- Southwest corner of Western Australia
:"This article is about the drainage division; :*"For the governmental region, see South West:*"For the ecoregion, see
The south-west corner drainage region of
Western Australiais one of only two temperate and relatively fertile parts of mainland Australia. It covers about 140,000 square kilometres, or a little less than 2% of the continent. For comparison, this is about the same size as North Carolinaor a little larger than England.
The landscape is generally flat and sandy but there are several major features, in particular the
Stirling Rangenear Albany, which reach 1096 metres at their highest point, and the Darling Scarp.
The climate is temperate Mediterranean. Summers are warm to hot and dry, winters are cool and wet. Mountains near the coast concentrate rainfall in that area, with parts of the extreme south-western corner receiving as much as 1,400 mm per year (about 56 inches). Away from the coast, however, precipitation drops rapidly, with inland areas averaging about 250 mm per year (10 inches).
ee also - drainage divisions
Western Australian drainage divisions include:-
* Indian Ocean drainage division: see
Pilbara region of Western Australia
* Timor Sea drainage division: see
Top Endand Kimberley region of Western Australia
Other Australian drainage divisions include:-
Gulf of Carpentaria
Australian north-east coast drainage division
Australian south-east coast drainage division
South Australian gulf drainage division
Lake Eyre Basin
ee also - river catchments
List of watercourses in Western Australia
List of rivers of Australia
* Beard, J. S. (1999) "Evolution of the river systems of the south-west drainage division, Western Australia." Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, Dec. 1999, p. 147-164'
* Olsen, Graeme. and Skitmore, E. "The state of the rivers of the South West Drainage Division" Leederville, W.A : Western Australian Water Resources Council, 1991. Water resource perspectives Publication ; no. 2/91 ISBN 0730937275
* Schofiled, N.J. et al ( 1989) "Vegetation strategies to reduce stream salinities of water resource catchments in southwest Western Australia : prepared for the Steering Committee for Research on Land Use and Water Supply" Leederville, W.A : Water Authority of Western Australia . Report (Water Authority of Western Australia) ; no. WS 33. ISBN 0730917746
* South West Catchments Council "South West regional strategy for natural resource management" Bunbury, W.A.: South West Catchments Council ISBN 0975729705
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Southwest, Western Australia — The Southwest is a loosely defined area in the southwest corner of Western Australia. Various regionalisations have provided formal definitions of the area, but these do not coincide.* For the governmental region, see South West (Western… … Wikipedia
Western Australia — Coordinates: 26°0′S 121°0′E / 26°S 121°E / 26; 121 … Wikipedia
History of Perth, Western Australia — This article details the History of Perth from the first human activity in the region to the 20th century. The article covers aspects of all of the Perth metropolitan area, including the modern CBD. The city of Perth in Western Australia was… … Wikipedia
Perth, Western Australia — Perth, Australia redirects here. For the town in Tasmania, see Perth, Tasmania. For other uses, see Perth (disambiguation) and Perth, Western Australia (disambiguation). Perth Western Australia … Wikipedia
South West (Western Australia) — This article is about a governmental division; for other uses, see Southwest, Western Australia. The South West region is one of the nine regions of Western Australia. It is so named because it located in the south west corner of Western… … Wikipedia
Geography of Western Australia — Western Australia occupies nearly one third of the Australian continent.Due to the size and the isolation of the state, considerable emphasis has been made of these features; it is the second largest administrative territory in the world, after… … Wikipedia
Hamersley, Western Australia — Infobox Australian Place | type = suburb name = Hamersley city = Perth state = wa caption = View east from Benjafield Way towards ABC tower lga = City of Stirling area = 3.267 postcode= 6022 pop = 4,965 (2006 census) dist1 = 14 | dir1 = NNW |… … Wikipedia
Nannine, Western Australia — Nannine Western Australia Nannine Townsite 2008 … Wikipedia
Victoria Park, Western Australia — Infobox Australian Place | type = suburb name=Victoria Park city=Perth state=wa caption=Albany Highway in central Victoria Park lga=Town of Victoria Park area=2.6 postcode=6100 pop=6,980 (2001 census) [2001 Census, Australian Bureau of… … Wikipedia
East Cannington, Western Australia — Infobox Australian Place | type = suburb name = East Cannington city = Perth state = wa caption = lga = City of Canning area = 2.8 postcode = 6107 pop = 3,025 (2001 census)Cite web |url=http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3218.0Main%20F… … Wikipedia