- Typhoon class submarine
830 TK 17 Arkhangelsk
* 19.02.1988 entered 18th division (Zapadnaya Litsa) NOR.
* 08.01-09.11.2002 refit at Sevmash.
* In July 2002, crew petitioned Main Navy Headquarters to adopt the name Arkhangel'sk (renamed on 18.11.2002).
* Commander: 2002-2003 V.Volkov.
* Feb 17, 2004 took part in military exercises with President Putin aboard.
* 2005: Planned to be refitted to carry a new
SS-NX-30Bulava missile system.
TK 20 Severstal
* 28.02.1990 entered 18th division (Zapadnaya Litsa), NOR.
* 25.08.1996 successfully launched SLBM;
* 11.1996 successfully launched SLBM from North Pole.
* 24.07.1999 took part in parade on Navy Day in Severomorsk, NOR.
* 11-12.1999 - distant march. 2001 renamed to Severstal'.
* 06.2001-12.2002 repairs at Sevmash.
* Commander: A.Bogachev (2001).
* Decommissioned ? To be refitted with new SS-NX-30 Bulava missiles.
834 TK 208 Dmitry Donskoy
* 09.02.1982 entered 18th division (Zapadnaya Litsa), NOR.
* 12.1982 transferred from Severodvinsk to Zapadnaya Litsa.
* 1983-1984 tests D-19 missile complex. Commanders: A.V.Olkhovnikov (1980-1984).
* 03.12.1986 entered Navy Board of the Winners of the Socialist Competition.
* 18.01.1987 entered MoD Board of Glory.
* 20.09.1989 -1991 repairs and refit at Sevmash to project 941U. 1991 refit cancelled.
* 1996 returned to 941U refit.
* 2002 renamed to Dmitry Donskoy.
* 26.06.2002 end of refit.
* 30.06.2002 start of testing.
* 26.07.2002 entered sea trials, Re-entered fleet, sans missile system;
* December 2003: sea trials; refitted to carry a new Bulava missile system. New missile system expected to be operational 2005.
* 2005.10.09 successfully launched SS-NX-30 Bulava SLBM from surface.
* 2005.12.21 successfully launched SS-NX-30 Bulava SLBM from submerged position on move.
* 2006.09.07 Test launch of the Bulava missile failed after several minutes in flight due to the problems in the flight control system. The missile fell into the sea about a minute after the launch. The sub was not affected and was returning to Severodvinsk base submerged. Later reports blamed the engine of the first stage for the failure.
* 2006.10.25, test launch of the Bulava-M missile in the White Sea failed some 200 seconds after liftoff due to the apparent failure of the flight control system.
* 2008.08.28 undergone successful testing at the Sevmash shipyard in Severodvinsk, Arkhangelsk Oblast. More than 170 men are currently working with the Dmitrii Donskoy, hundred of them employees at the Sevmash plant and 70 from other involved companies.
Typhoon-based cargo vessel
The Submarine Cargo Vessel is a proposed idea by the
Rubin Design Bureauwhere a Typhoon has its missile launchers removed and replaced with cargo holds. The projected cargo capacity of this configuration is 15,000 tonnes.
Typhoon class submarines in fiction
Probably the most well-known fictional Typhoon class was the stealth submarine "Красный Октябрь" ("Krasnyy Oktyabr") ("Red October"). It is the subject of the
Tom Clancynovel " The Hunt for Red October" and the movie adaptation of that book.
In the novel, the "Red October" used a drive system consisting of long shafts cut through the hull with
impellers inside them, called a tunnel drive or caterpillar drive. In the movie, the caterpillar drive was instead said to be a Magnetohydrodynamic drive. In both the novel and the movie, the drive was said to be near-silent; this made the "Red October" a perfect platform for launching depressed-trajectory ballistic missiles at the United States. The book claims such launches would have minimal warning times and be extremely difficult to intercept.
The movie features what would have to be a Typhoon-II: The filming model is longer than an average Typhoon and features a towed sonar array (blimp on the rudder house), similar to the
Akula class submarineSSN.
Television and Video:
* A Typhoon class submarine also plays a part in the Japanese animated
OVAseries " Blue Submarine No. 6" ( Ao no Roku Gou. Blue no. 6). The Typhoon class submarine with a complement of 20 nuclear missiles was salvaged and intended to be used as a mine for the final strike against "Zorndyke".
* A Typhoon was also featured in the pilot episode of
SeaQuest DSVas a pirate submarine. Although the submarine class is not named, the Typhoon's distinctive hull form is unmistakable.
* 26 Typhoon-class submarines are observed deploying from
Severnomorskin a scene in the movie WarGames- many more than were ever in actual existence.
* A fictional Typhoon class submarine named the "Nikodim" is mentioned in "" as the drop zone for Artemis Fowl senior on the Kola Peninsula, although this submarine is one of over a hundred in the stretch of coast near Sevoromorsk.
* A Typhoon is featured in (and subsequently destroyed by) the 688I class submarine
USS Cheyennein the Clancy "novel" "SSN".
* A decommissioned Typhoon lying in a forgotten dry dock facility is the setting for a shootout between US Force Reconnaissance Marines and a group of mercenaries in the Matthew Reilly thriller 'Scarecrow'.
* Typhoon class submarines are available as naval units when playing the Soviet faction in the "" strategy game - however these were armed only with torpedoes, and were not ballistic missile submarines.
* In the game "", in the Cold War campaign only, the Soviets have Typhoon class submarines at their disposal. They are armed only with torpedoes, but are one of the most powerful naval units in the game, and are able to sink almost every enemy vessel with a single salvo.
* In the game "", the Consortium uses modified Typhoon class submarines, which are faster and harder to detect than the original ones. They are armed with torpedoes and cruise missiles, but they must surface and reveal themselves to fire missiles.
* In the game "", the Yuktobanian Navy's Submarine Command uses Typhoons as
radar picket submarinesfor the Hrimfaxi submarine aircraft carrier, which is located in the Razgriz Straits.
* The Typhoon class submarines are the largest and best armed in the
sharewaregame " SinkSub Pro". [http://www.wihlborg.se/sinksub_pro.php]
* During the introduction video of the game "Freedom Fighters", several Typhoon-class submarines are seen approaching
New York City.
* 3 Typhoon-class submarines are seen docked at Murmansk, Russia, in the PC game
World in Conflict.
Intercontinental ballistic missile
Submarine-launched ballistic missile
Submarine Cargo Vessel
* "Ohio"-class submarine
* [http://sonicbomb.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=259 Video] of the Typhoon SSBN.
* [http://www.ais.org/~schnars/aero/nato-shp.htm NATO Code Names for submarines and ships]
* [http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/slbm/941.htm Federation of American Scientists: Typhoon]
* [http://www.hazegray.org/features/russia/typhoon.htm Haze Gray]
* [http://www.thebulletin.org/article_nn.php?art_ofn=ma05norris NRDC Nuclear Notebook - Russian Nuclear Forces, 2005]
* [http://www.ckb-rubin.ru/eng/project/submarine/aplsbr/index.htm Rubin official site]
* [http://russianforces.org/navy/ russianforces.org - Russian Navy]
* [http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/russia/941.htm globalsecurity.org]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Delta class submarine — Delta IV class nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine. The Delta class (Project 667B) is a class of submarines which formed the backbone of the Soviet and Russian strategic submarine fleet since its introduction in 1973. They carry nuclear… … Wikipedia
Akula class submarine — Project 971 Щука Б ( Shchuka B , Shchuka meaning pike, NATO reporting name Akula ), is a nuclear powered attack submarine (SSN) first deployed by the Soviet Navy in 1986. The class is sometimes erroneously called the Bars class, after one of its… … Wikipedia
Borei class submarine — Russian Borei class submarine Yuriy Dolgorukiy on sea trials Class … Wikipedia
Ohio class submarine — USS Michigan Class overview Name: Ohio Builders: General Dynamics Electric … Wikipedia
Oscar class submarine — Class overview Builders: SEVMASH, Severodvinsk Operators … Wikipedia
November class submarine — Class overview Name: project 627 / 627A / 645 Builders: shipyard No. 402 in … Wikipedia
Romeo class submarine — Class overview Builders: Krasnoye Sormovo Shipyard, Gorky Wuchang Shipyard (Wu … Wikipedia
Charlie class submarine — … Wikipedia
Vanguard class submarine — The Vanguard class are the Royal Navy s current nuclear ballistic missile submarines (Ship Submersible Ballistic Nuclear or SSBN), each armed with up to 16 Trident II Submarine launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs). The class was introduced in 1994 … Wikipedia
Seawolf class submarine — The Seawolf class attack submarine (SSN) was the intended successor to the Los Angeles class, ordered at the end of the Cold War in 1989. At one time, an intended fleet of 29 submarines was to be built over a ten year period, later reduced to… … Wikipedia