subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_name = UKR
map_caption =Location of Lutsk within Bosnia and Herzegovina.
official_name = Luts’k
native_name = Луцьк
imagesize = 250px
image_shield = Lutsk-COA.png
mapsize = 250px
map_caption = Map of Ukraine with Lutsk highlighted.
subdivision_type = Country
established_title = Founded
established_date = 1085
cityrights_title = City Rights
cityrights_date = 1432
leader_name = Bohdan Shyba
area_total_km2 = 42.0
population_as_of = 2005
population_total = 202900|population_footnotes=
population_metro =| population_density_km2 = 4830|pushpin_
pushpin_map_caption =Location of Lutsk
latd=50 |latm=45 |lats=00 |latNS=N
longd=25 |longm=20 |longs=09 |longEW=E
elevation_m = 174
postal_code = 43000
area_code = +380 332
|website = [http://www.lutsk.ua www.lutsk.ua]
Lutsk ( _uk. Луцьк, translit. "Luts’k", _pl. Łuck) is a city located by the
Styr Riverin north-western Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Volyn Oblast(province), as well as the administrative center of the surrounding Lutsky Raion(district) within the oblast. The city itself is also designated as its own separate raion within the oblast.
The current estimated population is around 206,000 (
as of 2007).
Lutsk is an ancient Slavic town, mentioned in the
Hypatian Chronicleas Luchesk in the records under 1085. The etymology of the name is unclear. There are three hypotheses:
* the name is derived from the old-Slavic word "luka", an arc or bend (of a river).
* the name is derived from Luka, the chieftain of the "
Dulebs", an ancient Slavic tribe living in the area
* the name is derived from "Luchanii" (Luchans), an ancient branch of the aforementioned tribeIt is also historically known in
Russian languageas Луцк, and in the Polish languageas Łuck.
According to legends, Luchesk was founded in the 7th century. However, the first known documental reference is from the year 1085. The town was the capital of
Halych-Volyniauntil the foundation of Volodymyr-Volynsky.
The town was founded around a wooden castle built by a local branch of the
Rurik Dynasty. At times the stronghold was a capital of the duchy, but since there was no need for a fixed capital in medieval Europe, the town did not become an important centre of commerce or culture. In 1240 the nearby town was seized and looted by the Tatars, but the castle was not harmed. In 1321 George son of Lev, the last of the line, died in a battle with the forces of Gediminas, Grand Duke of Lithuaniaand the castle was seized by the forces of the latter. In 1349 the town was captured by the forces of Casimir III, but it was soon retaken by Lithuania.
During the Lithuanian rule the town began to prosper.
Liubartas, son of Gediminas, erected a stone castle as a part of his fortification effort. Vytautas the Greatfounded the proper town by importing colonists (mostly Jews, Tartars, Armeniansand Karaims). In 1427 he also transferred the Catholic bishopric from Volodymyrto Luchesk. Vytautaswas the last monarch to underline the title of "Duke of Volhynia" and reside in the Luchesk castle. The town grew very fast and by the end of the 15th century there were 19 Orthodox and 2 Catholic churches. It was the seat of two Christian bishops: Catholic and Orthodox. Because of that, the town was nick-named the "Volhynian Rome". The cross of Lutsk is featured on the highest Lithuanian Presidential award Order of Vytautas the Great.In 1429 Lutsk was a meeting place for a conference of monarchs on handling the Tartar threat organized by Jogailaand Sophia of Halshany. Among those invited were Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor, Vasili II the Blind of Russia, king of Denmark Eric of Pomerania, Grand Master of the Livonian Order Zisse von Rutenberg, Duke of Szczecin Kazimierz V, Dan II the "Hospodar" of Wallachiaand Prince-electors of most of countries of Germany.
After the death of
Švitrigailain 1432 Volhyniabecame a fiefof the Crown of Poland and the town became the seat of the governors, and later the "Marshalls of the Land of Volhynia". The same year, Lutsk was granted Magdeburg rights. In 1569 Volhynia was fully incorporated into the Polish Crownand the town became the capital of the Volhynian Voivodeship and the Łuck powiat. After the Union of Lublinthe local Orthodox bishop converted to Greek-Catholicism.
The town continued to prosper as an important economic centre of the region. By mid-17th century Łuck had approximately 50,000 inhabitants and was one of the largest in the area. During the
Khmelnytskyi Uprisingthe town was seized by the forces of Colonel Kolodko. Up to 4,000 people were slaughtered, approximately 35,000 fled and the town was looted and partially burnt. It never fully recovered. In addition, in 1781 the city was struck by a fire which destroyed 440 houses, both cathedrals, and several other churches.
In 1795 as a result of
Partitions of Poland, Lutsk was annexed by Russia. The Voivodeshipwas liquidated and the town lost its significance as the capital of the province (which was moved to Zhytomir). After the November Uprisingefforts increased to remove Polish influence and Russian became dominant. The Greek Catholicchurches were turned into Orthodox Christian ones which caused the self-liquidation of the Unia here. In 1845 another great fire struck the city further depopulating it.
In 1850 three major
forts were built around Lutsk and the town became a small fortress called "Mikhailogorod". During the First World Warthe town was seized by Austria-Hungaryon August 29, 1915. The town was slightly damaged. During more than a year of Austro-Hungarian occupation Lutsk became an important military centre with the headquarters of the IV Army under Archduke Josef Ferdinand stationed there. However, poor food supply led to a plague of epidemic typhuswhich decimated the city's inhabitants.
On June 4, 1916 four Russian armies under general
Aleksei Brusilovstarted, what later became known as the Brusilov Offensive. After up to three days of heavy artillery barrage, the Battle of Lutskbegan. On June 7, 1916 the Russian forces reconquered the city. After the Treaty of Brest-Litovskin 1917 the city was seized by Germany on February 7, 1918. On February 22, 1918 the town was transferred by the withdrawing German army to the forces loyal to Simon Petlura. However, on May 16, 1919 it was captured by Polish forces under Gen. Aleksander Karnicki.
After the World War I Łuck was annexed by the newly-reborn
Polandas the capital of the Volhynian Voivodeship. It was connected by railroadto Lvivand Przemyśland several factories were built both in the city and its outskirts. 13 "Kresowy" Light Artillery Regiment was stationed in the city centre. In 1938 the construction of the biggest and the most modern radio transmitter was started in the city. On January 1, 1939 Łuck itself had 39,000 inhabitants (approximately 17,500 Jews and 13,500 Poles). The powiatformed around the town had 316,970 inhabitants, with 59% of Ukrainians, 19.5% of Poles, 14% of Jews and approximately 23,000 Czechsand Germans.Fact|date=January 2008
In 1939 as a result of the Invasion of Poland and the
Molotov-Ribbentrop PactLutsk, along with the rest of eastern Volyn was annexed by the Soviet Union. Most of the factories (including the almost-finished radio station) were dismantled and sent to Russia. Approximately 10 000 of the city's inhabitants (mostly Poles) were sent to Kazakhstan(more than 7,000 people) or arrested by the NKVD(approximately 1,550).
After the start of
Operation Barbarossathe city was captured by the Wehrmacht, but not before thousands of Polish and Ukrainian prisoners were shot by the retreating NKVD. Upon Nazi occupation most of the Jewish inhabitants of the city were forced into a ghettoand then murdered at the "Polanka" hill nearby the city. During the Massacres of Poles in Volhyniaapproximately 10,000 Poles were murdered by the Ukrainian Insurgent Armyin the area.
Following the end of the war the remaining Polish inhabitants of the city were expelled, mostly to the Polish
Regained Territories. The city became an industrial centre in the Ukrainian SSR. The numerous changing in city demographics meant that by the end of the war the city was almost entirely Ukrainian.
Being one of the largest cities of Western Ukraine, in 2003 Lutsk hosted a [http://www.konsulat.lutsk.ua/ General Consulate of Poland] .
Industry and commerce
Lutsk is an important centre of industry. Factories of cars, shoes, bearings, furniture, machines and electronics, as well as weaveries, steel mills and a chemical plant are located in the area.
Culture and science
The city has an opera, an art gallery and a regional museum. A school for teachers (subordinate to the
Lviv Polytechnic) is located in the city.
Places of interest
* parts of two castles (the Upper Castle from the 13th century and the Lower Castle from the 14th century)
* a Catholic cathedral (built 1610 as a Jesuit church, reconstructed in 1781)
* an Orthodox cathedral (built 1755 as a church and monastery of
* Several monasteries, both Catholic and Orthodox:
Basilians(17th century), Dominicans (17th century), Trinitarians(18th century) and Charites (?)(18th century)
* Two 16th century Greek-Catholic churches
synagogue("Little Castle", 15th century)
* the villages of
Trochenbrodand Lozishtnear by
Famous people from Lutsk
* Rabbi Shlomo Flam - The Maggid of Lutzk - The student and editor of the
Magid of Mezritchfirst published Hassidicbook, and teacher of the Grand Rabbi of Belz.
Peter Bondra— Ukrainian-born Slovak ice hockey player
* Alojzy Feliński — Polish scientist and writer
Anatoliy Tymoschuk— Ukrainian football player
Tartak— all the group members were born in Lutsk
Oksana Zabuzhko- contemporary Ukrainian poet, writer and essayist
Raul Bajczman- contemporary Ukrainian-Argentinian politician (in Argentina) born in Lutsk in 1927
Shmuel Shilo- Israeli theatre and cinema actor
*flagicon|Georgia Gori, Georgia
* [http://www.lutsk.ua/english/ www.lutsk.ua/english/] — Official website of Lutsk City Council en icon
* [http://www.lutsk.ua/ www.lutsk.ua] — Official website of Lutsk City Council uk icon
* [http://welcome.lutsk.ua/ welcome.lutsk.ua] — European Lutsk uk icon
* [http://www.bfcollection.net/cities/ukraine/lutsk/lutsk.html Lutsk, Ukraine] — Historic images of Lutsk
* [http://www.bjbark.com/lutsk,_ukraine.htm Lutsk, Ukraine] — Steinberg family history site
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
LUTSK — (Pol. Łuck), capital of Volhynia district, Ukraine; until the end of the 18th century in Poland; under Russia until the end of World War I; between the two world wars again in Poland; and in 1939 annexed by the U.S.S.R., and included in the… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Lutsk — en el mapa de Ucrania. El escudo de Lutsk. Lutsk (en ucraniano Луцьк, en ruso Луцк, en … Wikipedia Español
Lutsk — Luzk (Луцьк) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lutsk — Loutsk Loutsk Луцьк … Wikipédia en Français
Lutsk — /loohtsk/, n. a city in NW Ukraine, on the Styr River. 167,000. Polish, Luck. * * * ▪ Ukraine also spelled Luck , Polish Łuck , German Luck city, northwestern Ukraine, on a defensive site at a bend in the Styr River. It was a tribal… … Universalium
Lutsk — Luckas (Lithuanian), Luţk (Romanian), Lutsk / Luts’k / Луцьк (Ukrainian), Łuck (Polish) … Names of cities in different languages
Lutsk — [[t]lutsk[/t]] n. geg a city in NW Ukraine, on the Styr River. 204,000 … From formal English to slang
Lutsk — noun A city on the Styr river in north western Ukraine, administrative centre of Volyn province (oblast). Syn: Luchesk … Wiktionary
Lutsk — ► C. de Ucrania, cap. de la prov. de Volyn; 172 000 h. Polaca hasta 1791 y en 1919 39 … Enciclopedia Universal
Lutsk — /loohtsk/, n. a city in NW Ukraine, on the Styr River. 167,000. Polish, Luck … Useful english dictionary