- Hugh Wood
Hugh Wood (born
27 June 1932, Parbold, UK) is a British composer.
While Wood was brought up in a musical family, it was only after graduating in History from Oxford that he decided to dedicate his energies to composition; and he moved to London in 1954 to study with
William Lloyd Webber, Anthony Milner, Iain Hamilton, and Mátyás Seiber. Sometimes violently expressionistic, sometimes poignantly lyrical, his music is powerfully communicative and intensely felt, although when exploring lighter moods, such as in the jazzy Piano Concerto, his writing is equally eloquent. He typically prefers chamber music genres, though several of his large-scale works, such as his Symphony and Violin Concerto, are amongst his most striking. In recent years he has contributed several articles on music to The Times Literary Supplement.
* 1965 - highly acclaimed Proms premiere of BBC commission "Scenes from Comus".
* 1969 - Proms premiere of "Cello Concerto", commissioned by the BBC.
* 1982 - Proms premiere of "Symphony" by the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
* 1998 - UK premiere of "Variations for Orchestra" at Last Night of the Proms.
* 1999 - "Serenade and Elegy" premiered at Cheltenham Festival.
* 2001 - "The Lindsays" premiere String Quartet No 5 in Sheffield.
* "Variations for viola and piano, Op 1" (1958)
* "Chamber Concerto, Op 15" (1971; large ensemble)
* "Robert Graves Songs, Set 1, Op 18" (1976; high voice, piano)
* "String Quartet No 3, Op 20" (1978)
* "Horn Trio, Op 29" (1989)
* "Piano Concerto, Op 32" (1991)
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2441&State_2934=2&discId_2934=1249 "Scenes from Comus; Symphony Op 21 "] - NMC D070
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2441&State_2934=2&discId_2934=1154 "String Quartet Nos 1-4 "] - Conifer 75605 51239-2
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2441&State_2934=2&discId_2934=586 "Violin Concerto; Cello Concerto "] - NMC D082
* [http://www.chesternovello.com/Default.aspx?TabId=2431&State_2905=2&composerId_2905=1765 Hugh Wood's homepage at Chester Music]
* [http://classicalsource.com/db_control/db_concert_review.php?id=989 2002 interview with Hugh Wood for Classical Source]
* [http://www.boydell.co.uk/55608716.HTM Staking Out the Territory and Other Writings on Music] , a collection of articles and essays by Hugh Wood.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hugh Wood (cricketer) — Hugh Wood was a first class cricketer. A slow left arm orthodox spinner and right handed lower order batsman, he appeared in 10 matches for Cambridge University in 1878 and 1879 and 10 for Yorkshire CCC in 1879 and 1880. He also appeared for the… … Wikipedia
Hugh Simon — Nacimiento Inglaterra, Reino Unido Año debut 1988 presente Ficha en IMDb Hugh Simon es un actor y productor británico; mejor conocido por su papel como Malcolm Wynn Jones en el drama de espionaje Spooks/MI5 … Wikipedia Español
Hugh Lloyd — Nombre real Hugh Lewis Lloyd Nacimiento 22 de abril de 1923 … Wikipedia Español
Hugh Cross — Mandats Gouverneur adjoint de l Illinois 3 janvier 1941 – 3 janvier 1949 Prédécesseur John Stelle Successeur … Wikipédia en Français
Hugh Sawyer — (born 1973) is a working professional who has decided to spend an extended period of time with his only home being in an undisclosed wood in Oxfordshire. Hugh Sawyer is most famously known as Ditch Monkey or Original Ditch Monkey (ODM). The… … Wikipedia
Hugh Marlowe — Dans Ève (1950) Données clés Nom de naissance … Wikipédia en Français
Hugh of Sleat — (died 1498) was an illegitimate son [ [http://www.thepeerage.com/p14697.htm#i146966 thePeerage.com Person Page 14697 ] ] of Alexander MacDonald, 10th Earl of Ross and Lord of the Isles. Hugh was known as Uisdean in Gaelic [Pronounced as Ooshdn or … Wikipedia
Hugh Gibson — Hugh S. Gibson (August 16, 1883 – December 12, 1954), Career diplomat and “career humanitarian” ( New York Times , December 13, 1954), was actively involved in disarmament talks from 1925 to 1932, and (together with such colleagues as ambassadors … Wikipedia
Hugh Jackman — Données clés Nom de naissance Hugh Michael Jackman Surnom … Wikipédia en Français
Hugh A. Haralson — Hugh Anderson Haralson (* 13. November 1805 bei Penfield, Greene County, Georgia; † 25. September 1854 in LaGrange, Georgia) war ein US amerikanischer Politiker. Zwischen 1843 und 1851 vertrat er den Bundesstaat Georgia im US… … Deutsch Wikipedia