- Central Connecticut State University
Central Connecticut State University Established 1849 Type Public university Endowment $23 million President Jack Miller Admin. staff 416 Undergraduates 9,678 Postgraduates 2,637 Location New Britain, Connecticut, United States Campus Suburban, 165-acre (0.67 km2) Colors Blue and White Athletics NCAA Division I Sports 18 varsity teams Nickname Blue Devils Mascot Blue Devil Affiliations Northeast Conference Website www.ccsu.edu
Central Connecticut State University is a state university in New Britain, Connecticut, United States. The school was moved to its present campus in 1922. The school's slogan is "Start with a dream, finish with a future."
1849: Founded as New Britain Normal School to train teachers (6th normal school in US) 1867–69: Closed due to opposition in Connecticut General Assembly. 1920s: States begin four year education degrees. 1930: State Board of Education extends normal school curriculum from two to three years 1933: General Assembly creates Teachers College of Connecticut. Last two-year diplomas granted 1934: First bachelor's degrees granted to 61 students 1935: Last three-year diploma awarded 1959: Renamed Central Connecticut State College. 1983: Renamed Central Connecticut State University
Recognitions and rankings
- Association of American Colleges and Universities: one of 16 "Leadership Institutions" in the nation
- Honors Program called "Absolutely Outstanding" in Princeton Review's "The Best Northeastern Colleges", 2006 edition
- The Connecticut Board of Governors for Higher Education designates International Studies and of Public Policy and Practical Politics, and the School of Technology as "Centers of Excellence."
- 2001, first institution to offer an online Master of Science in data mining.
- Recognized by the NAACP in 2008 as an official stop on the underground railroad.
- $1-million federal grant to fund prepare future teachers to use technology.
CCSU is noteworthy for its politically active student body. The Progressive Student Alliance (PSA) serves students who are left-leaning/liberal, and has been active since 2002 and has hosted dozens of forums, guest speakers, protests and other events. The CCSU College Republicans generally serve the conservative/right-leaning students, hosting events including forums and speeches. Also active are PRIDE (the campus student organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students) and Women Involved Now (WIN) organizations.
Student Government Association
The CCSU Student Government Association is made up entirely of undergraduate students, focused on the betterment of campus life and campus issues. The CCSU SGA also funds all undergraduate clubs and organizations, and hosts events on campus for all students to attend.
- Men's Rugby
- Men's Cross Country
- Men's Track and Field
- Men's Ice Hockey- ACHA Division II
- Women's Basketball
- Men's Basketball
- Men's Soccer
- Women's Soccer
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Men's Golf
- Eileen Albrizio – Poet & author; news anchor & journalist
- Al Bagnoli - Head Coach in football at the University of Pennsylvania
- Henry Barnard – Educator
- Dave Campo – Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys, Defensive Coordinator of the Cleveland Browns, and Defensive Backs Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, current defensive coach with the Dallas Cowboys
- Corsley Edwards – NBA player with the New Orleans Hornets
- Richard Grieco – Actor
- Justise Hairston - NFL football player with the Indianapolis Colts
- Kenny Johnson - Actor, The Shield, Sons of Anarchy
- Alfred "Skip" Jutze – Baseball player; St. Louis Cardinals, Houston Astros, and Seattle Mariners
- John Larson – U.S. Representative (D-CT) and former Connecticut Senate President
- Fran P. Mainella – Director of the National Park Service, 2001–06
- Scott Pioli – General Manager with the Kansas City Chiefs, and executive with the New England Patriots.
- Maria L. Sanford – Educator
- Mike Sherman – Head coach of the Green Bay Packers, and current head coach of the Texas A&M Aggies
- John Skladany – Defensive coordinator of the Houston Cougars and current special teams assistant for the University of Central Florida Knights.
- C. J. Stevens – Author of over 30 books
Current and former faculty
- Dr. Michael A. Bellesiles – Author
- David Blitz – Philosopher
- Dr. Isaac N. Carleton – Principal
- Dr. Gilbert L. Gigliotti – Author, WFCS Radio Host, blogger
- Ned Lamont – Chairman, Lamont Digital Systems
- Dr. Henry Lee – Forensic scientist
- Hasan Paksoy – Historian, author
- Dr. Moises Salinas – Author & psychologist
- Ravi Shankar – Poet
Clubs and activities
- The Recorder
- Helix Magazine
- WFCS 107.7
- Off-Center Magazine
- Alpha Upsilon Alpha, Beta Kappa chapter
- Marketing Club
- Lambda Theta Phi, Tau chapter
- CCSU PSA
- CCSU PRIDE
- Phi Delta Theta, Connecticut Alpha chapter
- CCSU Car Club
- Phi Sigma Sigma, Iota Delta Chapter
- CCSU Computer Club
- CCSU Physics and Earth Science Club
Classroom and office halls
- Elihu Burritt Library
- Lawrence J. Davidson Hall
- Marcus White Hall
- Henry Barnard Hall
- Herbert D. Welte Hall
- Harrison J. Kaiser Hall
- Emma Hart Willard Hall
- Maria Sanford Hall
- Frank J. DiLoreto Hall
- Nicolaus Copernicus Hall
- James J. Maloney Hall
- Robert C. Vance Academic Center
- Memorial Hall
- Student Center
- Thomas H. Gallaudet Hall
- Robert C. Vance Hall
- Samuel J. May Hall
- Robert E. Sheridan Hall
- Seth North Hall
- Mildred Barrows Hall
- Catharine Beecher Hall
- F. Don James Hall
- Clarence Carroll Hall
Copernican Observatory and Planetarium
The Copernican Observatory and Planetarium is located in Copernicus Hall and offers free shows for the general public and school groups.
Connecticut's other three state universities are:
- ^ "Central Connecticut State University (CCSU): Endowment Growth & Alumni Participation". Ccsu.edu. http://www.ccsu.edu/page.cfm?p=1820. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- ^ "Official Athletic Site". NCAA. http://www.ncaa.com/schools/127_Central_Conn_St.html. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- ^ Fowler 1949, p. 22.
- ^ Fowler 1949, p. 59.
- ^ Fowler 1949, p. 84.
- ^ "Waterboro Public Library". Waterborolibrary.org. http://www.waterborolibrary.org/MWI_detail.php?authID=390. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- Herbert E. Fowler, A Century of Teacher Education in Connecticut, New Britain CT: Teachers College of Connecticut, 1949.
- Central Connecticut State University
- CCSU Library
- CCSU Athletics / Scholastic discussion forum- Not affiliated with the University
- New England Knowledge Corridor
Colleges and universities in Connecticut Public institutions Private institutions Federal institutions Community Colleges Graduate, professional, and
Northeast Conference Connecticut State University System
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Central Connecticut State University — es una universidad estatal en Nueva Bretaña, Connecticut. Es la universidad pública con más antigüedad de Connecticut, y está en tercer puesto si se toman en cuenta todas las universidades del estado, habiendo sido fundada en 1849. Escuela normal … Wikipedia Español
Central Connecticut State University — Die Central Connecticut State University ist eine staatliche Universität in New Britain im US Bundesstaat Connecticut. 1849 gegründet, ist sie die älteste staatliche Hochschule in Connecticut. Derzeit sind 12.315 Studenten eingeschrieben. Sport… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Central Connecticut State University — ▪ university, New Britain, Connecticut, United States public, coeducational institution of higher learning in New Britain, Conn., U.S. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State University system. The university includes… … Universalium
Connecticut State University System — Seal of the Connecticut State University System Motto Qui Transtulit Sustinet Type Public university system … Wikipedia
Central Connecticut State Blue Devils men's basketball — Infobox CBB Team name = Central Connecticut State Blue Devils logo = logo size = 150px university = Central Connecticut State University conference = Northeast Conference conference short = Northeast division = city = New Britain stateabb = CT… … Wikipedia
Connecticut State University System — Das Connecticut State University System ist ein Verbund staatlicher Universitäten im US Bundesstaat Connecticut. Es wurde 1965 gegründet, wobei der älteste Standort schon 1849 gegründet wurde. An den vier Universitäten studieren derzeit 35.000… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Southern Connecticut State University — Infobox University name = Southern Connecticut State University established = 1893 type = Public School president= Cheryl J. Norton city = New Haven state = Conn. country = USA undergrad = 6,010 postgrad = 992 staff= 403 campus = Urban, 168 acres … Wikipedia
Southern Connecticut State University — ▪ university, New Haven, Connecticut, United States public, coeducational institution of higher education in New Haven, Conn., U.S. It is one of four institutions in the Connecticut State University system; the others are located in New… … Universalium
Western Connecticut State University — Established 1903 Type Public State university President James Schmotter … Wikipedia
Connecticut State Police — Abbreviation CSP Patch of the Connecticut State Police … Wikipedia