infobox historic subdivision
Name= Lincolnshire, Parts of Lindsey
HQ= Newland, Lincoln
Government= Lindsey County Council
Kingdom of Lindsey
"Arms of the former Lindsey County Council"
Lindsey was a unit of local government until 1974 in
Lincolnshire, England, covering the northern part of the county. The Isle of Axholme, which is on the west side of the River Trent, has normally formed part of it. It originated with the Kingdom of Lindseyin Anglo-Saxon times, whose territories were merged with that of Stamford to form Lincolnshire.
Lindsey was itself divided into three ridings, the North, West and South Ridings, and then into
wapentakes. The West Riding covered the western part, including Gainsborough, Scunthorpeand Spital. The North Riding covered the north-east, including Barton upon Humber, Caistor, Cleethorpes, Brigg, Grimsby, and Market Rasen. The South Riding covered the rest, in the south-east, including Louth, Mablethorpeand Skegness. The point at which the Ridings touched was somewhere near Lissington. [http://www.roffe.freeserve.co.uk/lindsey.htm] Lindsey, like the other parts of Lincolnshire had long had a separate county administration ( Quarter Sessions). In 1889, this division was followed in the establishment of the administrative county of Lincolnshire, Parts of Lindsey, which had an elected county council. Lincoln and Grimsbywere independent county boroughs.
Within the rest of Lindsey there were various
urban districts and rural districts, established by the Local Government Act 1894. The rural districts were Caistor, Gainsborough, Glanford Brigg, Grimsby, Horncastle, Isle of Axholme, Louth, Spilsby, Welton. A rural district of Sibsey also existed until 1936, when it was merged into Spilsby.
The Humberside phase
The Parts of Lindsey lasted until
April 11974 when, as a result of the Local Government Act 1972, the northern zone (not the North Riding) of Lindsey was placed in the newly-formed non-metropolitan countyof Humbersidewhile a new Lincolnshire authority took over the remainder.
The original Lindsey was divided into six
non-metropolitan districts, as follows
The map to the right, shows the districts of the now-defunct Humberside. The highlighted one is Glanford. To its east is Cleethorpes which surrounds Grimsby. To Glanford's west is Boothferry and the
enclavewithin Glanford is Scunthorpe.
In 1996 these Humberside districts were re-grouped into unitary authorities. In other words, the new units perform the duties of both county and administrative district.
North Lincolnshire(centred on Scunthorpe). This is the former districts of Glanford and Scunthorpe, as well as the Isle of Axholme which had become the southern part of Boothferry.
*The second is
North East Lincolnshirecomprising the former districts of Great Grimsby and Cleethorpes.
The two unitary authorities represent the most urbanized part of traditional Lincolnshire.
List of places
Burgh le Marsh
Isle of Axholme
*cite book|last=Vince|first=Alan (ed.)|title=Pre-Viking Lindsey|year=1993|publisher=City of Lincoln Archaeology Unit|location=Lincoln|id=ISBN 0-9514987-7-0
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lindsey — als Verwaltungsgrafschaft (1888–1974) Lindsey ist einer der traditionellen Gebietsteile der Grafschaft Lincolnshire in England. Die andere Gebiete sind Holland und Kesteven. Der Name geht auf das Königreich Lindsey aus der Zeit der Heptarchie… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lindsey — Lindsey, OH U.S. village in Ohio Population (2000): 504 Housing Units (2000): 209 Land area (2000): 1.541492 sq. miles (3.992447 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.541492 sq. miles (3.992447 sq.… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Lindsey, OH — U.S. village in Ohio Population (2000): 504 Housing Units (2000): 209 Land area (2000): 1.541492 sq. miles (3.992447 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.541492 sq. miles (3.992447 sq. km) FIPS code … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Lindsey — Lindsey, Theophilus, geb. 1723 zu Middlewich in Chesshire, studirte in Cambridge, wurde Caplan beim Herzog von Somerset u. bereiste mit dessen Sohn 1754–56 den Continent, wurde dann Pfarrer in Kirkby Wiek, Piddelton, Catterick; zu der Überzeugung … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Lindsey — (spr. linse), nordöstlicher Teil von Lincolnshire (England), seit 1888 besondere Grafschaft, hat ein Areal von 3889 qkm (70,6 QM.) mit (1901) 206,528 Einw. (53 auf 1 qkm) … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Lindsey — Pour l’article homophone, voir Lindsay. Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Lindsey peut désigner : Sommaire … Wikipédia en Français
Lindsey — /lind zee, lin /, n. 1. Ben(jamin Barr) /bahr/, 1869 1943, U.S. jurist and authority on juvenile delinquency. 2. a male or female given name. * * * ▪ Anglo Saxon kingdom and bishopric an early Anglo Saxon kingdom and bishopric, probably… … Universalium
Lindsey — A name stongly associated with Scotland but is actually of Norman ancestry from De dimesay, Pays de Caux, Rouen. The name first appears in Scotland in the early 12th Century but is not recorded in England until 1272 (Lindsey of Suffolk).… … Surnames reference
Lindsey — Lindsay, Lindsey englischer Name, Bedeutung: Insel der Lindenbäume, angelehnt an einen Orts und Familiennamen; auch ein Jungenname … Deutsch namen
Lindsey — noun /ˈlɪnzi/ A former Anglo Saxon kingdom, now a division of Lincolnshire, England … Wiktionary