- Recognition of same-sex unions in Chile
Legal recognition of
Marriage Performed in some jurisdictions Recognized, not performed Civil unions and
Performed in some jurisdictions Unregistered cohabitation Recognized in some jurisdictions See also LGBT portal
Chile currently does not recognize same-sex unions.
Presidential campaign pledges
During January 2006's presidential campaign both President Michelle Bachelet and center-right candidate Sebastián Piñera voiced their support for civil unions, but the Catholic Church and many members of Congress were opposed.
During his run-up to the presidency in 2009, Piñera vowed to end discrimination based on sexual orientation and included a gay couple in one of his televised campaign ads.
On 3 August 2010, senator Fulvio Rossi of the Socialist Party introduced a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in the country. During the first week of September 2010, several senators backing the bill stated they would withdraw their support after talks with members of the Evangelical Church, and instead announced support for a civil union bill introduced by senator Andrés Allamand.
In May 2011, president Piñera stated that he was in favor of an upcoming bill which would legalize a form of civil union; his stated intent was to “protect and safeguard [...] the dignity of those couples, whether of the opposite or even the same sex”.
Piñera introduced a bill to Congress in August 2011 allowing registered cohabitation. This would give unmarried partners many of the rights now enjoyed only by married couples, such as inheritance and certain social welfare and health care benefits. Piñera’s legislation proposed the creation of a Common-Law Agreement (Acuerdo de Vida en Pareja, AVP), which would allow same-sex couples to civilly register their partnership with a notary. Chile's national LGBT rights group, the Movement for Homosexual Integration and Liberation (MOVILH), said it was cautiously optimistic the measure would pass.
In response to the proposed legislation and potential legal battles brewing in the country's Constitutional Court, members of Chile's Independent Democrat Union introduced a constitutional amendment on 11 August 2011, that sought to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman.
Challenges in court
Chile's Constitutional Court heard arguments on 28 July 2011, regarding the constitutionality of Article 102 of the Civil Code that bans same-sex marriage. The Court is expected to rule on the constitutionality of the ban within a month of the hearing.
An April 2009 poll concluded that only 33.2% of Chileans were in favor of allowing same-sex couples to be married, with 65.2% opposed. However, support among young people was much higher: according to a study by the National Youth Institute of Chile, 56% of people aged between 15 and 29 supported same-sex marriage, while 51.3% supported same-sex adoption.
The July 2011 nation-wide CEP poll found that 52% of Chileans were in favor of granting legal rights to same-sex unions: 18% supported granting civil marriage to gay couples, while 34% preferred giving same-sex couples a "legal union". When the question is slightly rephrased, 57% of Chileans were against gay marriage where "the same rights as a heterosexual couple are guaranteed" and 27% in favor, while support for a "legal union" of same-sex couples was higher at 35%, with 57% against. In all questions, support for gay unions was higher among the younger and better educated. In the case of adoption of children by a lesbian couple, 24% were in favor and 61% against. Support was lower for male gay couples: 20% in favor and 64% against.
- ^ "::Boletín Trimestral del Observatorio Parlamentario::..Corporación Humanas". Observatorioparlamentario.cl. http://www.observatorioparlamentario.cl/boletines/1_trim_2011/01_10.html. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Presentaron el Pacto de Unión Civil en el Parlamento chileno". Agmagazine.info. 2009-10-14. http://www.agmagazine.info/2009/10/14/presentaran-el-pacto-de-union-civil-en-el-parlamento-chileno/. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Chile Senator Fulvio Rossi Introduces Gay Marriage Bill". Ontopmag.com. 2010-08-03. http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx?id=6155&MediaType=1&Category=24. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ Johnny Payne (29 May 2011). "Chile set to allow gay civil unions". PinkPaper.com. http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory/5427/29/05/2011/chile-set-to-allow-gay-civil-unions-.aspx.
- ^ Chile leader proposed civil unions, including gays[dead link]
- ^ "Chile President Sebastian Pinera proposed civil unions". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-08-10. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-14469625. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Acuerdo de vida en común": Conoce de qué se trata este proyecto de ley (Spanish) El Vacanudo. 12-08-2011.
- ^ "Chile Introduces Constitutional Gay Marriage Ban Amendment". Ontopmag.com. 2011-08-11. http://ontopmag.com/article.aspx?id=9184&MediaType=1&Category=24. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Chile’s same-sex marriage debate reaches Constitutional Court". Santiagotimes.cl. http://www.santiagotimes.cl/chile/human-rights-a-law/22085-chiles-same-sex-marriage-debate-reaches-constitutional-court. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ (04/24/09) (2009-04-03). "Most Chileans Reject Same-sex Marriage". Angus-reid.com. http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/most_chileans_reject_same_sex_marriage/. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Unión civil para gays y lesbianas anima debate electoral". Ipsnoticias.net. 2009-06-25. http://www.ipsnoticias.net/nota.asp?idnews=92541. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Presentación de PowerPoint" (PDF). http://www.injuv.gob.cl/pdf/sondeo_juventud_final.pdf. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Estudio Nacional de Opinión Pública, Junio-Julio 2011. Tema especial: Educación". Cepchile.cl. http://www.cepchile.cl/dms/lang_1/doc_4844.html. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
Recognition of same-sex unions in South America Sovereign states Dependencies and
- Falkland Islands
- French Guiana
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Recognition of same-sex unions in Brazil — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Recognition of same-sex unions in Australia — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Recognition of same-sex unions in Mexico — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Recognition of same-sex unions in Colombia — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Same-sex marriage legislation around the world — Same sex relationships legal … Wikipedia
Same-sex marriage — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland … Wikipedia
Same-sex marriage in Argentina — Crowd in support of same sex marriage Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage … Wikipedia
Same-sex marriage in Canada — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Same-sex marriage in the District of Columbia — Legal recognition of same sex relationships Marriage Argentina Belgium Canada Iceland Netherlands Norway Portugal South Africa Spain Sweden … Wikipedia
Same-sex marriage in Nova Scotia — Same sex marriage in Canada Legal Civil Marriage Act Reference re Same Sex Marriage … Wikipedia