- John Gates
John Gates, born Solomon Regenstreif in
New York Cityin 1913, was a prominent American Communist from 1939 to 1958. He died on 23 May, 1992at the age of 78 in Miami Beach, Florida. While a student at City College of New York, he became interested in communismand joined the Young Communist League, USA(YCL). He was active in the campaign to free the Scottsboro Boys. Upon leaving college, he first worked with unemployed workers in Ohio.
Spanish Civil Warbroke out, he joined the Abraham Lincoln Brigadeand fought in Spain. He rose to battalion commissar of the Lincoln-Washington Battalion and was known as a strict disciplinarian. He later admitted he had gone somewhat overboard. In 1938 he was involved in the controversial decision to execute a deserter, Paul White.
Returning to the
United States, Gates became leader of the Young Communist League. Later, he was the editor of the " Daily Worker" and, in an editorial policy which put him at odds with the Party leadership, he took liberal positions embracing Nikita Khrushchev's criticisms of Stalin [http://www.trussel.com/hf/onleave.htm] and opposing the Soviet Union's suppression of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. Party leaders were particularly upset by his support of Howard Fast, a prominent writer who was quite critical of the Soviet Union and soon after also left the Communist Party.
However, the "Daily Worker" was in deep trouble with significant losses in circulation due to a general disenchantment with communism, by both
workers and intellectuals, and pressure from McCarthyism. Confronted with deep deficits and its inability to control Gates, on 22 December, 1957the Party suspended publication of the paper as a daily, the last issue appearing 13 January, 1958.
Gates resigned from the Party in January 1958, claiming that it had "ceased to be an effective force for
democracy, peace, and socialismin the United States."
* Dennis, Eugene and John Gates. "What America needs; a Communist view". New Century Publishers, New York. March, 1956.
* Gates, John. "On guard against Browderism, Titoism, Trotskyism". New Century Publishers, New York. 1951.
* Gates, John. "The Story of an American Communist". Introduction by
Earl Browder. Thomas Nelson & Sons, 1958, hardcover, 221 pages, available [http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearch?an=john+gates&tn=story+american+communist&sortby=2&cf=MOREREFINE online at ABE]
* United States. District Court. New York (Southern District). "The case of United States of America v. William Z. Foster, Eugene Dennis John B. Williamson, Jacob Stachel, Robert G. Thompson, Benjamin J. Davis, Jr., Henry Winston, John Gates, Irving Potash, Gilbert Green, Carl Winter, Gus Hall". National Civil Rights Congress, New York. 1948, 56p
* [http://www.bartleby.com/63/11/8011.html Statement on leaving the Communist Party]
* [http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPgates.htm Brief biography]
* Adapted from the Wikinfo article, "John Gates" http://www.wikinfo.org/wiki.phtml?title=John_Gates March 14, 2004
* [http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19920526&slug=1493842 John Gates, 78, U.S. Communist] . "The Seattle Times" (May 26, 1992). Retrieved August 9, 2008.
* [http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE4DC153AF937A15756C0A964958260 John Gates, 78, Former Editor of The Daily Worker, Is Dead] . "The New York Times" (May 24, 1992). Retrieved August 9, 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gates (surname) — Gates is a surname, and may refer to:PeopleThe Gates family of Seattle, Washington, is prominent due to the financial success of Bill Gates and his company, Microsoft. Members of this family include:* Bill Gates (born 1955), Chairman of Microsoft … Wikipedia
John Powell (Leichtathlet) — John Gates Powell (* 25. Juni 1947 in San Francisco) ist ein ehemaliger US amerikanischer Leichtathlet. John Powell stellte 1975 einen Weltrekord im Diskuswurf auf, seine Bestweite von 71,26 m stammt aus dem Jahr 1984. Erfolge Vierter mit 62,82… … Deutsch Wikipedia
John Dudley — John Duddley John Duddley general, almirante y político inglés. Nombre real John Duddley Otros títulos Duque de … Wikipedia Español
John Powell (athlete) — John Powell (athlète) Pour les articles homonymes, voir John Powell et Powell. John Gates Powell, né le 25 juin 1947 à San Francisco, est un ancien athlète américain, lanceur de disque. Il a été détenteur du record du monde de cette discipline… … Wikipédia en Français
John powell (athlète) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir John Powell et Powell. John Gates Powell, né le 25 juin 1947 à San Francisco, est un ancien athlète américain, lanceur de disque. Il a été détenteur du record du monde de cette discipline avec un lancer à 69.08 m … Wikipédia en Français
John Powell (athlete) — John Gates Powell (born June 25, 1947 in San Francisco) is a former American athlete. John Powell set the 1975 world record (69.08) in the discus throw, his personal best, set later, is 72.08 m in 1984. It puts him eighth in the all time… … Wikipedia
John Powell (Diskuswerfer) — John Gates Powell (* 25. Juni 1947 in San Francisco) ist ein ehemaliger US amerikanischer Leichtathlet. John Powell stellte 1975 einen Weltrekord im Diskuswurf auf, seine Bestweite von 71,26 m stammt aus dem Jahr 1984. Erfolge Vierter mit 62 … Deutsch Wikipedia
John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland — For other people named John Dudley, see John Dudley (disambiguation). John Dudley Born 1504 London … Wikipedia
Gates family — The Gates family refers to the members of Microsoft founder and chairman Bill Gates s family and relatives who include: * William Henry Gates, Sr., his father * Mary Maxwell Gates, his mother ** Kristi (Kristianne) Gates Blake, his sister **… … Wikipedia
John Powell — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Powell. Cette page d’homonymie répertorie différentes personnes partageant un même nom. John Powell, compositeur britannique de musiques de films John Gates Powell (né en 1947), athlète américain John… … Wikipédia en Français