- Massimo Busacca
Massimo Busacca Personal information Born 6 February 1969
Other occupation Business proprietor Domestic Years League Role 1996–2011 Swiss Super League Referee International Years League Role 1999–2011 FIFA listed Referee
Busacca used to play football in a lower division in Ticino, then he worked for a petroleum company in the Middle East. He became a referee in 1990. He has been a referee in the Swiss Super League since 1996, and a FIFA referee since 1999.
2006 FIFA World Cup
While refereeing a World Cup match between Ukraine and Spain, Busacca made a decision against Vladislav Vaschuk, giving the player a red card and awarding a penalty kick against Ukraine in the 47th minute of the match. Multiple angles of the infraction showed no physical contact inside the penalty area, preceded by a tug on the pants of Fernando Torres in the penalty area by Vladislav Vaschuk. David Villa of Spain slotted home the resulting penalty against Ukrainian keeper Oleksandr Shovkovsky. It is unlikely that the outcome of the match might have been altered as, before that penalty kick, Spain were up 2-0 and dominating the game both in possession and goal chances. In a similar situation involving Ukraine's Andriy Voronin and the Spanish defence, the referee decided no foul had occurred.
In a later match in the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Busacca did not show the red card to Argentinian defender Gabriel Heinze after an errant throw by Argentinian goalkeeper Roberto Abbondanzieri resulted in a breakaway by Mexican striker Francisco Fonseca and a subsequent foul by Heinze. Bussacca instead gave Heinze a yellow card.
Busacca was one of the twelve referees who remained in the play-off rounds from the quarter finals onwards.
2006 Basel hooligan incident
Busacca refereed an infamous Swiss Super League match on the last day of the 2005-2006 season between FC Basel and FC Zürich at St. Jakob Park in Basel. Basel, who hadn't lost at home in the past 59 league matches at St. Jakob Park, only needed a draw to secure their fourth championship in five years. The game was still tied at the 90-minute mark, but at the end of the very last minute of stoppage time, Zürich defender Iulian Filipescu scored the winning goal, immediately followed by Busacca's final whistle. At that point, many fans, mostly Basel fans, stormed the field. Basel supporters attacked Zürich players and fought with Zürich supporters. More trouble continued outside the park throughout the night.
2007 UEFA Cup Final
Busacca took charge of the 2007 UEFA Cup Final at Hampden Park on 16 May, one of the biggest appointments for a UEFA referee. Busacca sent off RCD Espanyol midfielder Moisés Hurtado for a second bookable offence during the match.
16 May 2007
Espanyol 2 – 2 (a.e.t.)
(1 – 3 pen.)
Sevilla Hampden Park, Glasgow
Hurtado 13', 68'
(Report) 18' Adriano
62' L. Fabiano
Penalties Luis García
1 – 3 Kanouté
UEFA Euro 2008
At the tournament, Busacca was the referee for the:
- Group C game between Netherlands and Romania.
- Group D game between Greece and Sweden.
- Semi Final match between Germany and Turkey.
2009 UEFA Champions League Final
27 May 2009
Barcelona 2 – 0 Manchester United Stadio Olimpico, Rome
2009 FIFA Confederations Cup
He was chosen as a referee for the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, refereeing the United States-Brazil match on 18 June 2009 in which Busacca showed Sacha Kljestan a red card and Brazil went on to win 3-2.
FC Baden v Young Boys Incident
On 19 September 2009, Busacca was the referee in a Swiss Cup match between FC Baden and BSC Young Boys. After crowd trouble disrupted the game after home side Baden took an unlikely lead, Busacca raised his middle finger to the crowd. Busacca had initially denied making the obscene gesture but was handed a three match ban by the Swiss Football Association and was forced to issue an apology.
2010 FIFA World Cup
He was selected as a referee for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and refereed the South Africa vs. Uruguay game.
He awarded a penalty and showed the red card to the South African goalkeeper, Itumeleng Khune, in the 77th minute, for tripping the Uruguay striker, Luis Suárez. South Africa went on to lose the game 3-0, and Khune became just the second goalkeeper to be sent off in World Cup history. South Africa boss Carlos Alberto Parreira claimed that "Myself and everyone else said it was the worst referring performance in this competition so far". This proved to be Busacca's only match at the tournament, as he was released after the Round of 16.
16 June 2010
South Africa 0 – 3 Uruguay Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria
Report Forlán 24', 80' (pen.)
Á. Pereira 90+5'
2010–11 UEFA Champions League, Barcelona vs Arsenal
In the 2010–11 UEFA Champions League tournament, Busacca was appointed to referee the second leg of the round-of-16 tie between Barcelona and Arsenal, with Arsenal taking a 2–1 lead into the match from the first leg.
In the 55th minute and with the score tied at 1–1, he issued a second yellow card to dismiss Arsenal's Robin van Persie for time wasting. Van Persie had been cautioned for a foul in the first half; then, in the process of an attack in the second half, he was flagged offside but took a shot at goal after Busacca had blown his whistle signalling the offence. Van Persie claimed not to have heard the whistle over the noise of the crowd. Despite being within the rules of the game, the decision was heavily criticized by Arsene Wenger and Arsenal players for sending off a player for such a perceived minor infraction. Some football critics also criticised the decision while Rio Ferdinand praised Busacca as "the best around". Arsene Wenger and Samir Nasri both were banned for one match by UEFA due to improper conduct following their criticism of Busacca after the match. Wenger was also fined €10,000.
2010-11 Cypriot Cup Final
Apollon 1 – 1 (a.e.t.) Omonia GSZ Stadium, Larnaca
Referee: Massimo Busacca
Elias Charalambous(og) 84' Michalis Konstantinou 12' Penalties Mrdaković
3 – 4 Konstantinou
2010–11 Cypriot Cup#Final
Retirement and subsequent ventures
- ^ Factsheet 2 - Korrektur
- ^ WorldReferee.com - referee - Massimo Busacca - bio
- ^ Referees named for EURO 2008, uefa.com, December 19, 2007
- ^ Referee Rosetti gets Euro 2008 final, AFP, June 24, 2008
- ^ "Full Time Report" (PDF). uefa.com. Union of European Football Association. 27 May 2009. http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/ucl/2009/302813_fr.pdf. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- ^ Wilson, Steve (22 September 2009). "Swiss referee Massimo Busacca banned for giving fans the 'finger'". The Telegraph (London). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/6217809/Swiss-referee-Massimo-Busacca-banned-for-giving-fans-the-finger.html. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ "Swiss ref banned over fan insult". BBC News. 21 September 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8268036.stm. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ http://worldreferee.com/site/copy.php?linkID=29&linkType=referee&contextType=dyk
- ^ Wheeler, Chris. "Oh no, not you again! Sir Alex Ferguson reunited with controversial referee Massimo Busacca for AC Milan return". Daily Mail (London). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1256487/Oh-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-reunited-controversial-referee-Massimo-Busacca-AC-Milan-return.html.
- ^ http://www.iol.co.za/sport/whistle-men-who-give-the-game-a-bad-name-1.613342?ot=inmsa.ArticlePrintPageLayout.ot
- ^ Beckles, Kieran (8 March 2011). "Referee Massimo Busacca is no stranger to controversy". The Sport Review. http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2011/03/massimo-busacca-referee-barcelona-arsenal/. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ "Barcelona do enough and qualify for the Champions League quarter finals Read more: http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_29537.shtml#ixzz1G6Cgt4Tb". typicallyspanish.com. 8 March 2011. http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_29537.shtml. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ . http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/james-lawton/james-lawton-van-persie-row-at-nou-camp-highlights-footballing-crisis-15107760.html.
- ^ "Barcelona 3 - 1 Arsenal (agg 4 - 3)". BBC Sport. 8 March 2011. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9416255.stm. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ Van Wijk, Jim; Sport, Pa (8 March 2011). "Van Persie off as Barca beat Gunners again". The Independent (London). http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/van-persie-off-as-barca-beat-gunners-again-2236227.html.
- ^ Williamson, Laura (9 March 2011). "We were Rob-ed! Arsenal vent anger at referee Busacca after Van Persie red card". Daily Mail (London). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1364390/Arsenal-vent-anger-ref-Massimo-Busacca-Robin-Van-Persie-red-card.html. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ "Arsenal criticise referee after defeat by Barcelona". BBC Sport. 9 March 2011. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9419375.stm. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ Chhan, Marcus (8 March 2011). "Refereeing, no laughing matter". ESPN Star. http://www.espnstar.com/football/from-the-desk/news/detail/item592913/Refereeing,-no-laughing-matter/. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ Samuel, Martin (9 March 2011). "Bungling referee Massimo Busacca makes it easier for Barcelona masters". Daily Mail (London). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1364362/Martin-Samuel-Bungling-referee-Massimo-Busacca-makes-easier-Barcelona-masters.html. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- ^ Custis, Neil (10 March 2011). "Tweet 'n sour as Rio praises ref". The Sun. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3456896/Arsenal-fans-are-furious-that-Rio-Ferdinand-tweeted-that-the-Nou-Camp-ref-was-best-around.html. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- ^ Jacskson, Jamie (March 17, 2011). "Arsenal's Arsène Wenger and Samir Nasri banned for one match by Uefa". Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/17/arsene-wenger-samir-nasri-ban-uefa. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- ^ . http://www.rodvand.net/martin/blog/2011/07/14/massimo-busacca-retires-moves-into-fifa-position/.
- ^ http://worldreferee.com/site/copy.php?linkID=29&linkType=referee&contextType=dyk
- This article incorporates information from the revision as of June 14, 2006 of the equivalent article on the German Wikipedia.
UEFA Cup Final 2006
UEFA Cup Final Referees
UEFA Cup Final 2008
UEFA Champions League Final 2008
UEFA Champions League Referees
UEFA Champions League Final 2010
Referees at the 2010 FIFA World Cup AFC CAF CONCACAF CONMEBOL OFC UEFA UEFA Referees at the 2006 FIFA World Cup AFC CAF CONCACAF CONMEBOL OFC UEFA
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Massimo Busacca — (2011) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Massimo Busacca — Nombre completo Massimo Busacca Apodo: Fecha de nacimiento 8 de febrero de 1969 … Wikipedia Español
Massimo Busacca — en 2011 Massimo Busacca est un arbitre suisse de football né le 6 février 1969 à Bellinzone, dans le canton du Tessin. Il est d origine sicilienne, précisément de Grammichele dans la province de Catane. Son … Wikipédia en Français
Busacca — Datei:Massimo Busacca.jpg Massimo Busacca 2009 Massimo Busacca (* 6. Februar 1969 in Bellinzona) ist ein Schweizer Fussballschiedsrichter. Er wohnt in Monte Carasso bei Bellinzona. Der Geschäftseigentümer, dessen Heimatverein der US Monte Carasso … Deutsch Wikipedia
Phase qualificative de la Coupe du monde de football 2006 — Infobox compétition sportive Éliminatoires de la coupe du monde 2006 Sport Football Organisateur(s) FIFA Éditions 17e Date printemps … Wikipédia en Français
Rencontres de la Ligue des champions de l'UEFA 2009-2010 — Article principal : Ligue des champions de l UEFA 2009 2010. Cet article présente les résultats détaillés des rencontres de la Ligue des champions de l UEFA 2009 2010. Sommaire 1 Phase de groupes 1.1 Groupe A 1.2 Groupe B … Wikipédia en Français
Coupe du monde de football des moins de 20 ans 2005 — Infobox compétition sportive Coupe du monde de football des moins de 20 ans 2005 Sport Football Organisateur(s) FIFA Éditions 15e Lieu … Wikipédia en Français
Ligue Des Champions 2008-2009 — Ligue des champions de l UEFA 2008 2009 Ligue des champions de l UEFA 2008 2009 Sport Football … Wikipédia en Français
Ligue des Champions 2008-2009 — Ligue des champions de l UEFA 2008 2009 Ligue des champions de l UEFA 2008 2009 Sport Football … Wikipédia en Français
Ligue des Champions de l'UEFA 2008-2009 — Sport Football … Wikipédia en Français