- Continuity of government
Nuclear weapons Nuclear-armed states
COG was developed by the British government during World War II to counter the threat of Luftwaffe bombing during the Battle of Britain. The need for continuity-of-government plans gained new urgency with nuclear proliferation.
The Centre d'Opération des Forces Aériennes Stratégiques (COFAS) is a hardened command center for French nuclear forces in Taverny, Val d'Oise. The alternate national command center is located at Mont Verdun near Lyon.
The Norwegian government operate a nuclear bunker called Sentralanlegget in Buskerud County. The bunker is meant to accommodate the Norwegian Royal Family and the government in case of a nuclear/military attack on the nation, and also function as a wartime headquarters.
During the Cold War the Klarna skyddsrum (Klarna bunker) was built underneath Stockholm. The bunker is designed to accommodate two thirds of the government and between 8000 to 12000 civilians in the case of a military attack on Stockholm.
It is built in two stories and have multiple entrances. During peace time parts of it is used as a garage.
The primary British COG headquarters is at the Ministry of Defence in Whitehall. An alternate national command center was previously maintained in a quarry complex (nicknamed Hawthorn) near Corsham, Wiltshire. The above-ground support facility is RAF Rudloe Manor.
Service command centers are Northwood for the Royal Navy Trident SSBN force, and RAF High Wycombe for the Royal Air Force.
- Each facility is counterpart to its peacetime equivalent.
- Raven Rock Mountain Complex → The Pentagon (Department of Defense)
- Mount Weather → Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) (Used temporarily for Members of Congress in Sept. 2001)
- Camp David → Executive Office of the President
- Unknown → United States Congress (The Greenbrier was to be used until 1992, when it was decommissioned)
- Cheyenne Mountain → North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD)
- United States Strategic Command Center (Offutt Air Force Base) → United States Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM)
- Former site:
- Also, mobile systems are used for additional command and control.
- E-4, EC-135, and E-6 are all airborne command centers.
- Air Force One is the term for any USAF plane the President of the United States travels on. However, the term normally refers to a Boeing VC-25A the President normally uses. While the VC-25A is equipped with numerous systems to ensure its survival, in an emergency, it would be recommended that he use the National Airborne Operations Center, a Boeing E-4 specially built to serve as a survivable mobile command post. The Secretary of Defense may also use it, as a member of the National Command Authority. It is also possible that the President would authorize the Vice President to use it, depending on the circumstances.
- An E-6 Mercury, is USSTRATCOM's Airborne Command Post, designed to take over in case USSTRATCOM's headquarters is destroyed or incapable of communicating with strategic forces.
- NORAD owns and operates a Mobile Consolidated Command Center
- Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Decapitation strike
- Disaster recovery
- Government in exile
- Shadow government
- Temporary capital
- Continuity of Government Commission
- Continuity of Operations Plan
- Designated survivor
- National Security and Homeland Security Presidential Directive
- Wartime Information Security Program
- Each facility is counterpart to its peacetime equivalent.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Continuity of Government Commission — The Continuity of Government Commission is a think tank set up in 2002 to recommend improvements on the constitutional and statutory provisions for the continuity of government in the United States. It was set up by the American Enterprise… … Wikipedia
Continuity of Operations Plan — Continuity of Operations (COOP) is a Federal initiative, required by Presidential directive, to ensure that agencies are able to continue performance of essential functions under a broad range of circumstances. National Security Presidential… … Wikipedia
Government in exile — GiE redirects here. For other uses, see GiE (disambiguation). A government in exile is a political group that claims to be a country s legitimate government, but for various reasons is unable to exercise its legal power, and instead resides in a… … Wikipedia
Continuity Irish Republican Army — (Óglaigh na hÉireann) Participant in The Troubles and Dissident Irish Republican Campaign 1998 Present A CIRA propaganda p … Wikipedia
Government Accountability Office investigations of the Department of Defense — are typically audits in which the Government Accountability Office (GAO), the United States Congress’ investigative arm, studies how the Department of Defense spends taxpayer dollars. Since the GAO is accountable only to the legislative branch,… … Wikipedia
continuity — noun ADJECTIVE ▪ greater ▪ remarkable ▪ unbroken ▪ After centuries of unbroken continuity, the landscape was being changed out of all recognition. ▪ cultural … Collocations dictionary
government budget — Forecast of governmental expenditures and revenues for the ensuing fiscal year. In modern industrial economies, the budget is the key instrument for the execution of government economic policies. Because government budgets may promote or retard… … Universalium
Government of Canada — The Canadian Government, formally Her Majesty s Government in Canada, [ [http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cpsc ccsp/fr rf/couronne crown canada/06 600crown of maples e.pdf MacLeod, Kevin S.; A Crown of Maples ; Queen s Printer for Canada;… … Wikipedia
Government of India Act 1935 — The Government of India Act 1935 ( 26 Geo. 5 1 Edw. 8 c. 2 ) was the last pre independence constitution of the British Raj. The significant aspects of the act were: * It granted Indian provinces autonomy and ended the dyarchy introduced by the… … Wikipedia
Government warehouse (fiction) — The Government Warehouse is a plot device used in movies, television series, and novels, a scenario used in role playing games, and a belief of some conspiracy theorists. The concept is that there is a secret government warehouse where various… … Wikipedia