- Project Runway (season 3)
Project Runway Season 3 Host Heidi Klum and the Project Runway Season 3 contestants Winner Jeffrey Sebelia Original run July 12, 2006
– October 18, 2006
Filming dates No. of episodes 15 No. of tasks 13 No. of designers 15 Season chronology Previous Season 2 Next Season 4
Project Runway Season 3 was the third season of Project Runway, Bravo's successful reality competition for fashion designers. The third season of the show, with Heidi Klum returning as the host and Tim Gunn as the designers' guide, began airing on July 12, 2006. This broke tradition from the previous two seasons, which premiered in December, with the finales taking place at Olympus Fashion Week in February.
Season 3 brought in a new set of sponsors, notably Macy's replacing Banana Republic. NBC re-aired the first two episodes of Project Runway 3 five days after their original Bravo airings. The third season also introduced live viewer poll questions. During the second half-hour of the first airing of each episode, Bravo posed a question to viewers pertaining to the current episode. Viewers could answer through the BravoTV.com website or through cell phone text message.
The winner, Jeffrey Sebelia, received a spread in Elle magazine, a mentorship with INC (Inter-National Concepts) Design, a year of representation by Designers Management Agency, a 2007 Saturn Sky Roadster, and $100,000 to start a clothing line (furnished by TRESemmé haircare).
Season 3 contestants
Name Age Notable background Residence Bradley Baumkirchner 32 Designed for Speedo Los Angeles, CA Laura Bennett 42 Architect and mother of six New York, NY Robert Best 36 Barbie designer who also worked for Isaac Mizrahi West Hollywood, CA Malan Breton 32 Rejected applicant for Project Runway season 1; turned down offer to appear on Project Runway season 2 Long Island City, NY Bonnie Dominguez 31 Athletic apparel designer; has designed tennis outfits for Serena Williams San Diego, CA Stacey Estrella 40 Has MBA from Harvard San Francisco, CA Katherine Gerdes 23 Design coordinator at Target and certified snowboarding instructor Minneapolis, MN Kayne Gillaspie 27 Rejected applicant for Project Runway season 2; Owns a pageant boutique Norman, OK Uli Herzner 35 Stylist, Trained as a physical therapist and is originally from (East) Germany Miami Beach, FL Alison Kelly 25 Designs for her own label called Dahl Clothes Brooklyn, NY Angela Keslar 33 Organic farmer Amesville, OH Michael Knight 28 Rejected applicant for Project Runway season 2 Atlanta, GA Vincent Libretti 49 Women's designer Santa Monica, CA Keith Michael 34 Menswear designer New York, NY Jeffrey Sebelia 36 Designed for rock musicians Los Angeles, CA
- (ages listed are the designers' ages at the time the show was taped in the spring of 2006.)
The 15 models competing for an Elle spread in the third season were:
Model Amanda Fields Alexandra Donhoeffner Camilla Barungi Candace Pritchard Clarissa Anderson Danielle Schriffen Javi Hairston Jia Santos Katia Biassou Katie Champion Lindsay Bien Aime Marilinda Rivera (Winner) Moon Yung Nazri Segaro Toni Heath
Season 3 challenges
Designer Elimination Chart 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 2 12 3 13 4 14 15 Episode Jeffrey IN LOW IN IN HIGH IN HIGH LOW WIN WIN LOW LOW IN IN WINNER 15 - Finale, Part 2 Uli IN IN HIGH WIN LOW IN IN HIGH LOW HIGH LOW WIN IN IN RUNNER-UP Laura IN HIGH IN IN HIGH IN HIGH LOW HIGH LOW WIN IN IN IN 2ND RUNNER-UP Michael IN IN IN IN HIGH WIN WIN HIGH HIGH LOW HIGH LOW IN IN 3RD RUNNER-UP Kayne IN IN WIN IN LOW HIGH LOW LOW LOW LOW OUT 11 - Black and White Vincent IN LOW LOW IN LOW LOW LOW WIN LOW OUT OUT 10 - Couture du Jour / 11 - Black and White Angela IN IN LOW LOW WIN HIGH IN LOW OUT OUT 9 - High Flying Fashion / 11 - Black and White Robert IN HIGH HIGH IN LOW LOW IN OUT 8 - Everyday Woman Alison IN IN IN HIGH HIGH IN OUT 7 - Waste Not, Want Not Bradley IN IN IN HIGH LOW OUT 6 - Iconic Statement Bonnie IN IN HIGH IN OUT 5 - Reap What You Sew Keith IN WIN IN LOW DQ1 Katherine IN IN LOW OUT 4 - Designer's Best Friend Malan IN IN OUT 3 - Fit for a Queen Stacey IN OUT 2 - Wall to Wall Fashion
- The designer won the challenge.
- The designer came in second for that challenge, but did not win.
- The designer had one of the highest scores for that challenge, but did not win.
- The designer had one of the lowest scores for that challenge, but was not eliminated.
- The designer was in the bottom two, but was not eliminated.
- The designer lost and was out of the competition.
- The designer was disqualified from the competition.
- The designer won Project Runway Season 3.
- The designer was the runner-up in the finale.
- Keith's design had high score, but was penalized because not make an outfit for the dog.
- ^Note 1 : Keith was disqualified.
- ^Note 2 : Designers previously eliminated who won a challenge were brought back to compete in this challenge.
- ^Note 3 : No contestants were eliminated, and all went on to compete at Fashion Week.
- ^Note 4 : This episode was the reunion.
Fashion Model Competition
Model Elimination Chart Model 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Finale Marilinda IN IN IN IN IN IN IN WIN WIN IN IN WINNER Nazri WIN IN IN IN WIN WIN IN IN IN IN WIN OUT Camilla IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN WIN IN OUT Clarissa IN IN IN WIN IN IN IN IN IN IN OUT Lindsay IN IN WIN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN OUT Amanda IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN OUT Javi IN IN IN IN OUT IN OUT Jia IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN WD Alexandra IN IN IN IN IN IN IN OUT Danielle IN IN IN IN IN IN IN OUT Katie IN IN IN IN IN OUT Katia IN WIN IN IN OUT Toni IN IN IN OUT Moon IN IN OUT Candace IN OUT
- The model won Project Runway Season 3.
- The model wore the winning design that challenge.
- The model wore the losing design that challenge.
- The model was eliminated.
- The model was eliminated, but was brought back.
- The model withdrew from the competition.
Model selection process:
- Episode 1: Models were randomly assigned to designers.
- Episodes 2 and 4: Designers chose their models, with the winner of the previous challenge choosing first and the other designers choosing in random order.
- Episode 3 and 6: The winner of the previous challenge was allowed to change his model. All other designers kept their previous model.
- Episode 5: Models were chosen in random order and picked their designers. Two models were eliminated in this episode to match the elimination of one designer and the disqualification of another in the previous episode.
- Episode 7: Models are the designers' mothers and sisters; designers could not choose their own family member.
- Episode 8: Designers chose their models, with the winner of the previous challenge choosing first and the other designers choosing in random order. Two models were eliminated because no models were used in the previous episode.
- Episode 9: New models were randomly assigned in Paris.
- Episode 10: Jia was involved in a bicycle accident and was not able to walk down the runway for Vincent. Javi, a previously eliminated model, took her place. Jia was out for the rest of the competition while she recovered. All other designers used their models chosen in Episode 8.
- Episode 11: Designers chose their models from the remaining seven, with the winner of the previous challenge choosing first and the other designers choosing in random order. Because three designers were eliminated in the previous challenge, three models were eliminated for this challenge.
- Finale: Two previously eliminated models, Amanda and Alexandra, were used in two of the final designers' collections. Amanda was used in Uli's final collection, and Alexandra was used in Michael's final collection.
Episode 0: Road to Runway Season 3
Tim Gunn and a panel of fashion professionals, which include previous Project Runway designers, interview thousands of possible contestants for the third season of Project Runway. Previous winners and contestants are profiled since the airing of previous seasons.
- One hour casting special before the Season 3 premiere.
- First aired July 20, 2006
Simone LeBlanc, Steven Rosengard and Jillian Lewis (from Season 4), Daniel Feld (from Season 5) and Gordana Gehlhausen (from Season 6) were semi-finalists for Season 3.
In the beginning of this episode, Gordana Gehlhausen can be seen briefly during the Los Angeles casting call, saying "literally if you give me a sheep, I'll give you a sweater".
Seth Aaron Henderson, the Season 7 winner, even though not a semi-finalist for the 3rd season, can be seen while Tim critiques his designs as "student work".
Episode 1: Wall to Wall Fashion
The designers arrive in New York and are asked to create an outfit in just two days using only materials found in their apartments. All items found in the apartment must fit into a large bag and the designer who touches the object first gets it. This challenge requires the designers to create garments that innovate, best reflect who they are as a fashion designer, and are judged accordingly. All of the designers are randomly assigned models. The winner has immunity for the next challenge and cannot be eliminated.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors; and Kate Spade, fashion designer.
- WINNER: Keith
- OUT: Stacy
- First aired July 12, 2006
Episode 2: Fit for a Queen
The remaining designers are asked to create a formal evening gown for guest judge and 2006 Miss USA Tara Conner in just two days and $300 USD. The winning dress will be worn in competition by Tara in the Miss Universe 2006 pageant. This challenge requires the designers to be placed in teams of two with Tara Conner choosing seven team leaders. All of the designers are allowed to swap models. The winner has immunity for the next challenge and cannot be eliminated.
The seven teams were:
- Uli and Bonnie
- Jeffrey and Alison
- Kayne and Robert
- Laura and Michael
- Vincent and Angela
- Malan and Katherine
- Keith and Bradley
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Vera Wang; and Tara Conner, Miss USA 2006.
- WINNER: Kayne (teamed with Robert Best)
- OUT: Malan (teamed with Katherine Gerdes)
- First aired July 19, 2006
Episode 3: Designer's Best Friend
The remaining designers are asked to create an outfit and story for a dog and its owner in just two days and $150 USD. The winner has immunity for the next challenge and cannot be eliminated.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Vera Wang; and Ivanka Trump, VP Real Estate Development at Trump Organization.
- WINNER: Uli
- OUT: Katherine
- First aired July 26, 2006
Episode 4: Reap What You Sew
The remaining designers are asked to create a three-piece outfit for Macy's in-house INC brand in just two days and $100 USD. All designers are allowed to swap models. Four designers are chosen by guest judge Mehmet Tangoren as team leaders, must work in teams of three, and can choose any model in their team. The winning design will be manufactured, produced, and sold at Macy's largest stores nationwide. The winner does not have immunity for this challenge.
The teams (leaders in bold):
- Angela, Laura and Michael
- Keith, Jeffrey and Alison
- Robert, Kayne and Vincent
- Bonnie, Uli and Bradley
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Vera Wang; and Mehmet Tangoren, VP of Contemporary Sportswear at Macy's.
- WINNER: Angela (teamed with Laura Bennett and Michael Knight)
- OUT: Bonnie (teamed with Bradley Baumkirchner and Uli Herzner)
- DISQUALIFIED: Keith
- First aired August 2, 2006
Keith Michael Rizza was found to have guides that could potentially be used as outside resources in a closed competition. These guides included fashion "how-to" books including basic pattern making textbooks as well as fashion history books. Additionally, Keith left production unattended for several hours during promotional filming after a quarrel with the other designers. Keith left to go to his boyfriend's apartment to send an e-mail to Bravo's producer. However, this is also a means for disqualification because he used the internet. Any contact outside the competition is prohibited unless monitored by Bravo production. Any outside documents or materials related to fashion or fashion design are prohibited during competition. Once these claims were brought to the producers' attention, it was decided Keith knowingly broke the rules stated in a signed contract and was asked to leave the show. Keith Michael is the first Project Runway contestant to be disqualified from the series. After his disqualification, Jeffrey Sebelia and Alison Kelly were the only team who lost their leader in this challenge.
Episode 5: Iconic Statement
The remaining designers are asked to modernize a look for a "fashion icon" in just two days and $150 USD. The winner of this challenge will feature their look and model in a print advertisement for TRESemmé in Elle magazine. This challenge allowed remaining models to be randomly selected to choose a designer they wanted to work with. Models would then choose a portrait which indicates the icon they want the designer to modernize. The fashion icons are: Cher, Farrah Fawcett, Pam Grier, Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Madonna, Marilyn Monroe, Jackie Onassis, Diana Ross, and Twiggy. The winner does not have immunity for this challenge.
The designers (in bold) and fashion icons:
- Bradley, Cher
- Alison, Farrah Fawcett
- Michael, Pam Grier
- Angela, Audrey Hepburn
- Laura, Katharine Hepburn
- Jefferey, Madonna
- Kayne, Marilyn Monroe
- Robert, Jackie Onassis
- Uli, Diana Ross
- Vincent, Twiggy
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors; and Diane von Furstenberg, fashion designer.
- WINNER: Michael (icon: Pam Grier)
- OUT: Bradley (icon: Cher)
- First aired August 9, 2006
Episode 6: Waste Not, Want Not
The remaining designers are asked to create an outfit in just one day using only materials found at the Waste Management Recycle America Center in Port Newark, New Jersey and $25 USD for materials found at an art supplies store. This challenge requires the designers to create garments that innovate and are judged accordingly. The winner has immunity for this challenge.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors; and Rachel Zoe, celebrity fashion stylist.
- WINNER: Michael
- OUT: Alison
- First aired August 16, 2006
- Michael is the third person to win 2 challenges in a row behind Daniel V. from season 2, and Kara from season 1.
Episode 7: Everyday Woman
The remaining designers are asked to create outfit for an "everyday woman" in just one day and $150 USD. The remaining designers' mothers and sisters are used as the clients and models for this challenge. Each designer cannot pick their own mother or sister. The winner does not have immunity for this challenge.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors; and Joan Kors, Michael Kors' mother.
- WINNER: Vincent
- OUT: Robert
- First aired August 23, 2006
Episode 8: High Flying Fashion
The remaining designers are asked to create and model an "international jet-set" outfit for themselves in just one day and $75 USD. This challenge requires the designers to create garments that travel well and are tested for wearability as the designers are flown to Paris. There were two runway presentations; one in Paris for Catherine Malandrino judging wearability, and the New York panel. The winner has immunity for this challenge.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors; Francisco Costa, creative director for Calvin Klein women's collection; and Catherine Malandrino, fashion designer.
- WINNER: Jeffrey
- OUT: Angela
- First aired August 30, 2006
Episode 9: Couture du Jour
The remaining designers are asked to create an evening gown in just two days and 300€ Euro ($375 USD) employing Haute couture techniques. Designers workroom is held at Parsons Paris. There were two runway presentations: one for guest judge Catherine Malandrino with Parisian models, and the New York panel. The winner does not have immunity for this challenge.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors, and fashion designers Catherine Malandrino and Richard Tyler.
- WINNER: Jeffrey
- OUT: Vincent
- First aired September 6, 2006
- Jeffrey is the fourth person to win 2 challenges in a row behind Michael also from season 3, Daniel V. from season 2 and Kara from season 1.
Episode 10: Black and White
The designers are asked to create a cocktail dress using only black and white fabrics with only one day and $100 USD. An additional challenge requires designers to incorporate all of the fabric purchased into the outfit. Previously eliminated designers who have won at least one previous challenge are allowed back into the competition and are able to stay only if they win this challenge. Previously eliminated designers Angela Keslar and Vincent Libretti are invited back to compete. There was some controversy, especially towards Angela, who had won when teamed with 2 designers who were still in. Keith won the first challenge, so if not for being disqualified, he could have been eliminated and still played this challenge. Three designers are eliminated. Had one of the two previously eliminated contestants won the challenge, they would have stayed, and two designers who had not previously been eliminated would have left, along with the other who had left. However, while neither Angela nor Vincent had the worst garment, neither won. The winner does not have immunity for this challenge.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors; and Zac Posen, designer.
- WINNER: Laura
- OUT: Angela, Vincent, and Kayne
- First aired September 13, 2006
Episode 11: What the ELLE?
The remaining designers are asked to create an outfit that expresses "their specific point of view as a designer" in just two days and $250 USD. The winner of this challenge has his or her look and model featured in US Elle magazine's "First Look" page photographed by Gilles Bensimon. All of the designers are allowed to swap models. The designers must create a photo-shoot with their models and find three words that best expresses who they are as designers. The designers are given a one-sheet for their three words and photo to be judged. The chosen designers will show a 12 piece collection during Olympus Spring Fashion Week. This is the final challenge and there is no immunity for this challenge.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors; and Teri Agins, lead fashion writer for The Wall Street Journal.
- WINNER: Uli
- OUT: None: All four designers advanced to Olympus Fashion Week.
- First aired September 27, 2006
Episode 12: Reunion
- All of the Season 3 designers gathered for a reunion hosted by Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum on the eve of New York Fashion Week, at which the final four designers will display their collections. When confronted about his elimination, Keith insisted not only that the books in question were planted in his room after he had relinquished them to the producers, but that he was absent from the production with permission, thus suggesting he was sabotaged, a charge Tim Gunn dismissed as unlikely. Finalist Michael Knight won $10,000 in the "Bravotv.com Fan Favorite" contest.
- Judges: N/A
- WINNER/OUT: N/A
- First aired October 4, 2006
Episode 13: Finale - Part 1
The remaining designers are asked to create a 12-piece fashion collection featured at the Bryant Park tents for Spring 2006 New York Olympus Fashion Week with only two months and $8,000 USD. Tim Gunn travels to visit each of the remaining designers respective studios to critique each designer's progress. The designers then return to New York with a week remaining to finish their collections in a work room provided by show sponsor Macy's.
- Judges: N/A
- WINNER/OUT: N/A
- First aired October 11, 2006
Episode 14: Finale - Part 2
The remaining designers finish their collections and all of the designers show and are judged in the Bryant Park tents for Spring Olympus Fashion Week with no decoy collection. Collections were judged based on execution, innovation, and originality. The winning designer receives an editorial spread in Elle magazine, a mentorship with Macy's in-house INC (International Concepts) Design studio, a year of representation by Designers Management Agency (DMA), a 2007 Saturn Sky Roadster, and $100,000 stipend to start a clothing line. The winning model is featured and photographed in a fashion spread for US Elle magazine.
- Judges: Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Michael Kors, and Fern Mallis, founder of New York Fashion Week.
- WINNER of Project Runway Season 3: Jeffrey Sebelia.
- OUT: Michael (3rd runner-up), Laura (2nd runner-up), Uli (1st runner-up)
- Winner of PR3 model competition: Marilinda Rivera.
- First aired October 18, 2006
- Project Runway official web site
- TRESemme Beyond the scenes at the Project Runway Finale
- Robert Best at Angelicdreamz.com
- Malan Breton official site
- Bonnie Dominguez official site
- Katherine Gerdes official site
- Ulrike "Uli" Herzner official site
- Kayne Gillaspie official site
Project Runway winner
Project Runway Seasons Personnel CreatorEli Holzman Judges Winners Finalists International versionsDesignerspirene · Muodin huipulle (1 · 2) · Project Catwalk (Netherlands) · Project Catwalk (UK) (1 · 2 · 3) · Project Runway Australia (1 · 2 · 3) · Project Runway Arab World · Project Runway Canada (1 · 2) · Project Runway Israel · Project Runway Korea · Project Runway Latin America · Project Runway Malaysia · Project Runway Philippines (1 · 2) · Projecto Moda Spin-offs Related
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Project Runway (season 4) — Project Runway Season 4 Heidi Klum, Tim Gunn, Nina Garcia, and Michael Kors, along with Project Runway Season 4 contestants Winner Christian Siriano Original run November 14, 2007 – March 5, 2008 Filming dates … Wikipedia
Project Runway (season 7) — Project Runway Season 7 Winner Seth Aaron Henderson Original run January 14, 2010 – April 22, 2010 Filming dates June 2009 – July 2009 February, 2010 No. of episodes 15 … Wikipedia
Project Runway (season 5) — Infobox Television Project Runway season name = Project Runway Season 5 caption = Heidi Klum, Tim Gunn, Nina Garcia, and Michael Kors, along with Project Runway Season 5 contestants first aired = July 16,2008 Present last aired = filming started … Wikipedia
Project Runway (season 2) — Infobox Television Project Runway season name = Project Runway Season 2 caption = Heidi Klum and the Project Runway Season 2 contestants first aired = 2005 12 07 last aired = 2006 03 06 filming started = June 2005 filming completed = winner =… … Wikipedia
Project Runway (season 1) — Infobox Television Project Runway season name = Project Runway (Season 1) caption = Host of the show Heidi Klum and season 1 contestants. first aired = December 2004 last aired = February 2005 filming started = filming completed = winner = Jay… … Wikipedia
Project Runway (Temporada 5) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Project Runway season 5 Título original Proyecto Pasarela 5 Género Reality Show, Competencia … Wikipedia Español
Project Runway (Temporada 3) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Project Runway season 3 Título original Proyecto Pasarela 3 Género Reality Show, Competencia … Wikipedia Español
Project Runway (Temporada 4) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Project Runway season 4 Título original Proyecto Pasarela 4 Género Reality Show, Competencia … Wikipedia Español
Project Runway (Temporada 2) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Project Runway season 2 Título original Proyecto Pasarela 2 Género Reality Show, Competencia … Wikipedia Español
Project Runway (Temporada 6) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Project Runway season 6 Título original Proyecto Pasarela 6 Género Reality Show, Competencia … Wikipedia Español