- The Ripping Friends
show_name = The Ripping Friends
rating = USA:TV-14 / USA:TV-PG (original rating), Canada:TV8
runtime = approx. 30 minutes
John Kricfalusiand Jim Smith
Harvey Atkin(Crag, original)
Mark Dailey(Crag, 2001)
Michael Kerr(Chunk) Mike MacDonald(Rip)
John K. (Citrocet, 2001)
FOX Networkand Cartoon Network (USA), Teletoon (Canada), CNX(UK)
September 8, 2001
last_aired = Unknown date,
num_episodes = 13|
"The Ripping Friends" is an American animated
televisionseries, created by John Kricfalusi and Jim Smith. The show premiered September 8, 2001 on the FOX Network. It was canceled after one season. Cartoon Network later picked up the show for its Adult Swimprogramming block. The series occasionally airs in Canada on Teletoon. The series also aired briefly in the UK on the CNX channel.
Kricfalusi and his long-time partner Smith created the "Ripping Friends" before they created the similar superhero
Powdered Toast Manfor " The Ren and Stimpy Show". After Nickelodeon fired Kricfalusi from "The Ren and Stimpy Show" in September 1992, he had plans to make a feature film starring the world’s "manliest men." [" [http://abc.net.au/fly/tvfreak/feature/johnk_1.htm Ripping Friends] ," "ABC"] The feature film plan was scrapped, but the characters were used in The Ripping Friends. The Canadian studio hired to do the layouts used the same poses over and over again, and made the artwork look less like the usual Spümcøstyle. This generated much criticism, most notably from John Kricfalusihimself. [http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/10/maintaining-guts-from-department-to.html and various other articles, which you can find at http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/search?q=ripping+friends] The Ripping Friends lasted for thirteen episodes.
The show centered on a group of four
superhumanbrothers who attempt to fight crime from their base, RIPCOT (the Really Impressive Prototype City Of (Next) Tuesday): Crag, Rip, Slab, and Chunk, Crag being the leader. Friends of the four include Jimmy The Idiot Boy, a mentally-challenged drooling child, and their foster mother He-Mom (the name speaks for itself). The villains range from the Indigestible Wad (a wad of gum who sucks moisture out of people), to Flathead (an invertebratein search of a spine), to their own underpants.
Each episode was usually tagged with a short episode which Kricfalusi says was composed of “left overs.” [" [http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/07/ripping-friends-satire.html Ripping Friends Satire] ," "All Kinds of Stuff" at
Blogspot] These segments were called “Rip Along with the Ripping Friends” and usually portrayed the Ripping Friends solving the problems of fans. These included: addressing the fact that hot dogs come in packs of 8 and the buns in packs of 12; “ripping” the man who creates insane video game controllers and the man who writes the instructions for them; and finding out why toys no longer come in cereal boxes, among others. In each segment viewers (referred to as "kids") are asked to “rip along” with the action by ripping pieces of paper up in front of the television when coaxed to.
* The Indigestible Wad: A young girl’s wad of chewing gum, that she has been chewing since before she was born, is granted
sentience/ sapiencefrom a dentist’s x-raymachine. The wad wanders the streets at night, sucking up people’s moisture to sustain himself, turning them into “flavourless” zombies.
* Flathead’s Revenge: When the boys go swimming in the local water hole Chunk finds that he has a
flatwormattached to his armpit. After being removed, the flatworm decides to take one of the brothers’ back bones and then wreaks havoc on the town with some of his invertebrate brethren.
* Frictor: Frictor, the master of
friction, is created when the brothers' calluses are exposed to radiation. The Ripping Friends eventually track him to the moon.
* Rip’s Shorts: Rip's shorts alter at the molecular level after being thrown into space. The shorts become evil and take control of Jimmy and then Pooperman, causing them to do “evil” things. The other three brothers mobilize to stop the shorts.
* Ovulator: The boys discover that there is a shortage of
beefand they send Slab out to rectify the situation, as he is the only one not affected by the lack of beef in his system. He soon discovers that a mad chicken, calling "him"self the Ovulator, is holding cowshostage.
* Manman and Boyboy: A duo of supposed crime fighters called Manman and Boyboy are wandering around “solving crimes” with flesh coloured accessories. Their brand of crime fighting is soon revealed to be simply putting Boyboy in peril for no good reason. Crag sets out, because he has not had his own episode yet, to foil the duo and save Boyboy by dressing himself up as Man Friend and Jimmy as Boy Pal to save Boyboy.
* Stinky Butt: Citrasett, a dictator from "Euroslavia" voiced by Kricfalusi, is banished to the nether regions of the Earth by the Ripping Friends after attempting to destroy it. There, due to some mystical energy, Citrasett gains the ability to control his
flatulencewith destructive results.
* Muscle Magician: Chunk is being made fun of by the other, 36-year-old brothers for only being 35 and a half, and therefore a “kid,” so he runs away and attends a
circusperformance where he finds a magician who controls people’s muscles. The magician, realizing the potential that Chunk poses, possesses his muscles and has him commit robbery of the many national banks in town.
* Jimmy’s Kidnapped: Citrasett and a gorilla (named "Gorilla Friend" in an
organ grindermonkey outfit, later "Anaxamander - the Noble Primate" in a " Pericleshelmet") kidnap Jimmy the Hapless Idiot Boy after Rip harasses him into running away. The Ripping Friends track him down to find that they are torturing Jimmy so Rip knocks out the gorilla, steals his fur, and infiltrates Citrasett’s basement to rescue Jimmy.
* Dr. Jean Poole: The four boys get a lesson on “girls” from He-Mom and, as a final lesson, sets them up on a date with a Dr. Jean Poole. All five of them go out on the date together to the drive in.
* The Man from Next Thursday, Part One: Someone breaks into RIPCOT’s secret vault and steals the Ripping Friends' "perfect" DNA, which he turns into "Riptonite" in order to kill the Ripping brothers. The intruder is revealed to be a man with a thumb protruding from his chest, who claims to be from “next Thursday.”
* The Man from Next Thursday, Part Two: The man from next Thursday relates his plan to his intelligent cat, revealing that his attempts to kill the Ripping Friends is based on revenge; the Ripping Friends ripped off and then re-attached his chest-thumb's nail back on the wrong way, making him a freak in the world of next Thursday.
* Infernal Wedding: Citrasett returns with his ministers of war, propaganda and slapping to take over the world. He decides to seduce He-Mom in an effort to get close to, and rid himself of, the Ripping Brothers, eventually asking He-Mom to marry him. The Ripping Brothers must now follow his orders "as if they were [He-Mom's] own".
* In a segment where Rip is asked by a fan to find out why hot dogs come in packs of twelve and hot dog buns come in packs of eight, Rip beats up a male hot dog and a female bun and asks them to “hug.” The hot dog begins to slip inside the bun, and the segment immediately fades to black. [" [http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/12/hotdogs-and-buns-should-get-along.html hotdogs and buns should get along] ," "All Kinds of Stuff"]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Ripping Friends — Seriendaten Originaltitel The Ripping Friends Produktionsland Kanada, Vereinigte Staaten … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Ren & Stimpy Show — Title card Also known as Ren Stimpy Genre Black comedy … Wikipedia
The Bizarro Jerry — Seinfeld episode Episode no. Season 8 Episode 3 Directed by Andy Ackerman Written by … Wikipedia
The Defence of Duffer's Drift — … Wikipedia
The Richardson Gang — The Richardsons In South London, United Kingdom Founded by The Richardson brothers Years active 1960 Territory London, United Kingdom Criminal activities drug trafficking, extortion, theft, fraud … Wikipedia
The Adventures of Letterman — was an animated skit that was a regular feature on the 1971–1977 PBS television series The Electric Company .Created by Mike Thaler, this super hero spoof debuted during The Electric Company s second season, and quickly became one of the show s… … Wikipedia
The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper — Compilation par Alice Cooper Sortie 20 avril 1999 Enregistrement 1965 1997 Durée Près de 5 heures Genre Hard rock … Wikipédia en Français
The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper — The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper … Википедия
The Umbrella Academy — Supercbbox| title = The Umbrella Academy caption = Promotional artwork schedule = Monthly, every third Wednesday format = Limited series publisher = Dark Horse Comics date = September 19, 2007cite web |url=http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile … Wikipedia
The Yellow Wallpaper (radio) — Broadcast historyThe Radio Tales production of “The Yellow Wallpaper” was first broadcast via NPR on December 10, 1996 [National Public Radio: NPR Quarterly Edition Fall 1996 . NPR Marketing, Vol. II, No. IV] . The program encompassed two half… … Wikipedia