUEL AVBL AFTER HRS CTC (928) 552-0543.
* Parking: tiedowns
* Airframe service: MAJOR
* Powerplant service: MAJOR
* Bottled oxygen: NONE
* Bulk oxygen: NONE
Safford Regional Airport covers convert|630|acre|ha|0|lk=on and has two
runways and one helipad:
* Runway 8/26: 4,800 x 75 ft (1,463 x 23 m), Surface:
* Runway 12/30: 6,015 x 100 ft (1,833 x 30 m), Surface:
* Helipad H1: 72 x 72 ft (22 x 22 m), Surface:
* [http://www.azdot.gov/aviation/airports/airports_list.asp?FAA=SAD Safford Regional Airport] (Arizona DOT web site)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.